Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-08-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster S4 Reader Feedback

I think the old one looked better... but more power is always a good thing! So is water-cooling. I'll wait'll I hear one on the street before I make any judgements. There's a Monster 900 with 2 Brothers cans on it near my house that sounds PHAT.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2001, 02:01 PM   #2
ngall
Founding Member

Nice. Very nice. A bit expensive, but it sounds very, very good for mountain riding. I realize that one does not need insane horsepower to ride rapidly twisty mountain roads (which is my favorite thing to do). A broad power band, good handling, good brakes, and a decent riding position are more appropriate characteristics. Sounds like a great bike, but I'd have to ride one to see if the price is justifiable.
ngall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 02:10 PM   #3
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Grrrreat! Now let's have a streetfighter shootout!!!

Monster S4 - Speed Triple - X1 - Raptor

(is this the first post?)
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 02:18 PM   #4
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default If seriously looking...

don't overlook the Triumph Speed Triple. It's got a ballsier engine, about the same ergonomics, absolutely gorgeous sound (the triple barks) and also VERY distinctive looks. To top it all you can probably walk away from a dealership with a 2001 under MSRP (10.5K)... all that of course if you are willing to give up the Ducati name.

By the way most Triumph dealers offer test rides and some Ducati dealers do it as well. Check them out yourself.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 03:28 PM   #5
Hogtied
Founding Member

I had a '97 M900... nice bike.. kinda miss it to be honest. Great fun.

I'd seriously considered buying a new M900S4 until I saw one in person. The radiator and gadgetry is just plain FUGLY! Our local Duc dealer has one of the Foggy S4s due in in December - I may take a look at it and see if it makes it worth reconsidering. If not, I'll probably get a Guzzi V11 Sport

Also makes one wonder how long it'll be before they shoehorn a 996 into a Monster.
Hogtied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 05:25 PM   #6
Gecko
Founding Member

Saw one in the parking lot at work and I gotta agree...FUGLY. They should have spent more time cleaning up the extra stuff that is normally cover by plastic (wires, hoses etc). Clean lines are part of what makes a street firghter
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 05:38 PM   #7
Gecko
Founding Member

A Streetfighter shootout should include a S4, a Speed Triple, a Raptor (they'll never get one in the US), a FZ1, a XB9R, a Bandit 12(since the TL1000 is no more) and a ZRX1220R. Too bad Honda doesn't have anything but then again maybe not it would likely be boring.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 05:54 PM   #8
TheFox
Founding Member

Default The other monsters

I just got a 2001 Monster 750 Dark (I like the streetfighter look, so I went with matte black), and I paid 6,595 plus tax, title etc. and this is fantastic. Plenty fast, and the bike just wants to lean and lean and lean some more, it boggles my mind. Then again, my last ride was a 76 Gold Wing earlier this summer...

I have to agree though: the preload is non existent on the rear shock, and the front end does kind of dive a bit more than I think it should. But for that much less money, I got the same Brembos, the same rear suspension (the forks on the 750 are non adjustable, but otherwise identical I believe), the same seat, and no carbon fibre. Hell of a deal, and even the resident squids down the street look at it in awe as I ride by: they don't realize their Gixxers can blow me into the weeds!

Loving my Monster,

The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 07:34 PM   #9
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Interesting. For roughly the same price, I can get a Harley V-rod, which has a high-tech liquid cooled 8-valve V-twin, more than a hundred horsepower, cool, streetfighter looks, and a decent handling chassis, or I can get a Ducati Monster S-4, which has a higher-tech, liquid-cooled 8-vavle V-twin, more than a hundred horsepower, cool, streetfighter looks, a much better handling chassis, and still have $4000 to spend on engine and suspension upgrades.

Well, like the saying goes, speed costs money. How fast do you want to look like you're going?

NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 07:47 PM   #10
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Or you can buy yourself a Honda Superhawk, get more than 100 hp in a sweet V-twin engine, and use the remaining $7000 to turn it into a one-of-a-kind naked streetfighter...

Or you can buy a FZ-1, get more than 100 hp, cool looks, a good handling chassis, and have $7000 left to buy yourself a second motorcycle
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote