Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-13-2001, 09:46 PM   #61
Arrow
Registered Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

Since when did ZX9Rs have upside down forks? I think the front end is

from a ZX7R which has 43mm upside downies with 6 piston calipers. And why did they select current Vulcan owners to evaluate it? I thought power cruisers were targeting a different breed of cruiser rider who is interested in power and handling. And who in their right mind would say that a 700 lb motorcycle with 100 rear wheel horses is too powerful? Getoutta here! However if Kawasaki prices it right (cheaper than other power cruisers) they might have a chance because it looks nice enough and has above avarage handling for a cruiser (from what I understand from your test).
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2001, 01:40 AM   #62
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: So they copied HD´s fender yeah sure

Agree we're making a mountain of a molehill here but to say the Mean Streak has anything remotely to do with distinctive styling is like saying the Drifter and W650 are paragons of original styling as well!

In spite of that, like I said, it's a good job overall. It would be on my short list if I were in the market for a big honking metric cruiser, never mind that I'm not. They did a good job just like a Lexus does a good job of blatently copying European luxury sedans, but please don't tell me the styling is more original and aesthetically correcty than Jaguar or BMW or Mercedes whom they mimmick.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 02:54 AM   #63
mdpeterson
Founding Member

Default Re: Try these...

Ducati Monster, Triumph Speed Triple, T-Bird Sprt,

Suzuki Bandit, Yami Fz1, Kawi ZRX1200, Victory SprtCuiser

Mark
mdpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:05 AM   #64
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: I call it competing not copying...

And now the new Triumph Co. has RE-introduced the Bonnie and has made no bones about the fact they've priced it right at the spot to woo a few Sportster fans back onto a limey. So things have come full circle! But the two bikes are not at all similar now just because they're aimed at the same customers, and they were also very different "way back then" too when they were direct competitors. Just because you introduce a *competing* bike doesn't mean it has to be a copy. Thanks for pointing out one of the best examples of competing but NOT copying, which is as it should be.

As for saying a Firebolt is a knock-off of a SV-650 that's about as strange as saying a Sportster is a knock-off of any British bike. I can't see they have much at all in common other than being naked sportbikes with V-twin motors. The Firebolt isn't nearly as ugly as the SV650. Speaking of which, it's an excellent example of blatent rip-off itself. It's very obviously a value-priced copy of a Ducati Monster that's aesthetically disastrous but I still like the SV because functionally they did a great job of delivering more bang for the buck than a Duc.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:20 AM   #65
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: Try these...

Nice guess, you got two of them right! T-Bird & FZ1. You have good taste. However, Mr. Ummm Sir might disagree......Since I know nothing about motorcycles!
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 04:38 AM   #66
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: the most satisfying positions...

You make some valid points but I think the BMWs and ST1100 you referred to (along with several others of the genre e.g. the Kaw Concours) are sport *touring* bikes which I view as an entirely different category. Those rigs borrow engine and suspension component from sportbikes so they can behave better than a bread truck in the twisties, but they are a far far cry from true "sportbikes" IMO. No I've never ridden a VFR. The last Honda "sportbike" I owned was a GB500, and I sure wouldn't want to go cross-country on that thing!

I've owned quite a mix of motorcycles and in spite of good points made, you won't change my opinion that a *correctly equipped* cruiser is the next-most-comfortable bike, this side of dedicated full-dressers like the 'wing, for long-haul. But then comfort is in the "butt of the beholder" so I also celebrate the moto-diversity of which you speak. I sure won't argue about the fact huge numbers of cruisers are bought by boulevard posers. And that's good. The more motorcyclists of any kind there are, the more clout we have, so posers who ride safely are okay folks as far as I'm concerned. However the fact those guys generally go short distances doesn't change what I've experienced in over 20 years of long-distance riding.
Old 08-14-2001, 05:06 AM   #67
98Viffer
Founding Member

Default Re: Feeding the inner child

Simply because sportbikes are probably bought in the same *numbers* as cruisers, does not mean anything. What you have to consider is that most people who buy cruisers are buying an image. Most people who buy sportbikes are interested in the performance aspect. While they too want to look good, it is not the primary reason for ownership. Anyway I would never go on record as saying that sportbikes are as good as a Wing or full dresser for long distance. My original point is that a sporty position in general is better than the basic cruiser layout, meaning your Harley 883, Honda Shadow, etc.

>If cruisers weren't comfortable for many people, I wouldn't see so many >out on the open road.

This doesn't hold water. The fact that there are many cruisers out there has very little with comfort. How the hell do you think that Harley could market and sell a hardtail motorcycle, if cruiser buyers were interested in comfort?

98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 06:57 AM   #68
tbuse
Founding Member

Yes. That's why I have a Triumph Trophy 900 and a Triumph Speed Triple.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 07:07 AM   #69
tbuse
Founding Member

I think you're not relying on any facts, just your own view of motorcycles, colored by your preferences. "Sportbike riders not buying an image?" You've obviously never read the posts in here. There are cruiser riders who are blatant posuers, but I never saw or heard such image conscious garbage until I read some of the posts from "sport bike" riders in here. These guys are more into image than anyone. And woe to anyone who doesn't agree that his particular choice is not the best in the word.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 07:20 AM   #70
98Viffer
Founding Member

Not true, tbuse. I never said that sportbike riders aren't concerned with image. I said its not the PRIMARY reason they buy. All the baby boomers got back into motorcycles, bought cruisers, and now they dress up on weekends and play outlaw bikers. It's silly, and angering to those of us who truly love to ride, work on our bikes, educate ourselves, and portray a good image of motorcycling. Yes, people pose on sportbikes. But you don't see people getting back into motorcycling in droves buying sportbikes. Cruisers are not the best selling type of bike in the US because all of a sudden people wanted to go cross country. It's because all these accountants want to be a bad boy, and buy an image.

I agree that as of late, motorcyclists have segmented themselves further and further. It's becoming difficult to have solidarity against lawmakers, etc, when we can't seem to get along. I'd rather have half as many dedicated motorcyclists working together, than all the recent entries who are more concerned with looking badassed on their next poker run of 40 miles.
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote