Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-16-2001, 08:59 AM   #81
BlainetheMono
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

Finally and opportunity to buy an AMERICAN bike that can get out of its own way and doesnt belong to the 1% crowd. The 1 thing I HATE about Japanese bikes is parts availability after 5 to 7 years. Japan changes their designs more times than a hooker changes her panties. Its impossible to develop brand loyalty to a Japanese bike company anymore. 1 from column A, one from column b...So Solly...We no make parts for your bike anymore. At least in my book anyway. At least Harley maintains a consistancy to design not found in the "ricers". Of course the Gold wing engine has become a legacy engine for Honda, but little else from Japan has......6 years from now who will care that the Fireblade even existed, that it will last 50,000 miles or you can even get parts for it, let alone afford to rebuild it.......
BlainetheMono is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2001, 09:04 AM   #82
lazy1
Founding Member

God help the Buell owner whose warranty has expired.

Erik Buell would do well to spend his efforts on build

quality instead of the latest killer app.

lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:16 AM   #83
BlainetheMono
Founding Member

Your probably wrong. Theres NOTHING in the hips or arms that says that the rider is a female.......
BlainetheMono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:21 AM   #84
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default It strikes me as odd.....

that you say that "at a rational street pace, even a slightly better rider can walk away from the GSXR"....... It stands to reason, that at a "rational street pace", nobody will be walking away from anybody. Guys (or girls, for that matter) who ride at "rational street paces" aren't racing and blowing by others who are riding at the same "rational street pace".

If you're ever in Minnesota, I'd love to challenge you to a couple laps in OPUS, a local industrial park/makeshift roadcacing course (not sactioned by the police, of course.) It's more than tight enough that you might beat me on my R1, but not without a fight!!!
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:22 AM   #85
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Tell us more about the motor. Is it a short-stroke Sportster, or is it really and truly "all new?"
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:24 AM   #86
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Like the other song says...

"Don't whiz on the electric fence..."
Old 07-16-2001, 09:26 AM   #87
Badwinger
Founding Member

Default Re: Safety hazard?

As the SM at a Harley-Davidson dealership, I can second these comments: the Blast just doesn't seem to need repair at anywhere near the rate of other Buell's or HD's. We've sold a couple hundred Blasts, and in the past year have repaired one rocker box leak and one tappet block leak. That's it. (There was the rear pulley recall for 2000 MY bikes, but that wasn't engine related.)
Badwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:28 AM   #88
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Just one little thing.....

If you're referring to the much-ballyhooed (and now debunked) NBC report that claimed to show how the gas tanks in Chevy trucks would explode in a side impact, keep in mind that the producer of that show later admitted that they rigged the gastanks to explode in their taped "demonstrations."
Old 07-16-2001, 10:22 AM   #89
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

I guess you didn't test ride one and listened to somebody who assumed it *must* be that way due to having an XL engine (Sportsters do vibrate badly over ~65mph). If you did try a Buell, it must have been a once-around-the-block demo ride.

Buellboy is not lying. The 1203cc Buells have NO vibration problem at any highway speed this side of "go-directly-to-jail." At idle they do shake and shudder a bit, but once up to speed on the highway it magically smooths out and the mirrors are clear --even when you roll it on to pass and (before you even have time think about it) see the needle flirting with triple digits. They have a vibration-absorbing motor mount system that works even *better* than the one on TC88's everybody thinks is so wonderful.

I don't know about the XB9R though. Maybe it does have enough fuel capacity for it's intended purpose. Doesn't look like a bike that's intended to be ridden for long distances without stopping to me.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 10:23 AM   #90
Daniel_Gerous
Founding Member

Default Re: must disagree here.

I don't think that a gas tank in the frame of a bike is any more likely to rupture in an accident than a conventional gas tank.

Harley engines don't carry the oil in the bottom of the crankcase: They are dry-sump. The oil is kept in a tank under the seat. So it does allow you to eliminate an oil tank.
Daniel_Gerous is offline   Reply With Quote