Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-15-2001, 04:09 PM   #1
poopypants
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha ATV feedback

Being a quad rider for many years, I'm glad to see powerful quads returning. If you remember suzuki LT500 quadracers and honda 250R's you know what I'm talking about. Seems sport quads all but disapeared for quite some time. Yamaha using the motor from the awesome Raptor in a utility quad is a great idea!

Hey Suzuki, how about putting the 650 v-twin from the SV650 in a couple of quads!!!!!!!
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2001, 05:16 PM   #2
merde
Founding Member

Is it true that only farmers and fat people ride ATV's? You can bring a picnic basket and have a picnic too! Just kidding. ATV's are a great way to have fun after you break something at your last motocross race.
merde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 06:17 PM   #3
boxjoint
Founding Member

First of all, you do not need to seek permission to write a story of this nature. As we all know by now, when it comes to motorcycleing, technology is shared across the board weather it be atv's, dirt bikes, or street bikes. I am an atv rider as well as a street rider however, even if I did not ride atv's it is allways nice to know what is going on in the industry.

Now about the quads. The Grizzly 660 seems impressive and looks impressive (my local dealer has a camo one in stock)according to other mags, there is a serious competetor that even the big grizz can't tumble. That quad is the Kawasaki 650 V-Twin Prairie. The Prairie has the best motor, and a smaller physical size compared to the grizzly. The Grizzly is nice indeed but if you have seen it in person you will know why they call it the Grizzly...because it is as big as one. I can't imagine that riding one of these as not being a chore or tiresome. I personally have a Polaris Xplorer 250 and while half the size of these new power quads, it does everything that I ask it to for nearly half the price.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 06:47 PM   #4
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Going back to the realm of two wheels for a moment: I'm disappointed that Yamaha doesn't use that 660 five-valve Single in one of their own streetbikes. It would work, as a legion of happy MuZ owners will attest to, but is it just the fickle and polar nature of the US market? Or do Thumpers have that lame of a reputation? Or does Sound of Singles racing just not get enough play over here? It would be great to see an updated SRX-6. (Especially one with an optional half fairing, triple discs, semi-aggressive clip-ons, seventeen-inch wheels....)
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 07:22 PM   #5
salesman
Founding Member

Polaris has come out with a 700cc in line twin version of it's venerable Sportsman 500 with a slightly modified frame to accomodate the BIG

motor. I saw pixtures of it today when our rep came by the shop. He says he rode it alongside the 660 Grizzly and the 650 Prairie. He says the Grizzly IRS doesn't do what an IRS should but just adds ground clearance and that the 660 motor in the Yam acts like the 500 H.O. motor in the Sportsman does (i.e. too sporty, revs too quick) resulting in less controllability than you would want in a 4x4. He claims that the others jump the Polaris out the hole but the big 700 twin comes roaring back with a vengence. He seemed as objective as a Polaris factory rep could be by speaking the obvious about the 500 H.O. motor and giving the Kaw 650 motor rave reviews. I sell Kaw and Polaris so we ought to have a pretty good year.

When you're in NC buy one from me.

The Howard Cosell of Motorcycling
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 04:18 AM   #6
hawker
Founding Member

Yo mini - hey, if it goes fast, review it - you guys should get your mack on any chance you get, and hey, we love hearing about it. The good lord above knows, in His Wisdom that smites all nonbelievers, that nobody's calling _my_ a** to go ride the latest super-zoot atv, and I sure don't mind hearing about it.

I think the occasional bit of atv or waterbike crossover article just adds that extra dash of paprika to the couscous.

Just don't let it distract you from the supermotard comparo

SuperMotard Comparo

SUPERMOTARD COMPARRRROOOOOOOOO!

can't decide if it's not enough coffee or too much...

hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 04:48 AM   #7
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Yeah! Good stuff! I like hearing about all sorts of motor powered things... keep the scooters and quads and dirt bikes coming!

I ride my GSXR pretty hard but I've had the biggest air on a z50 (winter, frozen lake, lotsa snow, a long ramp and a poor little z50 and waaaaaay too much fun on an auto 125 quad to ignore other sorts of motorfun!

Keep it coming!
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:28 AM   #8
gizmop
Founding Member

I have no problems with the occasional ATV or PWC article. I think it's cool you guys get to ride this stuff, too.
gizmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:05 AM   #9
ttcaml
Founding Member

You guys seem impressed by the new Yamaha ATV's, with their push-button 4wd, independant suspension, powerful motor, ect. I guess Yamaha has finally noticed the great features Polaris ATV's have had for years.
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:49 AM   #10
ohhseven
Founding Member

Default Is there a cruiser version?? What about trucks???

Will it handle like a bike if you stick it on 2 wheels? Is that the idea? I guess so, and then you got not one, but 2 spares!!! Hey cool, that would make it a 2 wheel drive bike!! Then you can save the other 2 for when you wear down the first set? Or if you get a blow-out you got a spare already mounted and ready to go!

I think it would get a little bit uncomfortable to ride.. Hey is there a cruiser version? How about Corbin seats, can we put one on? Does HD make one? If so I guess everyone copied them then? (gotta get the HD comments in now don't we...)

Hey, MO, could you do an article on trucks next? If you need an angle, then use this: So many people out there have to haul their bikes around for some reason instead of riding them, and they need to know what the best type of truck to use is...

Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!

Mick.

ohhseven is offline   Reply With Quote