Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-19-2001, 05:33 AM   #21
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha ATV feedback

You sound as if you want quads eliminated all togeather. I personally have a Polaris quad as well as a street bike. I also grew up on dirt bikes (can you remeber the Suzuki DS125??). I baught the Polaris so not only can I go out and ride the local trails, but plow the snow, move gravel, get firewood, and well you get the point. I must question you about one statement in your reply however,"look at the eight foot wide swath of destruction ATV's make off road? Any off-road motorcycle rider worth his salt can take his machine farther than an ATV with far less damage to Mother Nature." Well, if you would ride ON the trails there would be little or no damage to mother nature no-matter what you are riding. It is those people who are plowing through the woods and staying off of the trails that are getting the most attention from anti-off road groups. Also, what do you do when the ground is covered with snow?? Here in the north east we get about a good 4 months of potental snow fall. I suppose that I should buy a snowmobile and a birt bike because quads are for stupid people. (By the way...College education, Entrepenuer)
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2001, 05:27 PM   #22
john
Founding Member

ah, ok, i see. I couldn't imagine honda sells more quads than the hundreds of thousands of scooters in the european and asian markets in addition to the full size motorcycles.
Old 08-20-2001, 03:56 AM   #23
pplassm
Founding Member

The figure I saw were for the US market, and did not include automobiles. Street/dirt bikes vs. ATVs.

I forgot the actual numbers.

Pete P.

Old 08-20-2001, 04:25 AM   #24
pplassm
Founding Member

Maybe not for stupid people, but for those who have no riding skills. To quote Rick Seiman: "The best thing about ATV's is any idiot can ride one. The worst thing about ATV's is any idiot can ride one."

If you have been riding the NE trails for as long as I have, then you know that the character of the trail system has changed dramatically since the widespread use of ATVs started. Small single-track pathways have been widened into 8 foot wide freeways. The minor environmental impact that used to be very unobtrusive has become a blight on the woodland scenery.

I sincerely believe that ATVs are causing the death of our sport. These stupid vehicles have allowed a legion of backwards ball-cap wearing cretins to invade the woods and deatroy the trail system. Worse yet, the authorities (forest service, law enforcement, etc.) bunch single track vehicles together with these "mini-jeeps" when enforcement or land-use actions are contemplated. Example: the forest service rules for multiple use trails now call for trail widths of 80" to accomodate ATV use. This effectively eliminates just about any challenge that may have existed for motorcycle users, elevates speeds, and causes more severe trail accidents. In addition, the elevated speeds cause more rapid erosion of the trail surface, requiring more maintenance, and providing fodder for those looking to close access. The RedBird Trace in Kentucky, Royal Blue Recreation Area, TN, and Brown Mountian, NC are all recent examples of this. Riding at RedBird and Royal Blue have been severely resticted or curtailed. The RedBird trace used to have a wonderful 80+ mile single track enduro loop that existed for years. As soon as the Forest Service widened it for ATV use, over use soon caused it's closure.

I've been dirt riding for over 30 years, all over the country and in Europe. I believe the end is near for riding as I used to know and love it. Tough single track is getting harder to find, and this is directly attributeable to ATV use.

On top of it all, it seems that the majority of ATV riders have no trail skills or manners. I used to think that this was just youthful exhuberance, but now I believe that the ATV's attract an element that we just don't need in the woods. You guys have a real image problem, and you better fix it, or it's all going tom go away. Been to Europe lately? Very few opportunities for riding there. It could be that way here.

Pete P.

Old 08-20-2001, 06:55 AM   #25
boxjoint
Founding Member

You do make some very valid points and yes, it does take a lot more skill to ride a dirt bike than an atv. I will also confess that purely for entertainment purposes I would certainly preferr a good thumper dirt bike over an atv. I view this contreversy as being similar to when the snow board came out. When they were introduced, skiiers hated snow boarders. Major complaints were that they packed the snow on the slopes and that the sport attracted un-ruly skate boarders. There is one major difference here, the public at large never "hated" skiiers or snow boarders as they do off road vehicles, atv's and dirt bikes alike. I also contest the issue of atv's "ruining" the sport. What we need is more people involved in off road recreation to help lobby for more land use. There is a lot of people who ride atv's that would not ride dirt bikes. There is also a small population of people who might have certain medical conditions that would prevent them from riding dirt bikes. I know that this would be a very small portion of the riding public but exist's never the less.

I am 30 years old and I will be the first to admitt that I don't spend a lot of time trail riding. I also would admitt that if atv's were banned all-togeather from trail use I would not shed a tear. (I MUCH preferr to be on my ZRX1200R than my polaris). I would keep my atv because it is basically a glorified 4x4 lawn tractor and is very handy here on my wooded lot AND fun on my local trails. I would certainly not be against keeping atv trails seperate from dirt bike trails with fines issued to those who violate that rule. We must keep in mind that atvs are here to stay, along with a large loyal following. If we eliminated atvs and their riders, THEN you can guarantee that your off road days are limited because most of these atv riders would not just shrug their shoulders and go get a dirt bike. In fact you can bet that anti-off road issues would heat up stronger because the general public would be aware that small population of people who are left riding are easy prey.

