Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-14-2001, 04:45 AM   #21
farfeldinger
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

Doesn't hold enough gasoline. What's up with that? Maybe it shakes so much that you won't need more than 3 something gallons before you want to get off. I almost bought a Buell but couldn't cope with blurred eyeballs. Settled for a Superhawk, which also doesn't carry enough fuel.
farfeldinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2001, 04:54 AM   #22
Det
Founding Member

It's truly the first Legacy-free Buell! Yipee! There's a lot of great engineering going on here, from the new engine's downdraft setup to the trick looking light wheels. The fuel in the frame, oil in the swingarm setup, really speaks volumes about how much thought went into keeping the bike light and the cost within reason.

In reality, this is a competitor for the Ducati Monster and with the power their claiming, it sits between the 2V and 4V monsters for about as much money as the 2V. Made in America to boot, that's pretty difficult to beat. They're not going to attract many squids by the spec sheets, but kids should be prepared to be harassed by these things.

Given how the firebolt intrudes on the specs of the existing lineup, I expect to see a VRod engined Buell around the corner.
Det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 07:52 AM   #23
ngall
Founding Member

Default Re: I pass them all the time...

Hell, I've dusted off several CBR600F3's on my 1978 Suzi GS750 in the twisties. That just shouldn't happen, but it does. Lots of poseurs out there for sure. Still... I'd prefer a sportbike without a HD motor. How 'bout swapping it out for a TL1000 engine or maybe RC51? Now that'd be cool.
ngall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 08:33 AM   #24
ngall
Founding Member

Personally, I like riding more than wrenching. The R6 has a gem of a motor. You don't HAVE to 'hop it up'. It's very compact, light, and can take a beating. And that 15000 rpm redline is beautiful. It seems like it should blow up, but it just won't. Besides, you don't need much torque with all that rpm available. Just gear it low and let it rev. What's wrong with carbs and a chain anyways? There's probably a reason why they don't typically use belts in racing. And carbs are probably easier to tinker with by a shade tree mechanic. Oh, and I have serious doubts about using the swingarm as an oil reservoir. There are many possiblities for things to go wrong going through my mind right now. Maybe they have it all figured out, I don't know. It'll be interesting to see.
ngall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 09:04 AM   #25
tknelson
Registered Member

Default must disagree here.

It really does look like a nice bike, and I agree that the design speaks volumes about something, but I think more about stubborn desire to be "different" than any elegance or form-follows-function ethic. The gas-in-frame is asking for trouble and the oil in swingarm is just weird. Ever heard of unsprung mass? You want the swingarm to be as light as possible (you want all of the mass to contribute to rigidity). Put another way: what's the point of "trick looking light wheels" if you are going to fill the swingarm with 15-20 lbs. of oil?!???!? Great engineering?? No.
tknelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 09:26 AM   #26
unpaved313
Founding Member

What's wrong with carbs and a chain anyways? Well, let's see... If you are serious about your mods, you'd better be damn good at tuning to get the most out of your carburetion. Special tools (at the very least, a set of carb stix) are required, plus the hassles of finding different needles to make it "just right". And if you can't get it done yourself, a good carb guy (or woman) at a dealership is never cheap. I've found it much easier to just head into the Buell dealer and get a racing update in my computer. The dealer only charged me 1/2 hour labor the last time and it was free before that!

As for chains, oh, come on!!! Be serious. Do you really enjoy having to lube it after every rain ride? (It rains here in New England a LOT!) How about the noise they make? And they aren't cheap to replace if you're going to buy a quality o-ring chain. And if you happen to go with a nice aluminum sprocket to go with that new chain, make certain that you don't go out early enough in the season that some of the road grime gets up on the chain and eats that $75 sprocket! I ruined a 39-tooth Fast By Ferracci rear sprocket on the first ride this season because 200 miles of the 500 mile trip were in the rain, kicking up all the slop left on the roads. (It was in late April, but was the first rain after winter.) Finally, let's not even talk about the hassle that comes with trying to keep the rear wheel and sprocket clean...

And you're right-there is a reason why they don't typically use belts in racing: It's too difficult to make slightly different sized sprockets to suit them. So you pretty much are stuck with what's stock or compatible. Which isn't usually a problem for street use.

As for the oil in the swingarm trick, as well as the fuel in the frame trick... well, I share your skepticism. I really hope that they have this figured out. A no-recall Buell would set a nice trend, and it would prove that all the work Buell has done to improve quality was a success.

And as for 15,000 rpm... It was fun when I was younger, but now it's not as funny when my hands go to sleep during a 500 mile ride. I'll take low-rpm torque over the high-rpm horsepower for street use any day.

I think you summed it up well... it WILL be interesting to see.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:30 AM   #27
tknelson
Registered Member

Default Re: must disagree here.

ooops...meant to say 5-6 lbs. of oil. Still....
tknelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 09:42 AM   #28
Det
Founding Member

Default Re: must disagree here.

This feels like flame-bait, but I'm going to respond anyway...

Triumph used to use the frame for oil. Why not? It's otherwise wasted space. Erik's always preached centralized mass, because it works. By not having to build a separate gas tank and oil tank, Buell is able to eliminate that weight and bring all of that mass to the center of the bike.

15-20lbs - How much Oil are you planning to put in your swingarm? What's the point of the wheels? Lightweight wheels generate less gyroscopic effect making for quick turning, so they do have a purpose even if your putting a case of oil in your swingarm That said, in the operation of the swingarm, your biggest concern is the weight that's away from the pivot (Think of a lever).

Det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 10:03 AM   #29
TheFox
Founding Member

Enlarge the picture of this bike by clicking on it. Then you tell me, after looking at this person's hips, waist, and arms, that this test rider isn't a girl. Very cool of HD.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 12:04 PM   #30
Azrifel
Founding Member

More torque then you'll ever e able to handle.

Horsepower is nothing without torque.

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote