Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-11-2001, 06:39 PM   #121
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default Proof that BMW are excellent value

Since about 1993 BMW have annually broken previous year sales records. Profits have increased commensurately. This material fact means they are priced well & considered good value by their target market (the only persons that matter). I challenge readers to post any reason for their opinion that BMW are bad value other than 1. not having the cash or credit worthiness to buy one or 2. having no interest in long-term ownership regardless of their cost. BMW generally do not compete against Japanese wares. BTW, Suzuki & Kawasaki are the ones with no profits & needing to merge forces, not BMW. BMW owners could generally not give a less what the Japanese are peddling. If there was incompetance or waste in BMW's production, marketing or delivery, sales would fall rather than grow. Don't be offended, rant or shout (capitals), just beat my challenge. Stamp out bike bigotry.

spkrplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2001, 01:42 AM   #122
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: H-D lean angles

<blockquote>BUt the Deuce has the best lean angles(for a Harley) </blockquote>

I thought that statement looked odd, so I went to H-D's site and compared the Deuce to the Super Glide Sport. The Deuce's 36.7° lean angle to the right DOES beat the SG Sport's 33.5° in the same direction BUT when the lean goes left the Deuce's 33.2° angle is less than the SG Sport's 34.5°. So the Deuce is not the Big Twin with the best lean angles, maybe the best [b]right[/i] lean angle, but not the best left.

HOWEVER: comparing the Deuce with a Sportster Sport gives me 36.7° right/33.2° left for the Deuce, 37.0° right/37.5° left for the Sportster Sport. No contest, the Sportster Sport wins!
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 01:57 AM   #123
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Proof that BMW are excellent value

<blockquote> I challenge readers to post any reason for their opinion that BMW are bad value other than 1. not having the cash or credit worthiness to buy one or 2. having no interest in long-term ownership regardless of their cost.</blockquote>

If you're planning to keep a bike long term, you're better off with a new Nighthawk 750 or Kawasaki Concours. They have better reputations for reliability than BMW (see below), and they've been in production for more than a decade so spares should not be a problem. If long term ownership is a priority, then depreciation really ISN'T, so there goes that argument.

Also, according to Das Motorrad, BMWs have rather more wear and tear and more need for repair over the same distance and the same kind of riding than Japanese bikes.
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:20 AM   #124
jiffyheart
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS reader feedback

You may be seeing mine on the road. My wife gave me one for my birthday. We'd been talking about it for a while, so no big surprise.

Plenty of power, ( don't tell the dealer but I took it to 100mph indicated on the demo ride and it was still pulling) quick and nimble in the twisties, smooth, comfortable. I could go on... I think the styling is great, everything works in my eye. Single sided swing arm is cool, belt drive is smooooth. It's different and that's part of what I like about it. I've had comments from several other riders (of BMWs, Guzzi, HDs) and they all liked it a lot. A Buell owner told me " I think this is my next bike." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. List price with ABS is about $1500 more than my Ducati Monster 750. BMWs are built to last; my'79 R65 has 182,000 miles on it. Suppose this will last as long...
jiffyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:36 AM   #125
jiffyheart
Founding Member

Default Re: Not as practical as you'd think

You get what you pay for. BMWs are built to last My '79 R65 has 182,000 on it. My F650CSA is silver - looks great. With ABS brakes list price was about $1500 more than my Ducati Monster 750.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:46 AM   #126
jiffyheart
Founding Member

Default Re: Not as practical as you

When I got my F650CSA , BMW was having a factory special deal - all bikes with ABS were $1000 off. Cost was $500 less with ABS than without.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:24 PM   #127
danstriumph
Registered Member

Have you ridden one of these? Take one for a test ride if you haven't done so...
danstriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:31 PM   #128
danstriumph
Registered Member

Exactly! I rode one of these bikes today and was impressed with the power and handling after getting off my Triumph 900 triple!

I even managed to get pulled over for speeding! ( He let me go with a warning...whew!)
danstriumph is offline   Reply With Quote