Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-09-2001, 08:20 AM   #31
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster S4 Reader Feedback

I just checked out the Honda X-11. What a cool bike! I can't imagine why Honda isn't bringing it in to duke it out with the Yamaha FZ1 and the Kawasaki ZXR-1200.

Actually, it looks like British customers get lots of cool bikes not offered in the US. Maybe Honda is trying to do something nice for British riders, to compensate them for that terrible English cooking.
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2001, 08:53 AM   #32
littlepoison
Founding Member

Hey whatabout the Honda Hornet 900
littlepoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:04 AM   #33
Rafi
Registered Member

Default Re: about ugly ZRX

Unfortunately, the ZRX is mostly only cool to those who remember the old '80's superbikes. Otherwise, it's a heavy, ugly bike by today's standards. I'd much rather have a Monster.
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:08 AM   #34
bwilder
Founding Member

More good success storied on the Cyclone please!!!

I went down to the local Ducati dealer at lunch and the monster doesn't "do it" for me in the looks department. Sounds awesome with aftermarket pipes though!

Why do these manufacturers screw us like this. I also saw a Yamaha bike called the bulldog in a magazine that is the reliability answer to all these naked bikes. Guess what? Not coming to the states....
bwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:15 AM   #35
slimy_one
Founding Member

A few months ago bought a new '01 M2L, MSRP $8995, for $7995. Better than sex (well, okay, not too far off anyway). Everything I want out of a *real-world* sportbike (as opposed to one you can't really tap the potential of except on a track) including truckloads of torque right where you need it and handling that borders on the magical once you tweak it a little. Plus a sane riding position and all that torque that make it a very decent commuter. And to top all off (this is not why I buy a bike, but it's nice): the sound of it with a V&H slip-on will make any cruiser out there weep.

Had one little timing glitch when I first got it, that the dealer fixed real fast. Other than that no significant problems. Maintenance is easy and cheap (which from what I've heard is, how shall we say, not necessarily an accurate description of Ducatis). The reason maintenance is easy and cheap is that a Cyclone has mostly a Harley XL drivetrain, of course, just souped up to the 91 hp that Sportster buyers would love to buy off the rack but the Motor Co. won't do it for obvious reasons).
slimy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:20 AM   #36
Rafi
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati Monster S4 not based on 888

The article mentions the S4 as being based on the 888 frame, but that only includes the previous Monsters. Isn't the S4 derived from the ST touring bike frame?
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:41 AM   #37
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Good point.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:11 AM   #38
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: about ugly ZRX

To each his own.. but like someone on this site once said (something to the effect of)

"In 10 years, you'll look at today's GSX-R (or pick another sport-bike) and go 'BLECH!' while the ZRX will still look pretty doggone nice... it won't date itself anymore than it has out of the box." Something to be said for simplicity.

Your tastes don't run that way, no biggie... but the bike isn't 'ugly' and it's not much heavier than the rest of the 'standards' out there. It'll

still run high 10's w/all that weight!

It's an invalid comparison to compare it to a 600cc sport-bike, or even an open-classer... apples and oranges.

Like I said, to each his own.. I like 'em all personally (or most of 'em.. there are a few I can't stand either!).

You can't tell me that anything old or old-styled is automatically uncool either... if that were the case, then I'd fully expect you to refuse the keys to a pristine '63 split-window 'vette (or substitute whatever classic sports-car suits you)..

How many pairs of bell-bottoms or their new-fangled counter-parts those 'big-ass baggy pants' (bell-bottoms for the 90's, 00's believe it) do you own? Bells are coming back.. so are hip-huggers and mini-skits (H E L L yeah!! ) for the women-folk... if you subscribe to THAT old-school stuff, why not the ZRX?... food for thought??

I appreciate the choices that are finally out there.. I stayed out of the bike market for a long time b/c EVERYTHING looked the same... then I went and bought an old-school ('84) sport-bike anyway... such is life!

Peace out! (or whatever the kids are saying now... some recycled version of a previous generation's salutation!)

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 10:46 AM   #39
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default The Bulldog doesn't put out enough HP

In its current configuration the Bulldog has a substantial lack of hp when compared to the other bikes mentioned here... not suitable for the US where "bigger is better".

I see no reason why more power can't be extracted from that powerplant, though. Maybe next year.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 10:47 AM   #40
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default That is correct

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote