Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-15-2001, 11:58 AM   #61
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: YES and drinking is a human activity too...

I usually don't drink alcohol but if it's from the Isle of Islay, something like Lagavulin, I might. But in general I avoid alcohol because at present, alcohols main purpose is to escape reality (which I find unnecessary). The minor heart health benefits obtainable from alcohol can be had in other more pleasant ways (like swimming).

Swimming, is not about the water, it is about the swimming itself, that is obvious. Snorkeling/diving is not about the water it is about what's in the water, it's about three dimensional freedom of motion. Character from the water (say cloudiness) is not an advantage, the water is best when it doesn't seem to be present. The bike is like water in that it provides the ability for you to ride as water allows you to move. Character from the bike is just a distraction from the riding (which like snorkeling, involves sight seeing).

Anyone who has seen dolphin in action knows that dolphin revel in swimming to at least as great an extent as any human. It is obvious that dolphin are playful (they play with humans) and most research indicates that dolphin and other species are not simple minded at all. My analogy holds.

No right thinking animal would be content with an electric sex partner. Quoting Frank Zappa, "I'll ignore your cheap aroma, And your little-bo-peep diploma, I'll just put you in a coma, With some dirty love". In many ways, riding a motorcycle is like having sex. As Dr. Ruth (and experience) will tell you, good sex is mental and has nothing to do with the anatomical particulars of the partcipants.
granny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2001, 12:01 PM   #62
Gabe
Registered Member

Default On a twisty road,

All things being equal, the lighter bike with the easier to manage powerband will probably be faster. The GSXR1000 makes more power, but you can't really use all of it except in certain situations.

Here is excactly what you said:

"The only way you will ever pass a GSXR1000 on a Buell is if the Gixxer is sitting in a showroom and you ride by."

My ass! What an ignorant statement! I pass all kinds of "superbikes" on my SV650, and I will maintain my position: even a slightly better rider can walk away from the GSXR at any kind of rational street pace, or even at the racetrack if it is a technical course like Sears Point. If you want to wick the GSXR1000 up to 140+, go ahead. I won't be following you. But if you keep the speeds down below 90, it doesn't matter what EITHER rider is on- it's all about rider skill, and who is perfectly matched?

Oh I know. new riders who buy into the whole glossy moto-mag mythology that an expensive consumer product makes the rider. Everyone starts at the same skill level.

So, if two beginner riders were placed on a Buell and GSXR respectively, I guess the GSXR guy would be faster.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 12:08 PM   #63
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Maybe THIS bike should be the Blast!

Seriously, how often have you seen a crash where the motorcycle's frame has been torn apart? I've never seen it, and I've seen plenty of crashes, street and track.

If the crash is THAT bad, well, you're gonna be glad the bike burned up, 'cuz that's the least of your worries...

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 12:26 PM   #64
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: OF COURSE we want sensory appeal from water!

In another post I said

"Swimming, is not about the water, it is about the swimming itself, that is obvious. Snorkeling/diving is not about the water it is about what's in the water, it's about three dimensional freedom of motion. Character from the water (say cloudiness) is not an advantage, the water is best when it doesn't seem to be present. [salt and chlorine make the water feel very present] The bike is like water in that it provides the ability for you to ride as water allows you to move. Character from the bike is just a distraction from the riding (which like snorkeling, involves sight seeing)."

What makes the spring, lake or sea better than the pool is not the water it is the surroundings. Don't confuse the water with the reef or the bike with the road. It's swimming the reef and riding the road - being in the environment that is the point. Heck, if I could bicycle or run as fast and tirelessly as I ride, I'd chuck the motorcycle in a heartbeat. The motorcycle is a necessary evil.

All of this from someone who rides a 916, the ultimate in motorcycle soul, character, charisma, blah, blah, blah. After 15K miles, all that character gets wearisome. Gimme a CBR600.

granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 12:55 PM   #65
v-core
Founding Member

Default Re: I pass them all the time...

Actually, the TL motor was considered by Buell at one point. Let's just give the newbie a chance.
v-core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 01:11 PM   #66
LoPhatHam
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

I've had a lot of experience with Buells—I've put on close to 35,000 miles on three different Buells—and most of that experience has not been good. But every single Buell I've ridden has been loaded with potential. When you become intimate with the bikes, you discover many brilliant touches. Unfortunately, reliability is always an issue.

The fan cooling on the new XB9R should help improve reliability quite a bit, especially on bikes that are ridden as hard as your average Japanese sportbike. Once Buell works out the bugs (and you can bet your mother's purse that there will be bugs with both the first year V-Rod and the first [and probably second] year XB9R), this new Buell could be the bike that the 1999 Ducati 900SS should have been.

I probably have more experience riding Buells than anyone not directly employed by the factory, and probably have more reason to be cynical about the XB9R than anyone, but I find it very, very exciting. If the new bike fulfills its potential, at last Erik Buell's reach will not exceed his grasp.
LoPhatHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 02:31 PM   #67
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default IF good motorcycling is mental like good sex...

then that would explain why it takes a wide variety of motorcycles of hugely varying "character" (or lack thereof) to satisfy all motorcyclists.

Thanks for confirming what I said in the previous message. It would seem only certain *humans* like artificial sex, or sterile appliance motorcycles that have the soul of a Casio calculator. I guess you're one of them. Such bikes just don't cut it for some people though because they *want* more sensory feedback from a machine, maybe even one that isn't perfect. The bored commuter who gets home and gets out of his Lexus and onto his Norton Commando is like the pilot who spends many hours a week on a 737 and then hops into the open of a Stearman biplane for some "real" flying. Character and soul. That's what its ALL about for some people. Nothing wrong with it that I can see.

Keep in mind the first 5 of the 10 rules for choosing a motorcycle are "get what YOU like!"
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 06:09 PM   #68
unpaved313
Founding Member

BuellBoy,

I've gotta differ with your interpretation of what the new XB9R motor is... Take even a cursory look and you'll see that the engine, with the exception of being a pushrod v-twin, is almost totally different from a standard Sportster motor. The cases and drives are more compact, and the engine is built using current design principles instead of the thought that was current all those years ago when the Sporty motor was originally designed. And if you think that Buell isn't going to use the Revolution motor, you've got another thought coming. Buell is still a small company, and they still move in small steps. In 99 they introduced the X1, in 2000 came the Blast, last year was re-evaluating how they build motorcycles, and now this year the XB9R. Next year, watch for an SC12R using the Revolution engine in an S3 replacement...
Old 07-15-2001, 07:22 PM   #69
Knightrider
Founding Member

I like it, a lot! But I am a bit of a nostalgia nut and will forgive a lot for the sound and feel of a big twin in any configeration.

A couple of times I have almost bought Buells, but got scared off by the reliability issues, or reported lack of it. However, I think that there are a lot of guys like me that would love something like this if it is dependable for a one bike garage.

Eric Buell has always had a differant way of looking at things, I am sure glad he did not disappoint with this latest offering,- my bet is that it will sell well and launch Harley in a more aggressive direction when it comes to sport bikes. At least I hope so!
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 01:07 AM   #70
Motorbike-fan
Founding Member

Default Re: On a twisty road,

But the bike which is slower would be easier to learn and go fast on first because the limits of the slower bike are much lower. No beginner is going to be able to push a GSX-R1000 to its limits.
Motorbike-fan is offline   Reply With Quote