Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-09-2001, 02:54 PM   #51
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster S4 Reader Feedback

The X1 Buell is on it's last year better to test a XB9R. The USA will never see a 900 Hornet
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2001, 03:18 PM   #52
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Perhaps they noticed they can't read the name on the tank when they're riding the bike?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 03:25 PM   #53
GAPS
Registered Member

bwilder, I have spent time with both the Monster (my 63 year old fathers 97 M900) and the Cyclone (my brothers 2000 M2). I maintain both of these bikes and can say without any doubt the Monster is by far the least troublesome of the two. In fact with 10K miles the Monster has had no unscheduled maintainance. The Buell on the other hand has had more problems than I can remember including a exhaust that sheds brackets, oil leaks from various places, 3 or 4 recalls, etc.... I prefer the Monster on the road as well with its smoother, wider spread of power. I like its handling over the Buell too. In the Buells defense it is fun when all is working right and for the owner who likes to tinker I think the bike would be rewarding. If you want something different but dont want to be messing with it, well, just get the Duck, trust me!
GAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 07:02 PM   #54
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: about blowing by squids....

True, but my insurance agent runs by CC's only. 750 is WAY cheaper than 1200. State Farm, by the way. 22 years old, perfect record, and I still pay around $750 a year for this thing in Illinois. Kills me how these punks can get away with this.

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 07:05 PM   #55
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Superhawk fuel

You'll have to use about 2 of those 7 g's to have an engineer find somewhere to put an extra fuel tank on it so you can go somewhere though. =)

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:07 PM   #56
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Superhawk fuel

Hey, I thought we were talking about street-fighters, not practical motorcycles! If practicality is on your list of criteria, scrap anything with "ducati" or "desmo" on it and pick up a ZR-7 or ST1100 =)
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:38 PM   #57
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: about ugly ZRX

It's because of guys like you that I got my 01' ZRX for $7300 out the door! It has great performance but like you, when I first saw it I thought that it was one of the ugliest bikes out there, that's why I had my heart set on a bandit 1200. You should (if you have not) see the bike in person. There are a lot of little trick components on this bike like fuly adjustable suspension and that awsome swingarm. The zrx also flat out beats the bandit except for wind pertection. By the way, I just turned 30 years old this summer, so while I am no spring chicken, I certainly did not buy this bike to reminiss on the race days of Eddie Lawson because I don't remember them! Happy riding, whatever your scoot' is.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 05:15 AM   #58
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

How many riders do you see taking a long trip on a Honda if it's a pure sportbike? (The S4 Monster is the same chassis as some of Duc's full-tilt sportbikes but thinkly disguised in "naked streetfighter" clothing.) Even Ducati's "sport tourer" model isn't comfortable like say an ST1100 or Concours or Sprint ST.

All hardcore sportbikes are toys for posers unless you take it to the track or live next door to Deals Gap. If you want to ride, get a real motorcycle such as a standard, sport-standard or sport-tourer; even a few cruisers these days can be nice bikes for the log haul without getting too terribly boring. But sportbikes are a fashion accessory for most people who own them, just as much as the "chrome monument" customized cruisers are. The typical Ducati rider is the person who wears mountain climbing clothes from Galyan's but takes the elevator instead of 2 flights of stairs, and drives a Land Rover with brush guards and a winch that has never been on a gravel road let alone dirt.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 05:42 AM   #59
lazy1
Founding Member

i can't help but compare ducatis to harley-davidosons.

lovely sculpture to stare at in the garage but unreliable old-tech bikes. experience has taught me this (sad) fact: if it has wheels and a motor, you're better off buying japanese or german. if the price of ducatis was adjusted to some kind of available-to-ride ratio, they'd only cost as much as a honda rebel....oh those italian bikes are gorgeous there is no doubt about it, but keeping one running down the road is an exercise in futility.
lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 07:18 AM   #60
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: about ugly ZRX

I own a 01 ZRX1200-R and I am also not of the "Eddie Lawson" era. My motivation buying the bike was not to re-live the past aka "retro" but I could afford only one bike and that bike has to do everything from weekend runs to cruising in the city. I believe the "Z-Rex" does that superbly. You have to remember, this isn't an 80's era motorcycle. If you want that, go buy a Buell! The Z-Rex engine, suspension and brakes fit right in with anything out there today and the looks ( I have the lime green - comes in black if you wish) is a work of art. Having owned many Honda's in my day, I would consider the fit and finish of the Z-Rex

comparable. So go out and try one of these bikes. I bet it will put a smile on your face.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote