Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-13-2001, 12:04 PM   #51
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Feeding the inner child

Your first paragraph equally defines sport bikes, only a different position yet same touring limitations. When will most people learn, you need more that 1 motorycle.

Show me a stock cruiser with ape hangars. I mean real apes. I used to have 16 inch apes on my Troublehead. They were actually comfortable. Would I put them on my VFR, NO! For some bikes they work great.

You must have gone to the Gabe School of only what I like is right. Come on Vffer, celebrate motorcycle diversity.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2001, 12:33 PM   #52
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: the most satisfying positions...

How much touring have you actually done? Much of what you say is partially correct, but "sporty" riding position is NOT the most comfortable for long-haul riding?

Granted a naked cruiser can turn you into a miserable "human parachute" at highway speed, but one with a proper windscreen and highway pegs for changing foot position (NOT forward controls) is the next most comfortable bike to a full-dress tourer believe it or not. Sit on a Gold Wing or a Voyager. You'll find the riding position is much closer to "moderate" cruiser than to any sportbike. For one thing, you sit upright. The main difference in the big rigs is a full fairing and a well-designed seat. A good windscreen and the well-designed seat can be added from the aftermarket to any cruiser, making them almost as comfortable as touring rigs often at a MUCH more attractive price. I speak from experience having done a great deal of touring from coast-to-coast over 20 years and having never owned a "touring" bike but several cruisers and standards. I've also owned sportbikes but have never gone very far on them because they just aren't comfortable enough.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 01:07 PM   #53
98Viffer
Founding Member

Default Re: the most satisfying positions...

>How much touring have you actually done?

I average around 20k/year on my sportbikes, divided among commuting, canyon carving, and lots of traveling, camping, etc.

>but "sporty" riding position is NOT the most comfortable for long-haul >riding?

Never said that a sportbike was the MOST comfortable, only that it was MUCH better than most of the cruiser bikes. Sure, there are barges out there, and I'd rather ride them than a car, but for my money, they're pretty close to a car! Why do you think the finest touring bikes in the world are set up in a slightly angled forward position? Look at the finest from BMW, or the Honda ST1100. They are designed to eat up miles and miles, but are sporty in their riding position. When was the last time you saw any cruisers in the Iron Butt Rally?

One comment mentioned why you see more cruisers on the roads than sportbikes. A few points: First off, most of the sportbike guys like the mountain roads, and choose to take secondary roads a good bit of the time, as opposed to "slabbing it". Ironically, I see LOTS of cruisers being towed to their next posefest, while you rarely see a sportbike being trailered.

>I've also owned sportbikes but have never gone very far on them because they just aren't comfortable enough."

Well, there are sportbikes, and there are SPORTbikes. Ever ridden a Honda VFR? I've had 2 of them, and had no trouble with 600-700 mile days. If you're not into sportbikes, I can understand that they all probably look very similar to you, but there are worlds of difference in the comfort department. (Which might be true of cruisers as well) I owned a couple of Honda Magnas, and let me tell you, it was punishing. My ass still hasn't forgiven me.

My entire position was simply to clarify, and let people understand that in general, cruisers are NOT the most comfortable option, as all the marketing we are bombarded with alludes to.

I DO celebrate moto diversity... I just hate the way that the cruiser "lifestyle" is celebrated more than the abilities of the bike. Let people understand that there are pros/cons to any type of bike. My opinion stands: Cruisers are better for posing, not for higher speed traveling. It's not opinion... it's mechanical design.

98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 01:09 PM   #54
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default So they copied HD´s fender yeah sure

Are we getting a bit obsessive on the theme "everyone copies Harley", LimeSqueezer. Like the other challenged who implied Royal Star being another of the same fold.

Since when HD has made V-4 watercools with a shaft drive I ask. Maybe itÂ’s the "theme", like, er, cruiser type of a bike. Well, now HD makes one with a radiator which probably makes mine one step more of a copy then. Oh dear.

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 01:55 PM   #55
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default What do you call a SPORTSTER...

If it wasn't a ripoff of British sport twins? Oh, sure, there are individual details different (V-twin not parallel twin, no kneepads), but the more abstract overall theme is a BLATANT ripoff of Bonnevilles and such.

And the new Buell Firebolt looks a hell of a lot like an SV650S if I fog my glasses as much as yours seem to be.

"Every poet is a thief" U2
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 02:23 PM   #56
R1150GSugly
Founding Member

Default Drag Cruisers

These bikes should be called drag cruisers. I see alot of them on Hollywood Blvd. late at night.
R1150GSugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 04:10 PM   #57
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Feeding the inner child

Interesting theory, but go field testing. A week ago I went on a trip through Wyoming (in a truck, myself *blah*). I saw dozens of tourers (2/3 Goldwings, 1/3 BMWs), dozens of cruisers (both HD and metric), and only TWO sport-type bikes (a Suzuki Katana and a Triumph Sprint ST).

On the other hand, nobody had apehangers out on the open road. You've got a point there.

I personally think that a standard (ZR7 or Nighthawk) has got the best seating position, but I don't need much legroom. If cruisers weren't comfortable for many people, I wouldn't see so many out on the open road.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:10 PM   #58
poopypants
Founding Member

Default Re: Horrible photos once again

Hey!, I'll have none of that redneck NASCAR crap here please!!!!!!
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:25 PM   #59
James
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

I kinda agree, in terms of comparing the Kawker to the VTX. I mean, the VTX DOES weigh a LOT more. It is also a LOT quicker and faster. If the Kwacker offered the same level of performance it would be a winner. I just read a review of it in Cycle World and they said it has very little ground clearance, which makes me wonder why they upgrade the suspension components. Oh well...it looks good, but I think it will be outclassed, in terms of real-world performance by all the new "power cruisers".
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:47 PM   #60
sherm
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

I think the cruiser community, aka "The Vibration Nation",needs some new terminology to cope with the new generation of cruisers. The way I see it there are two distinct categories. The first category is the "long stroke" which includes all the cruisers except the V-Rod. The second category is the "short stroke" and, so far the V-Rod is the only bike in this category. (The V-Max is not a cruiser. It is a stylish high performance standard.)

I propose the following shorthand names for the two categories:

long stroke - "Porkbellies"

short stroke - "Hummingbirds"

The Mean Streak is a Porkbelly and should be compared to other Porkbellies, like the VTX, Fatboy, etc.

A soon as Suzuki shoehorns the Hayabusa engine into a beefed up Intruder chasis, and Honda sticks a Blackbird engine into a Shadow we can have a real Hummingbird shootout.

sherm is offline   Reply With Quote