Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-23-2001, 03:39 AM   #1
lazy1
Founding Member

Default Re: Ride in Costa Rica

sounds like a great trip.......what's the exchange rate?
lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2001, 07:17 AM   #2
El_Flaco
Founding Member

Costa Rica is an awesome place! I am studying down here right now (I am from Seattle, WA) and am having a blast. The beaches are beautiful, bike friendly drivers and a very favorable exchange rate- 330 Colones per $1 US. Yet it's true, sportbikes are rare and expensive and enduros are the preferred mode of transportation. But it's definitely a beautiful, and as far as Central American countries go, fairly safe and secure. I miss my SV650 so badly... If I wasn't a poor university student, I'd do one of these motorcycle tours and/or ship my bike down.

Thanks for the excellent article, MO!
Old 08-23-2001, 08:10 AM   #3
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Oh, to have expendable dough to do such things. Sounds like a blast to me. What about the heat and humidity down there? I was in the tropics once and almost melted away. Any other places that do tours like this? Has anyone ever done an 'endless summer' motorcycle style? Now that'd be cool.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:22 AM   #4
Hawkster
Founding Member

I think tours like this are great. I wish I could afford to go on one. Dirt, street, wouldn't matter. I think it could catch on in the US, too. Honda Hawk GT riders from all over the US (other countries, too) e-mail members of our Hawk mailing list when they're going to be travelling so they can hook up and sample each others' favorite twisty roads. All you'd need to make it work is a network of people with spare sportbikes to lend and a VERY carefully worded liability waiver and... voila!.. instant tours of the best roads in the US.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:24 AM   #5
Hawkster
Founding Member

Yeah, that WOULD be cool! (If only I were independently wealthy.)
Old 08-23-2001, 10:44 AM   #6
grepper
Founding Member

Well, I went surfing in CR earlier this year(sweeet) and I drove from San Jose to the Pacific Coast. Very scary. There are more traffic deaths in that tiny country than in the US. You are definitely taking your life in your hands any time you venture on the highway. (very much more so than in the US) And on a bike . . .

DonÂ’t get me wrong, it is a great country, incredibly beautiful, awesome surf and the people were great. (lot of thieves, but since they were of the Grab Your Stuff Out Of Your Car kind and not the Shoot You In The Face kind, I didnÂ’t mind too much)

I saw one to many 18 wheelers passing on a blind curve to be comfortable driving there tho.

grepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 10:13 AM   #7
Gabe
Registered Member

Default More Deaths?

If that were true, CR would be totally depopulated in 20 years!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 06:15 PM   #8
voxel
Founding Member

Hi,

I'm a Canadian who spent a short week in San Jose(and surrounding area), Costa Rica easly March.

I have to say, Cuba is more popular destination for Canadians...

I was looking for a 1-3 day tour on a BMW F650 there(I had other things to explore), but found only week-long packages.

Anyhow while there I discovered this company that had one-day Harley tours:

http://www.costaricamotorcycles.com/

I rode a Harley 883 Sportster with my tour guide up and down an active volcano. Yes the the roads are questionable, but IMHO they are better than some US states!

Riding on flat land is boring now, except when I'm out on track days.

Nelson
voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 11:00 AM   #9
grepper
Founding Member

Default Re: More Deaths?

per capita. a ratio. not on a one-to-one basis.

I suggest that you go to Costa Rica, drink a lot, then get out on the road and drive real, real fast.

grepper is offline   Reply With Quote