Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-10-2001, 12:49 PM   #71
mdpeterson
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster S4 Reader Feedback

Yeah, and I'll tell you who would be reported as the

winner and save you the anticipation/aggrivation... FZ1

Mark
mdpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2001, 05:16 PM   #72
SpikeD
Founding Member

Default Re: Insurance rates

I'd give progressive a call. I'm 20 years old, I have two speeding tickets, and I still only pay about $380/yr for my 1203cc '99 Buell M2.

Spike
SpikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 12:00 PM   #73
nome
Founding Member

though I have a Superglide and like chrome, I agree with you. I was tempted too get a Duc this year, seem well priced to me, but thought it was a bit like a tattoo. After you have shown everybody then what? But there is some good riding here in Tennessee so it would be a great second bike, just hard to take the wife along! live long and ride whatever, James
nome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:29 PM   #74
poopypants
Founding Member

Default Re: The other monsters

You poor fellow, you should have bought a Suzuki SV650. It has much better performance, and I'm sure far supperior reliability.

I have 20k miles on my '99 without a single problem. Do you think you will be able to say that about your duck at 20k?

And how much is that valve job going to cost you?
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 11:28 AM   #75
speed3
Founding Member

Default Sounds like a case of Ducati envy!!!

Sorry to rain on your parade of Ducati bashing and Japanese worship, but to me it sounds like you have sour grapes because you can't anty up for one. The Japanese bikes are great, but some yearn for something a little bit different. I have owned 2 Ducati's and had 0 problems with either. My only complaint was that I am too tall to fit comfortably on them. If I could fit comfortably I would still have one.

I would love to see where you are getting your very scientific data from. One last question, have you ever ridden any of the bikes you so freely comment on?
speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 04:49 PM   #76
Jase
Founding Member

Default Re: about ugly ZRX

You either "get" the ZRX or you don't. Most people don't. You can't explain it to people or sell it to anyone. It's a classic right out of the box. Oh yeah, I love the Monster too but there's a about every other bike on the market I would buy b4 it just based on price. However, if the ZRX was priced similarly I'd still have considered it. That's how good that bike looks. Sorry, Eddie who? Well b4 my time.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 11:35 AM   #77
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: If seriously looking...

I've had my 1999 Speed Triple for 1 1/2 years now and havn't had anything major go wrong. It has little things go wrong now and again (tripmeter,taillight,etc.), but it's never even hinted at leaving me stranded. The bike is my main transport (22,000mi/year) and I've taken it through every condition I can think of. I've even gone off roading with it!! I've jumped railroad tracks,wheelied up dirveway ramps at 30mph, done tons of sport-touring,weekend trips to the canyons, rain, snow, a track-day...You name it. I even took a bad spill in the canyons with it, and it costed me less than $300 to make it road worthy. It would have been a write-off if it were a Duc. And I've dealt with Triumph dealers in 3 states and found them to be motorcycle enthusiasts first, buisnessmen sencond. It's a bummer that the suspension is all wrong for me and the gearbox and back brake are worthless, but with all that torque and a front brake that good you don't need either of them....Enough talk, I'm going riding...

See you in the hills,

-John
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 11:47 AM   #78
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

Default Re: shootout

I'd say put them all in for the contrast at the very least. I like to see bikes that take radically different approaches to reach the same goal. I think the "super-standards" are trying to fill the same hole as the "streetfighters", just with one being more everyday practical. I still sometimes wonder if I'd be happier with a ZRX instead of my Speed Triple simply because the seat looks much more comfortable. I'd love to see standards and street fighters go head to head just to see how the streetfighters stacked up once the intitial "wow" factor wore off. Are you listening MO???? Bandit,FZ,ZRX,Speed Triple,a Buell , and a Monster in a "real world" comparo to see if everyday usability outweighs sportability....
Old 08-23-2001, 11:50 AM   #79
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

If they put a 996 motor in a Monster they'd have a hard time charging $16,000 for a 996.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:13 PM   #80
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

I used to think the same thing about Ducati's being big boy toys until Daytona when I saw a group from Alberta Canada there. They were riding 916's, 996's, 900SS's,etc. All with tents and sleeping bags bungee'd to the back, bug splattered windshields,etc. They were so loyal to those bikes they were willing to deal with all it's shortcomings as an everyday driver.

Sure there's a lot of posers. But when I throw on the bags and take a journey, I usually run into at least one Ducati among all the BMW's and 'Wingers, along with many a Japanese sportbike, so it's unfair to say "all hardcore sportbikes are toys for posers." I know the type you're talking about though.. I'm stuck behind them every damn Sunday. They're worse than cars because they REFUSE to pull aside and let you pass. Oh well, that's the breaks I guess...