Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-28-2001, 04:28 AM   #31
Biker4751
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS reader feedback

Aahhhhh. . . finally, a bike that makes the KTM Duke II look less weird.
Biker4751 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2001, 04:33 AM   #32
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default You're right but don't forget the cruiser bunch...

i.e "it's ugly unless it imitates a Harley" who are also just as guilty of disdain for anything of truly innovative styling. There are a lot more of those than there are people who think it's ugly unless it looks like a Katana (personally I think Katanas are ugly, Triumph builds the only pretty sportbikes). But never mind my opinions of what's pretty, I don't think the F650CS is real "pretty" but I like it anyway. Finally somebody builds a streetbike that gives more than a passing thought to functionality (first time that's happened in many years, I think) and all people can talk about is how it's weird looking. Let's remember that once upon a time ALL motorcycles were weird contraptions, and give BMW some credit for having the unmitigated audicity to build a bike that is useful as everyday transportation and still plenty of fun on the real-world roads people actually ride, not the closed tracks that posers want to look like they just came from. It's about time.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:38 AM   #33
bigjames
Premium Member

they cornered that market decades ago (ugly bike market, I know, have bought several of them own a K12LT now). However, those are 3 of the top sellers. maybe they know something they we don't!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:39 AM   #34
sdgoes
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS reader feedback :MARKETING

It seems to me that there is a little resistance to this achivement in design. I think that what is needed is some solid marketing research in the states. I would be willing to make the effort by riding the bike for a year or two. And just to be sure I could ride it half the time and say a R1150RT the other half of the time for a comparison test. I am willing to help our German Friends free of charge. BMW I await your eager reply.

Steve
sdgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:47 AM   #35
heyjd
Founding Member

more power please....maybe good for inner city commutes but too expensive for that and there are a lot of used scooters good for that at about $600-1200.
heyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 04:50 AM   #36
hemoglobin
Founding Member

Default Re: Hm. Well. That

The SV650 and nighthawk may not reach 70 hp, but they are reasonably priced. Undoubtedly, this fugly contraption won't be. Not everyone is looking for 100hp; but if we're talking about cheap, fun transportation, BMW has never been close to that first criterion. Doesn't the current F650 cost about the same as the ZRX1200?
hemoglobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:20 AM   #37
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Different Design isn

If it was, we'd all be driving Pontiac Aztec's. I don't think this is a horribly ugly bike, but it is a little different. The styling, coupled with the traditional BMW price premium in the US, will probably keep it from being a big seller in the states. BMW could sell some here for $6,000 or $6,200 (like an SV), but I doubt they sell too many at $8,500 plus snap-on accessories.

I expect it will be a decent seller in Europe, as a stylized commuter/all-rounder (where it will probably sell for the equivalent of $6,000 to $6,200).
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:20 AM   #38
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

I LOVE this bike!!!

Ok, the styling is somewhat different that your basic wing or rice rocket but different is good. Finally a bike with its OWN style.

Pricey? Who cares, BMW's done their homework and will probably sell as many as they like (bigger market than just the US). Finally a bike manufacturer who makes interesting, useful, dare I say it... funky bikes.

Long live R1150GS's, Speed Triples, Dukes and the F650's

I may not want to buy one but I certainly want to see them on the road!

Chris.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:25 AM   #39
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: They who forget the past...

*lmao* Your killing me man...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:31 AM   #40
12er
Founding Member

Its just another model, not a replacement. They had the street only version when the Funduro first came out, there may even be a review on MO. This looks to be the reincarnation...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote