Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-15-2001, 09:12 AM   #101
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default No you don't

>>>May not be comfy for you, but you see far more "cruisers" ridden long distances than you do "sport bikes".<<<

I've toured to Daytona for events many many times. The cruisers are 99.999% trailered. The sport tourers are all ridden. The touring bikes are 50% towed (alarmingly). Cruiser riders don't tour. They suck for touring. Why do you think most of the "touring cruisers" have more ergonomically correct footpegs and controls? You won't find feet way forward on a Nomad, Electra-Glide, Venture, or Valkyrie Tourer.

Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2001, 09:24 AM   #102
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default I would qualify the VFR as a "sport standard" myself.

It certainly isn't an all-out sportbike. Can't really call it a sport tourer since it doesn't have factory bags available (that makes a statement). The new "standard" is the sporty bike.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:27 AM   #103
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: A couple of notes here...

I agree with you the standard riding position of a base XLH is closer to a standard than a cruiser, albeit "modified" not "pure" since most standards IME do not have short semi-flat handlebars like the basic (non-Hugger) 883. The Hugger OTOH has mild buckhorns and does end up with a position fairly close to traditional standards. Nonetheless, it was the *seat* on it that made your butt go numb not the riding position. That's easily fixed.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 09:32 AM   #104
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default This motorcycle is goregeous.

I love the seamless tank that looks to be more derivative of Moto Guzzi than Harley-Davidson. The pipes look fantastic. Front end and rear fender have very clean lines. Power is adequate, looks fantastic. This is one beautiful bike.

If Vulcan 1500 history is any indicator, Kawasaki's got a hit on their hands. The VTX is absolutely BUTT FUGLY, TOO BIG for this class, and weighs WAY TOO MUCH. It is in a class by itself, and in that class it will do nicely. The Warrior and the Mean Streak are going to duke it out they both are very nice, but the MS looks a little better.

And I have to say, the lack of a seam around the gas tank makes a HUGE difference in how good a cruiser looks. When are the other manufacturers going to catch on??? The seams on the VTX and Warrior look like cheap s**t.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:36 AM   #105
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default P.S.

Hey Motorcycle Online - Where's the wallpaper? This is one beautiful bike I'd like a big photo on my desktop! I use MO wallpaper all the time (suggestion: put a logo on the images)

Also - as for the Harley - it's not in the same class as the VTX/Warrior/Mean Streak IMO.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:40 AM   #106
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Try these...

I want a Harley too, there's something about them that makes me want to ride across country on one, preferably a Road King Classic. And the Night Train is a great looker right out of the box. (can anyone tell I like black streetfighter style?). I have also heard the FZ1 is at it's best when in the mountains. And you're right about the FJR; yamaha needs to bring that to the US.

Foxy

Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 09:56 AM   #107
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Wallpaper

If you use Internet Explorer, simply right click on the image and a menu appears. One of the selections is "Set as Wallpaper". Click that, and poof! Kawa Mean Streak all over your desktop.

Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 10:19 AM   #108
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

I think the Speed Triple is included in the 'etc.' heheh
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 11:45 AM   #109
Templator
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki Mean Streak reader feedback

Seems that the worst thing that anyone can say about this new Kawasaki cruiser is that it doesn't have the power of Harley's new V-Rod. Well, I'm neither here nor there on Harleys. The V-Rod is a fine bike, by all accounts. But I can walk into my local dealer and ride off on a Mean Streak *today* for $11K. Try finding a V-Rod. If you do find one, offer the dealer MSRP for it and prepared to get laughed at. You folks in the motorcycle press treat the subject of money in a very cavalier manner. Most of us have to work hard for a loooooong time for some! Anyway,.. to sum up, I like the Mean Streak,.. It's a polished, classy ride,.. I'm gonna buy it.
Templator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 12:13 PM   #110
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: Try these...

I'm a Deuce man myself. It's the first American Made bike that has ever grabbed my attention. Wouldn't mind having a Road King Classic though! One of these days (when the kids are gone) I'm going to travel all over this country on a Harley.

The FZ1 is great in the mountains except for it's one downfall (my opinion), it needs fuel injection. It can be a little doggy getting it started in high altitudes. The pegs can also buzzzzzzzz your feet to sleep after an extended ride. Other than the minor issues I have (hard bags would also be nice), it's a perfect machine. I think I'll keep her for awhile. Until at least the FJR comes a calling!

Dryfly
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote