Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-29-2001, 06:01 AM   #101
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW F650CS reader feedback

I sold my car and other bike, then it became affordable...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2001, 06:10 AM   #102
12er
Founding Member

I put 12,000 miles on my 00 KLR 650 up until april, and its been in the shop ever since... Great intown bike, but not that great touring. The seat grows old after 60 miles, stock power is about 26HP, with a dyna jet kit, K&N air filter and Supertrapp IDS2 pipe it almost cracked 50hp. I then also added a M.A.P. engineering oversized front disk brake and steel braided lines to get it to stop. Once that was in Progressive fork springs were manditory or you were doing stoppies at every stop. The forkdive with the stock forks and a brake that actually works was down right frightning. Out the door price on the KLR was $6250 then adding in the 2k I spent making it perform safely on the road I was almost up to the BMW. In hind site I would of saved money buying the GS and it probably would be in the shop for the last 5 months...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 06:20 AM   #103
R1150GS
Founding Member

Amen Brother

R1150GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 06:58 AM   #104
dalexndr
Founding Member

I love BMW motorcycles and when I saw that they had a new version of the F650, I had hopes for a lightweight version of the R1100S or R1100RS. But it seems that they have come up with something else entirely. It looks to me like some sort of commuter / cruiser something. Very disapointing. Pretty ugly too. Who are they trying to sell this thing to?
dalexndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 08:11 AM   #105
CBR1000F
Founding Member

And you'd get the cage drivers and other bikers veering away from it's ugliness, lest it rub off... you'd get lotsa room on the freeway. You're right! It's a perfect commute bike. As long as you can handle the pointing and laughing.
Old 08-29-2001, 06:51 PM   #106
spkrplus
Founding Member

Default Proof that BMW are excellent value

Since about 1993 BMW have broken previous year sales records. Profits have increased commensurately. This material fact means they are priced well & considered good value by their target market. I challenge readers to post any reason for their opinion that BMW are bad value other than their inabilty to purchase one or having no interest in long-term ownership regardless of their cost. If there was incompetance or waste in the production, marketing or delivery of BMW, a competitor would force a remedy. The remedy would be a competitor's similar product at a lower price or a better product for the same price. Remember "Put your money where your mouth is"? Posters believing BMW are overpriced should invest in a bike to prove their point. Don't be offended, rant or shout (capitals), just beat my challenge. Stamp out bike bigotry.
spkrplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 06:30 AM   #107
seruzawa
The Toad

It is obvious that BMW is using a janitor who used to work for DKW in the 70's to style its bikes. That stupid 1200C is a prime example. I have no idea what the 1200C's engine sounds like because whenever one drives by the sound is drowned out by the peals of derisive laughter from the people who happen to be looking at it. There are people in some cities now who want to ban the 1200C because of all the accidents that occur when other drivers lose control of their vehicles because of the laughter.

Finally a "cruiser" that makes Ducati's old 650 Indiana look reasonable.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:34 AM   #108
seruzawa
The Toad

I think they are trying to sell it to the same people who think that Corona-with-a-twist is a good beer.

No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public. After all, look at how many of those hideous 1200Cs that BMW manges to pawn off on the rubes.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:16 AM   #109
dalexndr
Founding Member

Good observation. But I really don't get it. Their touring / sport touring / "adventure" touring offerings are all great stuff if you ask me. The attempt to get into the cruiser market seems to be more about $$$$ than function. Oh well, I'm getting old.
dalexndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 02:32 AM   #110
TorinoPaddy
Registered Member

Default Re: Different Design

The price here in Italy of a BMW 650 GS is US$6,560 compared to US$6,490 for the faired version of the Suzuki SV650. It is clear that BMW are asking premium prices for their products in the States.

I don't think they will compete head-to-head here though, as there is already a distinct and competitive market for roadgoing dual-sports
TorinoPaddy is offline   Reply With Quote