Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-18-2001, 05:26 AM   #111
Stever
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

I also have a M2, and am getting about 50 MPG, even after rejetting. It was an excellent value when I bought it, is easy to maintain, and is still enjoyable a year later.
Stever is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2001, 06:36 AM   #112
intruderman
Founding Member

I test rode a cyclone and a lightning at the honda hoot last month. That #$%!@ vibration under 3,000 rpm is intolerable and inexcusable. And the worst shifting action I've ever felt. No thanks.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 06:56 AM   #113
BuellBoy
Founding Member

XL transmissions are EXTREMELY stiff when new. They break in very nicely over time, and I never miss a shift anymore. When new it was IMPOSSIBLE to put into neutral; now it slips right in no problems.

As for the vibration below 3,000 rpm, I'm reminded of the old joke:

Q: Doctor, it hurts when I do this!

A: Well STOP doing that!!

Point of fact though, even below 3,000 rpm it STILL pulls like a runaway freight train when most other sport bikes would be bogging down BIG time...
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 07:03 AM   #114
BuellBoy
Founding Member

Please reread the articles on the Blast. That is NOT an all-new motor... it's one half of an XL1200 engine that's been destroked. It WAS the first oversquare engine Harley ever produced, but a brand new design? Hardly!

BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 02:18 PM   #115
muskysecretsquirrel
Founding Member

Default Re: must disagree here.

I have some thoughts for you to consider. Not lecturing you and not trying to get your ire up. (I too have an advanced degree and I've studied a little bit of physics in my lifetime.) I'm thinking thermodynamics here. If the oil is stored in a container sperate from the heat source then it stands to reason that it's point of equilibrium will be less than that of the heat source. This is a good thing, in fact, this is a very, very good thing. I've done some studying of oil, and I have some affiliation with AMSOIL, so I know a little about the destructive nature of heat. Of course this is all dependent upon the oil circulating and passing through the non-heat source. OIl stored in a crankcase is subject to the thermal emission from all of the reciprocating mass, and this is a bad thing, a very, very bad thing. So from a non-classical mechanics point of view this technical approach makes a great deal of theoretical sense. And BTW I don't believe that 5.6 lbs of unsprung mass is going to make much of a difference.
muskysecretsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 04:44 AM   #116
chrisrm
Founding Member

Just a thought, but one of the problems with having oil in a frame of any sort tends to be heat. Hot oil near grease packed bearings does have a tendency to cause problems, as I think some old Yamaha XTs found when their headrace bearings de-greased. That oil tank on the Firebolt looks close to the swing arm bearings; perhaps not good for longevity,

Chris M
chrisrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 07:21 AM   #117
flboy63
Founding Member

I sure would like to see this bike. I still own a 2000 X1. It is GREAT in town and the curves. The long straight ons is where the fellow riders always whip me! 142mph is top end on that beast! I went out and bought a 2001 Kawasaki ZX9R for the straight line shots! So now I have a loud bar hopper and a Ducati slayer! The best of both worlds!
flboy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 07:23 AM   #118
flboy63
Founding Member

Who needs a warranty if you know how to work on your own bike?
flboy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 08:19 PM   #119
JBL
Founding Member

Hi all,

I never had any doubts that the larger 'inside out' rim mounted disc on the new Buell would be sufficient, however it's good to get everyone's feedback on this topic. I only put it on the original post to attract comments, hence mention of the word 'optional'.

You're right... There's no need to add the 2nd disc for when it would only:

1. Slow the steering (gyroscopic factor)

2. Restrict access to inflating the tyres

3. Provide TOO MUCH braking performance (could be deadly in the wet) which isn't such a good thing for street use.

Overall, I truly think the XB9R will provide a lot of grin factor for its owners. Some bike these days are just too refined for some of us, whereas the XB9R mixes old & new technology.

Bottom line: The XB9R is another reason to own a motorcycle, if you are not enticed by other choices.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 06:59 AM   #120
muskysecretsquirrel
Founding Member

I appreciate your input, but from my previous knowledge of testing and evaluation, and thorough study of vehicle thermal emissions, I believe that convection cooling will take care of that issue. For this heat source to be a direct degradation, to the longevity and hence the durability, requires that the energy be transfered onto the object with little to no means of reducing the thermal effect. If the greased packed bearings were exposed to the transfer of the thermal energy and then to undergo suppression to restrict the transfer of the energy, then over a relatively short time period this would be a very, very bad thing. The mean time between failure mode would increase dramatically.
muskysecretsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote