Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789)

Philbiker 08-17-2001 04:53 AM

Re: Wallpaper

Many Motorcycle Online stories come with links to "wallpaper". These are large images. I'm running 1280x1024 on my desktop. The tiny photographs in the Mean Streak article don't qualify.

Philbiker 08-17-2001 05:03 AM

Enjoy it. A great motorcycle IMO. (nt)

nt

Rob-SV650 08-17-2001 09:17 AM

Re: This motorcycle is goregeous.

Personally I think the Warrior kinda looks like a hybrid of a chopper and a V-Max.

LimeSqueezr 08-18-2001 03:25 AM

Re: This motorcycle is goregeous.

To me the Warrior looks like a bike with a MAJOR identity crisis. The MS is what it is, very pretty, I'm just amused by the emperor worshipers who insist it has a grain of originality anywhere. Note the exhaust everybody likes is an unabashed ripoff of Vance&Hines' Straightshots or Longshots or whatever they're called.

Templator 08-18-2001 05:29 AM

Re: saki Mean Streak

Hey Vinnie,.. yeah, I'm a geezer too. Personally, I think that Willie G. and the boys did an outstanding job of making Harleys a quality product again back in the 80's. Having said that, I also think that they were a little too savvy with their marketing games. True, Japan did mimic HD when they began making V-Twin cruisers, and the first couple of generations were pretty screwey looking contraptions. But it's a new day. This new Vulcan seems to me to be a good definition of what a new millenia cruiser should be,.. sleek,..good brakes, good handling characteristics, and all for about $8K less than a comparibly appointed Harley. I like riding motorcycles. I don't givva fat rats ass what label it wears on the tank. As far as I'm concerned, the world has enough old farts going around in leather doo rags trying to be Sonny Barger, anyway.

Beethoven 08-18-2001 07:30 AM

Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

I know that this doesn't quite fit, but I have two questions for the author of this article.

I'm a bit (?) confused. Does "Damn Skippy" mean something good or bad? Does the Kawasaki deliver or not - what do you mean?

What do you mean the VTX feels Japanese? Like a Suzuki 1500 Intruder? Like a Hayabusa? - and some bikes feel "Cheezier" - are you saying the VTX feels this way? Are you saying that the VTX feels like a cheezy Japanese cruiser? What does that mean?

As someone who is trying to decide between the two bikes I must say you are not helping. Could you please clarify this as I am sure there are others who want more detail. After all, aren't the Kawasaki's main points that it supposedly handles better and is lighter than the VTX? Does it deliver any really significant improvements over the VTX in handling?

slowburner_1 08-18-2001 08:22 PM

How come I can't find this bike at Kawasaki's web site?

I have to agree with a comment in an earlier post that MO's photos leave something to be desired. I hate having to turn my head at 45 degrees to try to see what a motorcycle looks like. Cut the glamor shots, guys, and give us some clean shots of the bike.

BTW, I have never even contemplated buying a cruiser before this current crop of "power cruisers" hit the market. But I could see myself on one of these...

mj 08-22-2001 07:00 AM

GREAT IDEA !!!

I too own a superhawk. If Honda put the SH motor in a power cruiser they would really have something that could go head to head with the new Hardly water pumper.

mj 08-22-2001 07:13 AM

The " mean streak " looked like something that I might be interested in until I got a good look at the handlebars. What the hell were the designers thinking when they designed those things ? WELDED TO THE UPPER TRIPLE CLAMP !!! What if the bike falls off it's stand and bends a bar, how do you fix it, replace the whole unit ??? How can you switch to different bars. I could never buy a bike that was designed in such a short sighted way. Wake up Kawasaki !

Gixxerboy 08-22-2001 09:43 AM

Re: Feeding the inner child

Aw man, we're rambling in circles here... cruisers do this and don't do that, sporty bikes... bla bla bla.

There are Harley sportsers and custom (real) hardtail riders that take their machines huge distances as are there sport bike riders (mines an 86 gsxr1100 and i regularly do 1000km800mile days on trips and if that aint a sporty bike riding position I don't know what is!) who do the same (my group has YZF's, CBR's, ZX11, FZR). Then there are the posers... on cruisers, sportbikes, standards you name it.

The only guys who every consistently ride big distances (on average) are beemer K riders and wingers.

Everyone else rides poses and (hopefully) enjoys their bike

enough nonsense from me.