Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-10-2001, 07:22 AM   #61
djo
Founding Member

Default Re: 13k is just too expensive...!!!!!!

you get what you pay for.
djo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2001, 07:23 AM   #62
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster S4 Reader Feedback

I've got to chime in here. I just bought a 2000 900 Supersport a couple months ago. I put on my break in miles like a good boy, had my service, and then proceeded to run 6,666 miles in 12 days from the midwest, to seattle, down the coast to L.A., and back. The bike didn't give me a single problem, other than some bad luck with a flat tire in Vegas (I decided I shouldn't gamble that day). Just a comment on the quality and reliability of Ducati.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:27 AM   #63
djo
Founding Member

I have own two ducatis (1998 and 2001), one of which is a street bike and the other a race bike. Despite tons of abuse to the race bike, i have never, ever, ever had a single problem with either of them. the reputation of unreliability dates back to the previous owners of the company (pre 1997) who ran it like a hobby shop. i have owned harleys, hondas, and yamahas, and the ducati has been better than all of them.
djo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:01 AM   #64
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Re: If seriously looking...

I'm going on an out-of-state trip this weekend with 2 other Triumph riders. Between us we have nearly 90,000mi on our triples without any "reliability" problems. That should tell you something.

Be concerned only if it's a totally brand-new bike the 1st year out. Triumph does correct any bugs, but they've proven to their own embarassment not every one gets fixed before the first specimen they release for scrutiny by the trade rags. I'd rather not be a test pilot for them unless they're paying me

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Speed Triple though, fwiw. Tom Cruise already did the test pilot stuff.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:29 AM   #65
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Too bad you feel that way because you may miss out on something you'd really enjoy. While I can't myself say a Ducati would be first choice for sole transportation my job depended on, you're making a gross overstatement when you suggest *any* motorcycle must be from Japan or Germany to be worth buying. To suggest "Italian" bikes have a lot of down time is also inaccurate. That would include Moto Guzzi, and their bikes are not only pretty but pretty reliable from what I hear --never mind that it may be largely for the same reason a Kenworth is.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:38 AM   #66
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: If seriously looking...

I have a 2000 Trophy and a 2000 Speed Triple. Both were bought used, with very low miles. I have more miles on the Trophy than on the Speed Triple (just got the Triple), but both have been very reliable. The Triumph newsgroups, where owners talk about even the bad stuff, seem to consistently show great reliability; though there's always a lemon in every batch.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:40 AM   #67
tbuse
Founding Member

Why would the X1 be on it's last year? Buell hasn't said they were going to discontinue the 1200 based bikes.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:50 AM   #68
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Insurance

Try AllState, I'm getting a pretty decent deal here in Southern California
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:59 AM   #69
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default H-D & Ducks

Don't you think it's pretty unfair to compare the two marques in terms of reliability? Remember that Ducati has got more superbike championships under its belt than it can hold where the VRs where breaking down on every race. Food for thought.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 09:02 AM   #70
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Some Ducatis have good luck with reliability, some BMWs have bad luck. You ended up with a good bike. However, it is a statistical fact that, overall, Ducatis require more service than their Japanese counterparts. If there were 100 people like you with 900SS's and there were 100 people with VTR1000's, and all rode their bikes equally for ten years, then the Ducati population _would_ have more visits to the shop than the Honda population. That's all I'm saying.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote