Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-27-2001, 04:19 PM   #11
MNRon
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS reader feedback

If I could get it in a color that didn't look like some sort of body function, this really wouldn't be that bad. Heck, I've toured on a KLR650, and I know that this bike would be better than that. If the price isn't out of line, I might find one in my garage. (Not likely, with the way BMW prices their bikes.)

MNRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2001, 04:25 PM   #12
kypd
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650 CS: Taking the concept further.

I like it. It's ugly, but ugly ins stylish sort of way. And it looks like somthing that can curb hop and deal with city streets well.

The "tank"-mounted storage is one of the most innovative things in a long while, but I'd like to see aftermarket manufacturers expand on it some. How about a sub-machinegun mount for the cagers that try to kill you? Or a small satellite dish so you can watch tube or read MO as you ride? An air conditioning unit? A cooler that can hold a six-pack? An electronic warfare pod for defeating police speed measuring devices? (Not all that necessary with 50 hp, but still . . . ) And with modular sound systems on bikes, how long until we have two-wheeled SPL contests? Yes, it's a brave new world. Thank you, BMW.

kypd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 04:41 PM   #13
aminalmutha
Founding Member

I kinda actually dig the looks, too. Certainly wouldn't loose your bike in a crowd. Not yet, anyways. Could be fun and practical, but BMW seems to offer waaay too little bang for the buck. Oh, and I would not be pleased if I had to take it to the dealer or do major disassembly to get the belt swapped. For that reason alone I'd prefer a chain. Interesting bike, but knowing about BMW's reputation for pricing, I have a feeling they won't be greatly expanding their market in the US with this bike.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 05:22 PM   #14
Dryfly
Registered Member

Functional....Creative....Butt Ugly (couldn't think of a better description)
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 05:35 PM   #15
Dryfly
Registered Member

I have to applaud everyone on the lighthearted comments. This is really fun reading for a change. I even laughed a couple of times! To think, it only took a few Germans with a bag of weed and an engineering degree to accomplish such a feat. Guys, keep on smoking the stuff, it takes my mind off of life's pressures (and the stress of putt'n the kids to bed).
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 05:39 PM   #16
vmxxx
Founding Member

Oh Lord! they've created first two wheeled SUV.....a sure hit with the M5 crowd!....I do however like to see thinking go in new directions...but know how far and in what direction you are going...all in all a cool little bike but a bit too much as far as the departure from the "norm" IMO.
vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 06:55 PM   #17
Jaime
Founding Member

With this new contraption, they OWN it!
Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:14 PM   #18
ratso4747
Founding Member

The thing is a two bagger.....at least. Why does BMW make such ugly bikes?
ratso4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:35 PM   #19
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Not as practical as you'd think

This bike would be a great all-rounder with it's light weight, sensible seating and powerband, and good luggage capacity...

If it wasn't so bloody EXPENSIVE. The F650GS is $8000+, and this will probably be the same. Keep in mind that an EX500 is $5000, an SV650 is $5500, a ZR7S is $6000, and even a ZRX1200 is under $7900. I don't care how trick the luggage system is, there is no reason that a 650 single should be $8k. Price it at $6000 or $6500 and it might sell.

As for the looks, let me be the first to say that it's kind of nice. The color scheme is all wrong--looks like a 1980's Denver Bronco--but if it was done up in silver and black it'd be pretty darned nice looking. The muffler's got to go, though--give us the sexy ones from the F650GS!
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 07:49 PM   #20
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I personally think that the R1150GS and the R1200C are beautiful bikes (though I have a few reservations about the F650CS). I'm ready to say that I think the R1200C Stiletto is the best-looking cruiser on the road.

But I also think that the 996 and the Deuce are ugly as hell. More proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Whether you personally like the looks or not, you've got to give BMW props for thinking outside the box.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote