Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-13-2001, 06:43 PM   #11
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Like the song says...

(Bop, bop) Jack, you dead.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2001, 06:58 PM   #12
DrDeath
Founding Member

Default Re: Some of us need all that power to ride fast, I guess...

Man, what are you on? The only way you will ever pass a GSXR1000 on a Buell is if the Gixxer is sitting in a showroom and you ride by. And that probably won't happen, almost all the GSXR1000 were sold before they hit the floor.I can't use 140 HP, but I can use good suspension, good design, and kick-ass brakes well you better get an R1 or a GSXR cause you sure won't get it with the Buell!

DrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #13
Gabe
Founding Member

Default I pass them all the time...

On my SV650, which pumps out amybe 68hp on a good day- and Buell uses very high-spec stuff in their suspension and brakes, instead of mass-producing down to the masses. Suzuki stock shocks are all loose and crappy after 3-6k miles, for instance. Rubber brake lines, crappy OEM tires, etc.

What kind of pathetic, straight-line riding universe do you inhabit, where you can tell how fast somebody is by what they ride?

If you don't believe me, go here:

http://www.afmracing.org/SP0601.html

Notice some of the open production racers go slower than some of the 250 production racers. Why is that? There is a 100hp difference between bikes! How can this be?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 10:02 PM   #14
wheat
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

Welp, I for one think it's one of the nicest looking bikes I've seen in a long time.

Not my kind of machine with the ultra quick steering, tiny size, etc., but they sure did get the styling down if you ask me.

Now, when do we see a bigger machine with perhaps the Revolution engine?

That's when I show up for a test ride.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 10:07 PM   #15
wheat
Founding Member

Here's another vote for the Duke. What a cool looking machine. I see on rides near my house on a regular basis.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 10:23 PM   #16
FieryErmine
Founding Member

I'm surprised anyone likes the looks. I think it's ugly, fugly even.

A R6 is pretty much better in every way and costs $2000 less.

No accounting for taste, though. I wish Buell the best of luck.

FE
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 03:55 AM   #17
BuellBoy
Founding Member

Default Re: I pass them all the time...

So do I. It's almost funny the looks on these squids faces not only when I blow by them on the twisties with my Buell, but when I dust them on my K1200LT it's hilarious!! When they eventually catch up to me at a rest area stop, they want to know what I've done to the bike to make it so fast. They refuse to believe that I leave my bikes 100% stock except for the suspensions (and I haven't touched the Buell's suspension at all). When will these guys realize you can go a LOT faster on ANY bike if you simply LEARN HOW TO RIDE. Any idiot can buy a fast motorcycle in a straight line, that doesn't take any skill at all. But maintaining that speed on a twisty road? That's an entirely DIFFERENT story. One of which you seem most familiar!
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 04:17 AM   #18
muskysecretsquirrel
Founding Member

A R6 is clearly not better in every way. The Firebolt has hydraulic valves, fuel injection, and a final belt drive. It probably weighs about 15-20 pounds (wet wieght) less. It has a shorter seat height for the vertically challenged. Ah, let's see it probably puts out about 60 ft.lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Don't try to tell me the R6 is a real torquemeister (45 ft/lbs@11,000 rpm). I bet that hopping-it-up (to old a term for you, I'm guessing) is going to be fun and something a backyard wrench can accomplish in a few days. Try messing around with anything but an exhaust or re-jetting on an R6 and I'll bet the vast majority of owners will be in way over their heads. For $2000 more you get ease of non-chain maintenance, no valve adjustments (although 26,600 miles for one is exceptional), and no carb fiddling, plus the added bonus of exclusivity (without paying $16,000 for a Duck). This bike has alot going for it.
muskysecretsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 05:06 AM   #19
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default Neither weird NOR lacking in some respects...

Nothing too lacking about 85lb of torque at less than 5K rpm for an $8K street price (specs for the current M2, not this new bike). And for sensory appeal there's nothing lacking about having all that torque in engine that needs only a V&H slip-on to sound more Harley than a Harley at half the price.

But then of course it is lacking in some other areas, quite a few of them to be sure, that you consider important. So it's wrong for you. I've found Asian sportbikes to be sterile soul-less appliances with no sensory appeal whatsoever at anything resembling legal speeds, whose potential can't be tapped on the street in the absence of a suicidal psychosis, and are thus terribly boring. What a Buell offers *is* very usable for the most part, and is even extremely enjoyable to *some* riders. It is neither weird nor lacking, just different. "Different in every sense" is how they put it in their propaganda. Pretty accurate for an advertising slogan these days.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 05:10 AM   #20
eljefe
Founding Member

Can it be? The giant airbox is gone? About freakin time, that was the most detracive visual feature on the old bike. And 385lbs dry? From a HD? no way. The musta but helium in the tires. And all you babies who whine about the horsepower, isn't Ducati a little down on horses too? Plus, there isn't a Harley made that you cant soup up. Nice to seel old eric finally come through.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote