Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-27-2001, 03:09 PM   #141
Templator
Founding Member

Default Re: Ummm, Sir

What constitutes a "sportbike engine"? Ducati, Suzuki and Aprila, to name a few, are using V-Twins on cutting edge sportbikes. Honda has a flat 6 on the Valkrie. In line 4's have been used on about any type of bike you can name. I'm of the opinion that many people tolerate cruiser style bikes because they enjoy the torque of the V-twin engines which are typical of the breed. Sooner or later someone in the motorcycle industry is going to see the wisdom of putting one of these enjoyable powerplants on a truly comfortable, lightweight, 2-up sport touring machine. When they do, they'll sell boatloads of them.
Templator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2001, 05:32 PM   #142
Beethoven
Founding Member

Default Re: Difference between HP and HP

I hear what you are saying, but if I remember correctly, my old Royal Enfield made almost as much horsepower at almost the same rpm on half the displacement. It had a sloppy Lucas magneto, and old fashioned carbs that were quite primitive. The manufacturing tolerances between the parts and the metallurgy were almost pre world war two!

It was also a long stroke motor and pulled really well at 3000 rpm and even better from 4000 to 5000 rpm. At 60 mph it was turning about 3000 rpm (I think the Kawi is turning about 2850) and would pull like stink without downshifting. It would seem that 75 rear wheel hp is not too much to ask from 1500 cc's. I see that Yamaha is claiming a 40% increase in HP and more torque to boot on the new Warrior. I don't know but it is almost as if Kawi is designing a bike that meets the mimimum percieved needs of their buyers, rather than a bike that shows what they can really do. Why not go all the way and have a 75 hp bike with a little more ground clearance that can really corner!

I liked your politically incorrect joke too!
Beethoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 12:19 PM   #143
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

I have a 1983 V65 Magna. This is the bike I ALWAYS wanted since it was brand new and I was but a pup. This 18 year old bike had 116 hp and 68ft-lbs. of torque. Stronger and lighter than the Vrod. It weighs less than any of these "Power-Cruisers" and will embarass all but the V-max( and it's not too far off the Vmax's pace). You can get one for $3000-4000 in near new condition if you look hard.

I just don't get the modern cruisers. I don't want a bike that FEELS powerful unless it IS powerful. I love low end torque, but I like a top-end rush too. I'd rather see a 1400-1800cc (120-140 rwhp and tons of torque)V4 in a chassis that is designed to handle it, with styling from the power cruisers combined with elements from the drag bikes. But what do I know, I'm just a consumer?
Borg-Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2001, 12:33 PM   #144
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: Ummm, Sir

Gee, sounds like a Pacific Coast. Just with a bigger motor, and maybe SOME kind of styling?
Old 09-04-2001, 12:41 PM   #145
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: saki Mean Streak

Honda could (theoreticlly) take a 45degree motor and make it think it's a 90degree motor by offsetting the crankpins(that's what they did to quell vibration in the firstplace). Then they could put VTR heads on it, and have the packaging of the "normal" cruiser motors, and still have sportbike level power. It could happen.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:47 PM   #146
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: I suppose I should say something positive...

Harley's Duece styling isn't original. Bike customizers come up with those ideas, Willie G. liked the look and put it on a production bike. He said so in an interveiw.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:53 PM   #147
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: I call it competing not copying...

Firebolt not as ugly as the SV650? I disagree. All Buells rate high on my ulgometer. I can't find anything I like on them at all. The SV650, on the other hand, I like quite a bit. Not the MOST beautiful, but definitly sexy in its naked(gasp!) form.
Old 09-04-2001, 12:56 PM   #148
Borg-Biker
Founding Member

Default Re: I think these will end being heavily discounted.

LMAO!
Old 09-05-2001, 08:52 AM   #149
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Feeding the inner child

Whatever you say, sport... guess that either makes you a bad-*ss or stupid, or both.
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 07:10 PM   #150
vmxxx
Founding Member

Default Re: Feeding the inner child

well let me first say that I own a Volvo, a vmax and an R1. Actually the volvo is my wife's car, All three are fun and btw a Volvo handles like it's on rails...believe it or not, I didn't but ....now I own one.....any curve can be safley navigated at twice the posted speed if you know what you are doing.Depending on what you're on even more, always wear a helmet and protection and always ride like the world is trying to kill you. expect the worst. Speed isn't stupid...not knowing how to handle it is. If its in traffic I'd say you're an idiot for risking other's lives but when alone it's up to you what you choose to do. Just don't try to kill me showing off.....peace.
vmxxx is offline   Reply With Quote