Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-31-2001, 11:13 AM   #31
highside
Founding Member

Default Re: MPG

A 4 stage transmission is in order, I'm sure it gets better milage in town, and isn't really designed for the highway, but if I behave myself I can get 48mpg on my FZ1, I average 45 mpg even with city riding. For the money I'd be on a Ninja 500 or a host of used 500-750 cc bikes like the Katana 600, SV650, ZR7, I guess the target market is people with money who don't like to shift.
highside is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2001, 11:22 AM   #32
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda Reflex reader Feedback

I ride bikes all the time and own two. I love to tour the mountains on them and have a blast. However she as sits on the back is sick of it. However she had trouble with a bike. (Too large and too much to do) Thus the scooter.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 11:28 AM   #33
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Re: you cant be serious

DUHHHHH
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 12:46 PM   #34
Andy
Founding Member

Actually, Honda already makes a 600cc V-twin scooter, but they only sell it in Japan, I think. It's called the Silver Wing 600. See

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/gds/mai/images/nicebikes/

and click on SilverWing600.jpg for a picture.

Andy

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 01:39 PM   #35
ngall
Founding Member

How about a test of one of those little sportbikes like a Derbi or a small Aprilia? Are there any other small bikes like this other than the EX250? Are they even legal in the US (California in particular)? It'd be nice to have something for in-town that's scooter-ish (really light, good gas mileage, relatively inexpensive, etc.), but I don't really dig the step through design of scooters. Just a thought.

ngall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 01:40 PM   #36
RVF600
Founding Member

Default Re: shifting

When you factor in fuel consumption, performance, weight, and price of the reflex, it leaves one to wonder why any educated buyer would be willing to make such clear compromises just to forego the hassle of shifting. Are there any advantages to this scooter besides no shifting? Am I missing something? Why doesn't Honda put their semi-automatic (re: trailbikes Z50, CT70) transmission in this scooter? With no clutch, it is easy to shift--you could even stop in 2nd or 3rd gear without fear of stalling. It would even retain some semblance of performance.
RVF600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 03:53 PM   #37
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default People who buy scooters eventually buy motorcycles

I hear you SquidThis. I started with a honda 50 in college, moved up to a Yamaha Riva 180 scooter (so I could give rides to girls) and then moved onto full size bikes. I am hardly alone in doing so. Scooters and other "little" bikes (Honda Mini-trails, etc) are the stepping stones to the larger world of motorcycling. Scooter riders are shunned by big-bike pilots as if they are no-talent schmoes, but I can honestly say my little Yamaha 180 humbled more than one wannabe sportbike rider in the hills. Those little tires turn fast! Scooters may have a high "geek" quotient, but if motorcycling ever hopes to truly become a mainstream activity, then getting people on board innocous little scooters is definitley the best way to get the bug in their heads for something bigger. The next time someone tells you how dangerous your motocycle is, ask them if they've ever ridden a scooter. I'll bet they have. It's a different psychology altogether, butone that can be easily made to see the light of motorcycling.

Great Old Bikes
Old 07-31-2001, 03:55 PM   #38
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Scooter riders usually end up on Big Bikes

I started with a Honda 50 in college, moved up to a Yamaha Riva 180 scooter (so I could give rides to girls) and then moved onto full size bikes. I am hardly alone in doing so. Scooters and other "little" bikes (Honda Mini-trails, etc) are the stepping stones to the larger world of motorcycling. Scooter riders are shunned by big-bike pilots as if they are no-talent schmoes, but I can honestly say my little Yamaha 180 humbled more than one wannabe sportbike rider in the hills. Those little tires turn fast! Scooters may have a high "geek" quotient, but if motorcycling ever hopes to truly become a mainstream activity, then getting people on board innocous little scooters is definitley the best way to get the bug in their heads for something bigger. The next time someone tells you how dangerous your motocycle is, ask them if they've ever ridden a scooter. I'll bet they have. It's a different psychology altogether, but one that can be easily made to see the light of motorcycling.

Great Old Bikes
Old 07-31-2001, 04:30 PM   #39
AstonMartin
Founding Member

I dunno what's with you guys...Scooters are great. I've always had one, fact of the matter is, I still have one, a Yami Zuma. I keep using them since I was a kid. Scootering is a totally different experience, everybody should try them at least once. Here in New York people love'em...at the dealer I'm working at, we sold them all in no time. If I would have money to spend I would buy a new scooter right away...probably an Italjet Dragster 180. Cool. ( Ps. I guess it's an "ego" thing here...I'm a secured man, so I don't care what others think, when I'm having fun pulling wheelies on my scooter...with my gorgeous girlfriend on the back...))
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 06:07 PM   #40
trontech
Founding Member

Default Re: hey you never know...

anythings possible...Did you ever imagined superbike specs on the 600's?
trontech is offline   Reply With Quote