Happy riding....no matter what your mode of off road is.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:13 AM   #26
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

When are we going to see a Harley ATV with a Sportster motor? Apehangers, of course, would be optional.

You think I'm kidding, but I bet they would sell millions of them.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 10:31 PM   #27
Grizfan
Founding Member

Awesome.....thats the only word I can think of to describe the new 2002 Yamaha Grizzly.

I purchased one of the first ones available and after having the chance to wring it out in the mountains at elevations at or above 8,000 ft...I can truly say it is amazing.

After having owned Polaris snowmobiles and atv's in the past all I can say is I am glad I don't now.....It is much more fun to be riding and enjoying my equipment rather than working on it....

Some companies would be better off budgeting less on graphics and more on reserch and developement.

Keep up the good work Yamaha....you are at the top of the heap as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. This thing actually pulled a 4x4 Ford 3/4 ton pickup out of a mud hole....incredible.
Grizfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 05:40 PM   #28
khaos
Founding Member

<blockquote>"The Grizzly is nice indeed but if you have seen it in person you will know why they call it the Grizzly...because it is as big as one. I can't imagine that riding one of these as not being a chore or tiresome. I personally have a Polaris Xplorer 250 and while half the size of these new power quads, it does everything that I ask it to for nearly half the price."</blockquote>

Well, I happen to own a Grizzly 660, and I assure you that it is not only easy to drive, but downright agile. It is much easier to drive and steer than any ATV's that I've driven in the past; Polaris 350's and 400's, Honda 400's and 450's. I was out on it for five hours today and my only complaint is that the day is too short. How's that for tiresome? I was so impressed when I first drove the Grizzly... My jaw dropped. It absolutely rips through whatever I can throw at it. Big logs, mud, snow, ice, sand, railroad tracks... We have it all here in New Hampshire - And let's not forget altitude. As an owner, I can only assume that Grizz critics have either never really ridden one, or they are flatout jealous of the IRS, 2WD/4WD/Locking Diff, powerful engine, ground clearance, full skid coverage, superior handling, etc. etc. etc. From break-in to 8 hour excursions, the Grizzly is absolutely the machine it is chocked up to be. It's the only ATV I've ever ridden and been unable to come up with any significant modifications that are imminent. I've added a Warn 2500, brushguards and headlight guards... The winch doesn't get used much because I don't get stuck, and the other two additions are pretty standard for aggressive riders. Whenever I manage to break the composite skidplates I'll replace them with something stronger, and if I ever decide to spend all my time in mudpits, I'll get some Blackwaters... But what's new? Other than that, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is awesome. Right from the get-go it is obvious that this is one of the most thought-out ATV's ever made. It is feature filled, to say the least.

Myths About the Grizz:
The IRS doesn't work.
The engine is poor. (The Kawi may be better, but not significantly.)
The engine is too revvy. (I won't deny that it is revvy; it is, but it has a helluvalotta low-end power anyway. More than enough to make it through the thick, and sporty enough to fly through open trails.)

So what makes this better than other ATV's?
Well, for one it is much lighter than the Polaris. Want to talk about oversized machines, the Sportsman 700 is it. The IRS simply beats out the Prarie's solid axle unless you're going to race. The newly announced Honda Rinco is too stripped down. It lacks any differential lock, skidplates... Small things that all add up in the long run. They claim it's to meet weight specs, but the Grizzly isn't that much heavier than the Rinco. As far as engines go, the Grizzly is damn fine. It may not be the best or the biggest, not that I can say with any certainty one way or the other, but it is great.

So, what's the bottomline? The Grizz is powerful, agile, and it feels solid. It truly is a go-anywhere machine. I've done 50 MPH on roads and torn through uncleared forrest with no problems on the Grizzly. One thing I really hate about a lot of ATV's is all the vibration. The Grizzly has very little vibration and feels extremely solid, dependable, reliable, predictable... These are things that can't be said about a lot of four wheelers that I've ridden.

If you don't believe me, go ride one.

Did I mention that they look slicker than... Well, anything? The new Honda Rinco looks nice, but the Polaris and Kawi's are downright ugly. I've never liked Polaris' ATV offerings as far as looks go, though. Especially since they adopted that solid plastic bumper. What the hell are they thinking? That is the single ugliest feature of any ATV that I can think of offhand.

I've tried to be pretty objective here, but it is hard when the Grizzly owns. I've ridden a lot of four wheelers for the past 8 or 9 years, and I genuinely think that the Grizz is the best out of all of them. I'd absolutely recommend this machine to any medium-large adult who can afford it.
khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 05:42 PM   #29
khaos
Founding Member

Sorry, it didn't intelligently parse line breaks (ie. It turned my post into one giant paragraph) so it is a bit difficult to make sense of. And I can't edit it. What a pisser.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:45 PM   #30
khaos
Founding Member

<blockquote>"After having owned Polaris snowmobiles and atv's in the past all I can say is I am glad I don't now.....It is much more fun to be riding and enjoying my equipment rather than working on it...."</blockquote>
I agree, except I wouldn't trade my Polaris sleds for anything. I don't own any old ones, but my '98+ sleds are great. I love 'em.

I really dislike Polaris ATV's.