Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-13-2001, 08:53 AM   #41
worn_patella
Founding Member

Default Re: Feeding the inner child

It's all about Image not power ... or we would all be riding stroked out gsxrs, cbrs, or ZX what-evers. Handling and comfort run the tie for second. Harley-Davison knows that ... and I think the V-Rod is its niche bike like Yamaha's V-Max. Flame away ... especially if it is enviromentally oriented.
worn_patella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2001, 08:59 AM   #42
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: I suppose I should say something positive...

Actually, I think that the Deuce's flush brake light and squared-off lines are FUGLY compared to the more flowing lines of the Mean Streak.

If the brake light assembly is vastly different, the curve of the fender is different, and the struts are different, how can you say the rear fender is a rip-off of another bike?!

As for "Harley stylists' incomparable sense of aesthetic continuity"...you just keep telling yourself that load of bollocks.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:13 AM   #43
worn_patella
Founding Member

Default Re: HP bull

How big ya think that fuel tank will have to be?

If it's gotta be BIG ... make it LONG first ... and don't make it look like a chubby.
worn_patella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:29 AM   #44
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default H-D has more power than Kawasaki Mean Average?

Wrong.

Depends on of course which Harley are you talking about, but at least the Fat Boy with 88B engine as tested last year had less power at 61.6 HP at the rear wheel (as compared to Mean Average´s 64.3 HP).

Two years ago the evolution 80 had 52 HP at the rubber which seemed to be enough for the burly bad boy image.

Surely you did not compare Meanie to the V-Rod? V-Rod´s engine charasteristics are different, low torque at the idle and more power towards the high revs. That´s not like cruising, spining the engine at 8000 to get the grunt, is it now?

Why not to compare V-Rod to V-Max, a similarly behaving engine. You would notice that the Max betters the Rod on power, torque and is also lighter. Despite being so ancient that its being phased out.

cruz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:43 AM   #45
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: I suppose I should say something positive...

Yeah, granted, the two do have some differences in their rear fenders. However IMO your comment above is like posing the question "How can you call the ____ (any metric cruiser with few exceptions) a Harley rip-off when it doesn't have one single part that's exactly alike?" You seem a guy who looks at details and says "it's totally different." OTOH I look at the more abstract overall theme of a fender, or an entire bike as the case may be, and say "if it's not a rip-off it's sure not an original idea either."

And when the Harley stylists start cranking out blatent rip-offs of old Indians and Triumphs instead of distinctively styled bikes that others inevitably imitate, THEN I'll start telling myself they're no longer incomparable, they'll be *very* comparable to Kawasaki's if that day ever arrives.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:49 AM   #46
98Viffer
Founding Member

Default Re: I think these will end being heavily discounted.

"... and the Harley has more power"

I can't believe my eyes... I never thought in a zillion years that phrase would ever be muttered!!!
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 09:58 AM   #47
98Viffer
Founding Member

When will you cruiser guys learn?? Cruisers are NOT, I repeat, NOT comfortable! Sure, they're nice for putting around town, posing from bar to bar. But take it up to highway speed, and the "legs-forward, weight on your ass, hold yourself against the windblast" position gets old very quickly. Every imperfection in the road rides right up your spine. And lets not even talk about those ridiculous ape-hanger bars. Go ahead... I dare you to give me a single good reason for those bars that has anything to do with handling a motorcycle correctly. Uh huh...

Now with a sporty bike, your weight is evenly displaced among your arms, butt, legs and back. You can therefore move around, giving different muscle groups rest. You are angled *into* the wind, so you don't have to hold on from being blown off the dang thing. You can actually stand up on the pegs as you roll over bumps, holes, or whatever. Try doing that with cruiser forward controls. And last but certainly not least, you are in a much better position for actually controlling the motorcycle, which is what you should be doing anyway, not trying to look cool!

Now, there are always exceptions... some sportbikes ARE intended more for track use, and do not make good street bikes. And some cruisers are actually pretty well laid out as far as riding position. But in general, we need to fight this inaccurate perception that cruisers are "comfy". I bought two of them before I figured out that it wasn't ME.
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 10:27 AM   #48
tbuse
Founding Member

May not be comfy for you, but you see far more "cruisers" ridden long distances than you do "sport bikes".
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 10:57 AM   #49
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default Difference between HP and HP

>Am I on the wrong planet? Harley can get 115 hp out of 1100 cc's

Yes, you are on the wrong planet Beethoven. Honda CBR600F4 can give 97 HP out of 600cc´s. They could put that in a mean looking pseudo cruiser, call it Terminator and all aspiring boy riders would start dripping. Slap a HD badge on it and grown up men would join lines to pay well over the already-rip-off list price.

The question is not how many HP a cruiser makes, but how many HP a cruiser makes in very low RPM range. High HP going down low translates to s***loads of torque. Bikes are like blondes: if they don’t go down well they ain´t cruising (sorry about the non-PC joke, it proved irresistible).

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 11:09 AM   #50
aminalmutha
Founding Member

My thoughts exactly. It's always dumbfounded me why cruisers are set up like they are. I don't have any problem riding a few hundred miles on a sporty bike or a standard with no wind protection. Now I don't think I could do it on a cruiser. Especially not on the serpintine roads I love so much. And what's with the rediculously low seats? At least this new Kawi has good brakes. Wheew.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote