Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-15-2001, 03:16 PM   #111
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: I call it competing not copying...

Ah, are you referring to those courses where people are taught to make a high-quality product and sell it as a reasonable price, as opposed to charging too much for an inferior product while attracting customers through jingoistic nationalism and name recognition?

You don't even have to be Japanese to enjoy those classes! I've heard that Triumph and Aprilia engineers also show up, though Harley-Davidson and Ducati engineers are conspicuously absent.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2001, 03:36 PM   #112
Jaime
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

AMEN!

-Jaime
Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 11:06 PM   #113
nome
Founding Member

Default Re: Try these...

OK I just bought a Superglide, love it. 3300 miles in 2.5 months. Brother in law just bought a Deuce. Great bike good lean angle. The Harley thing that I've noticed so far is that when I ride with a friend who has a metric cruiser, every time we stop I have to hear that "it's nice but don't think their woth the money" or " it sounds ok but mine gets me here just the same" but it's every time. I got on a waiting list and got a good deal. Harley's aren't too high priced just in too high of a demand, I hate to say it but if I were a dealer I would cash in to. I mean if you sell one at list and the guy turns around a makes two grand on it then why not! I owned a bicycle shop and there was a time the demand out paced the supply, but not forever. I have read some great articles on how hard it is to package a cruiser and get epa certified. there is a reason why they lack power from the factory. Look at the BMW 1200c numbers, to get it down in the rev range they gave up a lot. don't know what point I'm makin' here ride safe
nome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 04:52 AM   #114
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: I call it competing not copying...

Glad to hear Triumph shows up at those classes you refer to since I ride a Triumph not a Kaw W650 *copy.* But I suspect Bloor's boys have also been showing up at the ones I was talking about since rumor has it they will prostitute themselves Japan-style and introduce their first hardcore cruiser (as opposed to the mildly custom-styled Adventurer which is alas being canned). This "Hinckley-Davidson" if you will, is said to be based on the new Bonnie. Oh well, at least it won't be a v-twin (hope you're starting to discern the difference between "copying" and "competing").
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 06:31 AM   #115
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

"Not wanting to get married" (assuming a person oriented toward the opposite sex in the first place) means that when it inevitably does happen they'll fall hard and stay with it, as opposed to somebody who's wanting to get married and thus IAL will pick the wrong person the first 2 or 3 attempts at it. So it's a good sign in him, actually.

I'm another person who's owned several Harleys (don't currently own one) who never thought of them as being the "best" motorcycle at this, that or the other. Yet I still enjoyed every one of them (and got most or more of my money back on every one of them too). So I'm not sure how "better bikes available" is even relevant to owning the motorcycle you like, regardless of whether better or not in reality. There are "better" men available and my wife is attractive enough she could have plenty of them, so I hope she takes into consideration things other than who's "best."
Old 08-16-2001, 08:09 AM   #116
nome
Founding Member

very well said!
nome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:59 AM   #117
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default News of the weird

"Prostitute themselves Japan-style and introduce their first hardcore cruiser"?

Tsk, tsk, tsk. So LimeSqueezr, introducing hardcore cruisers is something only Americans are allowed to do? Others are prostituting themselves? Pathetic.

And why all this bitterness against our Japanese brothers anyway? So VTX beat HD fair and square. So what. Or is it a copy too? Does not look or feel like any HD to me but surely you can find some curvature on the fender or some such proving 100% that it is a blatant *copy* of a -59 sportster.

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 10:23 AM   #118
Coach
Founding Member

Default Ducati Cruiser

Ducati did make a cruiser years back with the 90 degree Pantah engine. It was called the Indiana (I think - they and Moto Guzzi were using US state names in that era - maybe Florida?). Anyway, I don't think it sold too well, but it looked OK - very similar to the metric cruisers of the day..

Another way to package a 90 degree engine is transversely, a la Moto Guzzi. Imagine a CX500 updated with the Super Hawk engine - enough power and a ballsy look with the cylinders jutting out to the side!

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 10:59 AM   #119
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: News of the weird

I've no "bitterness" against the Japanese because I have no reason to. I just choose to recognize that the Emperor has no clothes (that his tailors didn't copy from the west, anyway). Oh well, at least he's not a deity anymore, and neither is Honda nor the VTX. But a few people don't want to recognize that either. Now Koreans and some Chinese and some others *do* have a reason to be bitter when the Japanese start re-writing history. Or maybe you don't follow the news --that's a whole 'nother story. I just don't have anything against them myself. IF you read my other posts you'd see that I've had several positive things to say about the Mean Streak, and it would be on my list IF I were in the market for a cruiser, but l call a spade a spade and a copy a copy.

Perhaps it's a bit chauvinistic of me to want Triumph to stick with what Triumph does best, but as somebody who has plopped down money for both Japanese motorcycles and British, if I want to say they are both prostituting themselves by making cruisers, I will. You're pretty "pathetic" if you think you have to "tsk tsk tsk" people just for having opinions on such things. People who do that remind me of a frustrated old-maid school teacher.

Old 08-17-2001, 04:19 AM   #120
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Cruiser

Hmm... transversely mounted engine... sounds like it'd work.. yep, Guzzi does it. I personally always thought that it looked a bit odd, just my opinion though. I wonder how many Guzzi faithful would get wrankled though "Hey! you're copying us, posers!"

It'd start a whole new 'bike holy-war'... oh brother! .. ha!

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote