Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-12-2001, 04:10 PM   #31
Indians
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

For 11 large, I'd take the whole ZX-9R, not just the forks! Then they'd throw in another 60 horses, a fairly comfortable ride and MUCH better looks! I doubt if this bike creates much of a wake in the sales chart!
Indians is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2001, 05:55 PM   #32
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: saki Mean Streak

A TL-1000 powered cruiser? Not a bad idea. Honda and Ducati could do the same with their sport bike 90 degree v-twins as well. Such bikes would be interesting though I doubt they would appeal to the HD old guard (not that it would matter though, since the old guard will be too old to ride in the not too distant future). Give me a Buell with a lightened V-rod engine...
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 02:29 AM   #33
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: saki Mean Streak

There ya go! The Buell w/the VROD motor! I've liked the Buell's for a while, just can't get past the motor though. I know everyone that has one says "man!, it's really fun to ride!" But something inside me is just averse to an old air-cooled dinosaur (sorry Harley guys, but it is... just my opinion, o.k.)

If Buell somehow can pry loose the V-Rod motor, they would have a new customer in me (provided they don't charge 18-bazillion dollars for it like Harley).

I don't really know if any of the Japanese companies would really stick their 90-deg v-twins in, but I think it'd be great. I just don't know how they'd fit them in... that's why I figured if they were going to do it, they'd need some time to come up with a chassis that they could fit one in to in such a way that it would still look 'cruiser-like' and not 'Ducati Monster-like' (not bad.. I dig the Monsters.. but they're not cruisers).

Then again, they could redesign them to be slighly narrower of angle, like the Aprilia 60-deg V-twin (built by Rotax I think??)

I think that you're right as well that the old guard Harley riders may never jump on board, but I don't think that Harley cares too much about winning them over.. this is all for a 'younger' segment anyway from what I've read/heard. Harley will still make+sell the "old-line" for the "old-guard".

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 02:37 AM   #34
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: I think these will end being heavily discounted.

Yep. They're already being discounted around my part of the world. It could be just some kind of "initial launch special-offer", I don't know. But I was checking one out at my dealer the other day... right next to a VTX. My guy said he could get me one for 10K... they list for like 10.9K I think.

Personally... I think the looks are a toss-up between it and the VTX. I like the wheels on the 'streak much better.. like the tank shape of the VTX better.. DON'T like the seam on the VTX tank though... back and forth, both are nice looking in their respects.

Weight wise, no comparison... the 'streak is ridiculously lighter feeling just hefting it from leg to leg.. startlingly so... I couldn't believe it. I had to look down and make sure the bike had a motor in it it was -that- much lighter. Whatever Kawi did to center the weight so low worked.

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:21 AM   #35
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Horrible photos once again

Is it just me or does it seem like everytime MO does a story on a new bike with photos the photos are marginal at best. Why not just show a clean, full length shot of the bikes in an upright position so we can really see the lines of the bike. Don't have the forks turned, don't show us part of the bike and please take it off the kick stand and have it upright!

Also, if you are going to show a shot from above show more than the instrument cluster and bars. Give us the tank and seat, maybe just the whole bike from above.

And that burn-put shot, it's worse than Jeff Gordon's attempt after the Brickyard 400. If this thing is so mean I want to see a burn out that will impress John Force and kill the mosquito populations in neighboring states.

Otherwise keep up the good work!
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:52 AM   #36
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Are you saying something like maybe a seat with a built-in Depends holder would be come closer to impressing current Vulcan owners?
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 06:01 AM   #37
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

You're right of course, but the not-so-Savage has managed to stick around while a lot of other metric cruisers have come and gone. Probably because it offers something different and it's priced right. The MeanStreak does offer the former (real brakes on a cruiser, now that *is* a novel idea!) but I agree with another post that Kawasaki would blow competing "muscle cruisers" away (in sales figures not ET's) if it were only priced right --like under 10 large. Maybe at street price it actually will be.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:21 AM   #38
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: I suppose I should say something positive...

You must be kidding. It's obvious to me they tried not to be too obvious in copying a Harley Duece's rear fender by making the lower edge curved rather than straight. And in the process lost some of the Harley stylists' incomparable sense of aesthetic continuity (those much-too-conical fat chrome struts don't taper gracefully at all like the ones on a Duece). But that's okay, it still looks pretty darn good overall compared to most metric cruisers.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:42 AM   #39
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Stop the madness.

Ummm, if your money is meaningless, could you send it to me? I'll even chip in for the postage.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 07:49 AM   #40
tbuse
Founding Member

How about:

The Slightly Grumpy?

The Mildly Irratated?

The Really, Really Annoyed?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote