Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Ducati Monster S4 Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/784-ducati-monster-s4-reader-feedback.html)

CBR1000F 08-08-2001 01:58 PM

Re: Ducati Monster S4 Reader Feedback

I think the old one looked better... but more power is always a good thing! So is water-cooling. I'll wait'll I hear one on the street before I make any judgements. There's a Monster 900 with 2 Brothers cans on it near my house that sounds PHAT.

ngall 08-08-2001 02:01 PM

Nice. Very nice. A bit expensive, but it sounds very, very good for mountain riding. I realize that one does not need insane horsepower to ride rapidly twisty mountain roads (which is my favorite thing to do). A broad power band, good handling, good brakes, and a decent riding position are more appropriate characteristics. Sounds like a great bike, but I'd have to ride one to see if the price is justifiable.

SilverBullet 08-08-2001 02:10 PM

Grrrreat! Now let's have a streetfighter shootout!!!

Monster S4 - Speed Triple - X1 - Raptor

(is this the first post?)

SilverBullet 08-08-2001 02:18 PM

If seriously looking...

don't overlook the Triumph Speed Triple. It's got a ballsier engine, about the same ergonomics, absolutely gorgeous sound (the triple barks) and also VERY distinctive looks. To top it all you can probably walk away from a dealership with a 2001 under MSRP (10.5K)... all that of course if you are willing to give up the Ducati name.

By the way most Triumph dealers offer test rides and some Ducati dealers do it as well. Check them out yourself.

Hogtied 08-08-2001 03:28 PM

I had a '97 M900... nice bike.. kinda miss it to be honest. Great fun.

I'd seriously considered buying a new M900S4 until I saw one in person. The radiator and gadgetry is just plain FUGLY! Our local Duc dealer has one of the Foggy S4s due in in December - I may take a look at it and see if it makes it worth reconsidering. If not, I'll probably get a Guzzi V11 Sport

Also makes one wonder how long it'll be before they shoehorn a 996 into a Monster.

Gecko 08-08-2001 05:25 PM

Saw one in the parking lot at work and I gotta agree...FUGLY. They should have spent more time cleaning up the extra stuff that is normally cover by plastic (wires, hoses etc). Clean lines are part of what makes a street firghter

Gecko 08-08-2001 05:38 PM

A Streetfighter shootout should include a S4, a Speed Triple, a Raptor (they'll never get one in the US), a FZ1, a XB9R, a Bandit 12(since the TL1000 is no more) and a ZRX1220R. Too bad Honda doesn't have anything but then again maybe not it would likely be boring.

TheFox 08-08-2001 05:54 PM

The other monsters

I just got a 2001 Monster 750 Dark (I like the streetfighter look, so I went with matte black), and I paid 6,595 plus tax, title etc. and this is fantastic. Plenty fast, and the bike just wants to lean and lean and lean some more, it boggles my mind. Then again, my last ride was a 76 Gold Wing earlier this summer...

I have to agree though: the preload is non existent on the rear shock, and the front end does kind of dive a bit more than I think it should. But for that much less money, I got the same Brembos, the same rear suspension (the forks on the 750 are non adjustable, but otherwise identical I believe), the same seat, and no carbon fibre. Hell of a deal, and even the resident squids down the street look at it in awe as I ride by: they don't realize their Gixxers can blow me into the weeds!

Loving my Monster,

The Fox

NickdaBrick 08-08-2001 07:34 PM

Interesting. For roughly the same price, I can get a Harley V-rod, which has a high-tech liquid cooled 8-valve V-twin, more than a hundred horsepower, cool, streetfighter looks, and a decent handling chassis, or I can get a Ducati Monster S-4, which has a higher-tech, liquid-cooled 8-vavle V-twin, more than a hundred horsepower, cool, streetfighter looks, a much better handling chassis, and still have $4000 to spend on engine and suspension upgrades.

Well, like the saying goes, speed costs money. How fast do you want to look like you're going?

starvingstudent 08-08-2001 07:47 PM

Or you can buy yourself a Honda Superhawk, get more than 100 hp in a sweet V-twin engine, and use the remaining $7000 to turn it into a one-of-a-kind naked streetfighter...

Or you can buy a FZ-1, get more than 100 hp, cool looks, a good handling chassis, and have $7000 left to buy yourself a second motorcycle :)

boxjoint 08-08-2001 08:14 PM

The monster series of bikes is what attracted me towards standards since they came out. I had (as my first street bike) a 93' bandit 400 which took some styling cues from the monster. I do feel however that buying a Ducati is similar in many respects to buying a harley. With a Ducati you get distinct styling, exclusivity, and resale value. Ducatis are not the most practical, affordable or even powerful street bikes out there however, they come as one neat little package that have to be fun to ride. I personally am a cheap SOB so I don't think that owning one is possible in the near future but I enjoy looking at them!

By the way, I just picked up a 01' ZRX1200 for 7300.00 out the door and love this bike!! If any of you are considering the Z-Rex and have questions please feel free to E-Mail me.

cbusa 08-09-2001 02:21 AM

The Bandit 400 was a fun bike. Ducati must have thought so too. The Bandit pre dates the Monster line.

MoMo 08-09-2001 02:53 AM

just get a SV-650 and spend the money you saved on all kinds of performance goodies.

Patrick-of-the-Hills 08-09-2001 03:46 AM

A story that has nothing to do with scooters! Like, yeah!

Recent conversation at the Ducati shop in Ithaca (gratuitous plug: Progressive Powersports, www.pro-power.com, a truly great place) centered around the likelihood of a 916-motor SS, which would undoubtedly be (as scooter-rider Martha Stewart would say) a Good Thing. Ducati's increasingly steep pricing structure makes me wonder if it would be worth it, though.

ducati 08-09-2001 04:02 AM

Sounds like a 916! MMMMN... I'm counting the days until one shows up at my door :)

ducati 08-09-2001 04:04 AM

3rd gear twisties are what Monsters live for. I have the little M750, and there's just about nothing I'd rather ride in 50-80mph bends.. It's just so satisfying to ride the torque curve and take advantage of the nimble handling.

I'm seriously considering swapping for the S4 to get the adjustable suspension, 6-speed box, better ground clearance, and of course that lovely engine..

trontech 08-09-2001 05:15 AM

Re: 13k is just too expensive...!!!!!!

Someone has to tell this italian morons to stop making overpriced,glorified,crap.

trontech 08-09-2001 05:18 AM

Re: honda needs that raptor in the u.s.

i dont think theyll be the only manufacturer not to jump in the naked bike frenzy.

Its a great looking bike

tas7107 08-09-2001 05:20 AM

I have drooled over Ducatis especially the Monster ever since I've been old enough to know better. Unfortunately as I've grown and my income has risen to a point where I can afford one, Ducati has seen fit to keep their prices just beyond my reach. Is this corporate masochistic torture or what. Guess I'll keep visiting my Honda dealer and buy substance over class.

trontech 08-09-2001 05:23 AM

Re: about blowing by squids....

for that money you couldve gotten the kawi zrx 1200.

trontech 08-09-2001 05:25 AM

it's not worth it!!!!!!!

bwilder 08-09-2001 05:42 AM

I have been eyeballin' the Monster 900 and Buell Cyclone for over a year now and would be nice if I could get some feedback as to reliability issues on both.

I realize people don't like the Buell because of all the recalls and such but I know the 01's and 02's are much better. I have also heard the duc to be unreliable with expensive maintenance.

Also, what is a Honda X1? (listed in write-up on S4)

Eric 08-09-2001 05:52 AM

The M2 Cyclone has been the least impacted Buell in terms of recalls. I know a few owners. They generally haven't had many problems. You do have to make sure everything is tight (especially the exhaust, from what I understand), but the M2 seems to be very well sorted -- at least as far as Buells go. If you are interested in commuting, it also happens to get great gas mileage. None of this is first hand, only what I know through a few owners.

PsychoBueller 08-09-2001 05:56 AM

After 6 years of Hondas/Suzukis/BMWs, I took a chance on a 2000 Buell Cyclone. THIS BIKE IS AWESOME!!!!! It is fast, extremely torquey, looks great, handles like a dream, and feels/sounds like nothing else out there! In fact, I bought another one for my Dad to ride. Both have been very reliable. Buell's quality had gotten significantly better every year. It is the most fun I ever had on two wheels!

SilverBullet 08-09-2001 06:14 AM

Re: 13k is just too expensive...!!!!!!

No, somebody has to tell these italian morons to lower their prices so we can get more of their gorgeous bikes :)

SilverBullet 08-09-2001 06:18 AM

Re: shootout

When doing a shootout "the more the merrier" but don't you think that the Bandit 1200, FZ1 and ZRX are a little too heavy to be in the same class as the other bikes? (which by the way only sport triples or v-twins under 1000cc)

Anyway, the more the merrier...

wwalkersd 08-09-2001 06:29 AM

Regarding the S4's ugly hoses (which are under the fairing on my ST4, where they were meant to be), I've got just one word for Ducati: Aeroquip.

If you've gotta have exposed hoses, they should at least be the best damn looking hoses you can buy!

starvingstudent 08-09-2001 06:59 AM

I bet you'll be happier in the long run with the substance :)

MuzzyMatt 08-09-2001 07:00 AM

When they said "Honda X1" they may have meant X11, a Europe-only streetfighter that contains the 1100cc Blackbird engine. The bike came out there a few years back (1999?) and seems to have gained some sort of following dispite its awkward looks. Maybe the X1 is something totally different and I'm just babbling...

starvingstudent 08-09-2001 07:04 AM

No, you've got it right. There's no such thing as a Honda X1, just the (silly) X-11. The X1 is a Buell.

For those interested, you can get info on the X-11 at www.honda.co.uk

NickdaBrick 08-09-2001 07:20 AM

I just checked out the Honda X-11. What a cool bike! I can't imagine why Honda isn't bringing it in to duke it out with the Yamaha FZ1 and the Kawasaki ZXR-1200.

Actually, it looks like British customers get lots of cool bikes not offered in the US. Maybe Honda is trying to do something nice for British riders, to compensate them for that terrible English cooking.

littlepoison 08-09-2001 07:53 AM

Hey whatabout the Honda Hornet 900

Rafi 08-09-2001 08:04 AM

Re: about ugly ZRX

Unfortunately, the ZRX is mostly only cool to those who remember the old '80's superbikes. Otherwise, it's a heavy, ugly bike by today's standards. I'd much rather have a Monster.

bwilder 08-09-2001 08:08 AM

More good success storied on the Cyclone please!!!

I went down to the local Ducati dealer at lunch and the monster doesn't "do it" for me in the looks department. Sounds awesome with aftermarket pipes though!

Why do these manufacturers screw us like this. I also saw a Yamaha bike called the bulldog in a magazine that is the reliability answer to all these naked bikes. Guess what? Not coming to the states....

slimy_one 08-09-2001 08:15 AM

A few months ago bought a new '01 M2L, MSRP $8995, for $7995. Better than sex (well, okay, not too far off anyway). Everything I want out of a *real-world* sportbike (as opposed to one you can't really tap the potential of except on a track) including truckloads of torque right where you need it and handling that borders on the magical once you tweak it a little. Plus a sane riding position and all that torque that make it a very decent commuter. And to top all off (this is not why I buy a bike, but it's nice): the sound of it with a V&H slip-on will make any cruiser out there weep.

Had one little timing glitch when I first got it, that the dealer fixed real fast. Other than that no significant problems. Maintenance is easy and cheap (which from what I've heard is, how shall we say, not necessarily an accurate description of Ducatis). The reason maintenance is easy and cheap is that a Cyclone has mostly a Harley XL drivetrain, of course, just souped up to the 91 hp that Sportster buyers would love to buy off the rack but the Motor Co. won't do it for obvious reasons).

Rafi 08-09-2001 08:20 AM

Re: Ducati Monster S4 not based on 888

The article mentions the S4 as being based on the 888 frame, but that only includes the previous Monsters. Isn't the S4 derived from the ST touring bike frame?

CBR1000F 08-09-2001 08:41 AM

Good point.

jamesohoh7 08-09-2001 09:11 AM

Re: about ugly ZRX

To each his own.. but like someone on this site once said (something to the effect of)

"In 10 years, you'll look at today's GSX-R (or pick another sport-bike) and go 'BLECH!' while the ZRX will still look pretty doggone nice... it won't date itself anymore than it has out of the box." Something to be said for simplicity.

Your tastes don't run that way, no biggie... but the bike isn't 'ugly' and it's not much heavier than the rest of the 'standards' out there. It'll

still run high 10's w/all that weight!

It's an invalid comparison to compare it to a 600cc sport-bike, or even an open-classer... apples and oranges.

Like I said, to each his own.. I like 'em all personally (or most of 'em.. there are a few I can't stand either!).

You can't tell me that anything old or old-styled is automatically uncool either... if that were the case, then I'd fully expect you to refuse the keys to a pristine '63 split-window 'vette (or substitute whatever classic sports-car suits you)..

How many pairs of bell-bottoms or their new-fangled counter-parts those 'big-ass baggy pants' (bell-bottoms for the 90's, 00's believe it) do you own? Bells are coming back.. so are hip-huggers and mini-skits (H E L L yeah!! :) ) for the women-folk... if you subscribe to THAT old-school stuff, why not the ZRX?... food for thought??

I appreciate the choices that are finally out there.. I stayed out of the bike market for a long time b/c EVERYTHING looked the same... then I went and bought an old-school ('84) sport-bike anyway... such is life!

Peace out! (or whatever the kids are saying now... some recycled version of a previous generation's salutation!)

-James

SilverBullet 08-09-2001 09:46 AM

The Bulldog doesn't put out enough HP

In its current configuration the Bulldog has a substantial lack of hp when compared to the other bikes mentioned here... not suitable for the US where "bigger is better".

I see no reason why more power can't be extracted from that powerplant, though. Maybe next year.

SilverBullet 08-09-2001 09:47 AM

That is correct