Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-11-2001, 03:42 PM   #21
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default HP bull

I thought the same thing when I read that..... nobody ever asked for less power. Some riders in Kawasaki's "focus group" may have said that power was less important than other features, but nobody said "make it gutless".

Being a horsepower leader has never really been a selling point in the cruiser world. The exception being a few very expensive exotics like the Titan.

But, if the Japanese Big 4 start thinking that big power will sell more cruisers.... watch out! And don't think that it will take them more than 1 year to come out with a 120+ hp cruiser. I just hope they can keep the weight under 600 lbs!
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2001, 04:51 PM   #22
poopypants
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

Well, don't be pissed when that Hyundai driver passes you on main street and gives you the finger!
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 05:44 PM   #23
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: Ummm, Sir

Ummm, Sir

If you put those components in a (lightweight) cruiser frame with crusier style seat, bars, wheels & body work you have a "Cruiser"! I own 7 bikes and some are crusiers and some are sport bikes. I do know the difference between the two. So I guess we're clear on the concept of "Crusier" here.
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 09:36 PM   #24
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Stop the madness.

I meant that as a joke. I was taking the word components as literally as I could to make a point, which is "How far are we going to go?". At what point is the ideal balance going to be achieved? Depends on the person, really.

I just don't see the "Hybrid" or "Power Cruiser" segment becoming a market force for longer than 10 years. There will have to be a real breakthrough bike to keep the trend going, and I just don't see that happening. Yamaha did it with the V-Max, they created and cornered a market, then dropped the ball. Will Harley pull it off with the V-Rod? I don't think so. To me, it's a Harley, not a hybrid. I know some will disagree, and to be honest I don't know yet. I'll have to see some people riding it before I can hazard a guess as to its impact.

And by the way: Just because you own something doesn't mean you know the differences between good and bad. I can name a lot of people who own 10 computers and don't know that they bought crap, don't know how to work on them, or even how to use them properly. Ownership never implies knowledge. I think I speak for everyone here when I say I'm tired of people with something to prove flaunting their money on message boards - it just makes you look juvenile, and half the people here don't believe you're telling the truth. Nothing personal, not a flame - just a general observation.

Foxy

P.S. I will be ignoring any antagonistic respones to this. I am sorry if I made anyone mad with my statment, I'm just tired of hearing people try to validate themselves and impress others with something so meaningless as money.

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 05:46 AM   #25
pplassm
Founding Member

You mean the one I saw the other day with the HOG (Harley Owners Group) license plate?

Really. I saw it.

Pete P.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:52 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

Default I think these will end being heavily discounted.

And. with substantial savings, they'll sell OK. The Yamaha looks better, and the Harley has more power.

Pete P.

Old 08-12-2001, 07:25 AM   #27
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Right now, in the power cruiser micro-segment, Kawi is the value leader. I went by my local japanese mega-dealer the other day, and they had a VTX sitting right next to a couple of Mean Streaks. The MSs were marked at list price of $10,999, while the VTX was marked at list (forget what it was) plus $1,969 of "market adjustment". And I have to agree that the Mean Streak (gotta change that name!) was better looking than the VTX!

I also think that if Kawi was surveying current Vulcan owners about how much power the MS should have, they were asking the wrong folks. Current Vulcan owners are not the target market for a "power cruiser".
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 08:21 AM   #28
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: HP bull

You ain't just whistlin' dixie! =)

The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 08:59 AM   #29
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: Stop the madness.

I tend to agree with your points. However, personally speaking, I would love nothing more than to own a bike that is comfortable (cruiser) and fast (sport bike). I belive there are many others who share my opinion. Otherwise, the "sport cruiser" segment wouldn't be seeing the growth it currently is. Simply put, my wrists just aren't quite set up for a long ride on a rice rocket. I am addicted to the power and thrill I receive riding one, but I like the looks and feel of a lounge chair (cruiser) on wheels. I'm sure at some point the demographics will change and yes we "sport cruiser" riders will want something a little dumbed down.

And by the way: I have owned and ridden motorcycles for over 30 years (not trying to impress, only stating fact). During my time I have educated myself by reading just about every bike publication known to man. I have even built a couple of bikes with a little assistance from a dealer friend of mine (not trying to impress, only stating fact). I believe that makes me qualified to offer my opinion on just about anything that comes to mind when speaking of motorcycles. I sir, do know the difference between good and bad when it comes to bikes. I think I speak for eveyone here when I say I'm tired of people who assume they know someone through just a posting they've made in a chat room. Because someone owns more than one of anything does not qualify that person as wealthy. I never did say exactly what I own. They could all be worth as little as $100.00 a piece. People who assume such garbage are either jealous or juvenile themselves.

I also, do not wish to be antagonistic, but will not allow some opinionated know-it-all to question my intellegence without some form of rebuttal. If you knew me you'd know I have never tried to impress anyone for any reason. Have a nice day and ride safe.

Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2001, 09:11 AM   #30
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default I suppose I should say something positive...

That's the nicest rear fender I've seen on a cruiser since the introduction of the R1200C. At least someone realizes that Harley's don't necessarily have the best looks possible for a cruiser.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote