Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-17-2001, 05:40 AM   #101
SVSMT
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah! MO, we want answers!

I too own an SV650S, and this bike really interests me. I hope the build quality is up to par. I will buy one if it is finished well! The previous Buells had a "made in someones basement" look. This one looks a cut above. In direct response to the above comments about a VR powered sport bike. The engine is too big, heavy, complex and expensive for this. The SV650 and the new Buell are light, cheap and simple-unlike the last 5 big bore Japanese sport bikes I have owned (VTR1000, VFR750, CBR1000, VFR700, CB900F) I have more fun on the SV! The Buell looks like more of the SV formula. Suzuki should build an SV750S, with slightly upgraded suspension to go up against the Buell. The Buell would be the choice, any way, because it is built in the USA and is truely different. Be carefull of the answers you look for, because they might not be what you truely want.
SVSMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2001, 07:33 AM   #102
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

Dangerously Sensitive? huh? Dual front disks = Dangerously Sensitive? OK Fred Flinstone.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:59 AM   #103
quickerNu
Registered Member

it is all new. It is a blast motor with 2 cylinders and better, more performance oriented parts.
quickerNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 09:03 AM   #104
quickerNu
Registered Member

The warranty on my 1998 white lighning is expired. It is my only transportation and has been more trouble free than my old f2 ever was! Other than replacing the crack prone stock exhaust with an aftermarket unit, mine is fine. If you do your routine maintainance, it is a trouble free bike.
quickerNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:20 AM   #105
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default I think what he means is...

the brakes on current V-twin Buells are *plenty* powerful already (SO surprisingly strong and sensitive they can scare the hell out of somebody not used to them, and they put many dual-disc setups to shame in fade-resistance too). Now that technology has progressed dual discs should go the way of biplanes. Useless redundant mass they are, only there because the target customers *expect* them on a "high performance" motorcycle. Buell is an outfit willing to say the emperor has no clothes and build bikes accordingly. Incredible *and* refreshing from a company owned by H-D of all things!
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:27 AM   #106
ACE1100rider
Founding Member

Okay Sean...Please read the MO review of the 1995 Buell Thunderbolt S2. They added a 2nd disc and ended up taking it off because it slowed steering and was too sensitive. My Cyclone has the best brakes of any bike I have ever ridden.
ACE1100rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 01:05 PM   #107
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Safety hazard?

Both of those were urban legends. In fact, GM successfully sued Dateline NBC because when they were trying to do an "expose" on the Chevy trucks, they weren't able to cause the explosion with side impacts... so they rigged it with an incendiary device and aired the show. They got caught, and GM sued the crap out of them.
Old 07-17-2001, 06:46 PM   #108
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah! MO, we want answers!

Hmmmm, what makes you think it has a better frame? have you seen actual numbers, or are you just assuming? Just because it is diffrent, that does not mean it is better. I think, pricewise, the buell should be competing against the monster900 and TL100s, anyways.

Besides, for the $4,000 difference between the firebolt and the SV, you could change exhaust for 600$, get a jetkit for 200$, get a new rear shock for 800$ (ohlins, baby) and get the front forks revalved by racetech and get new springs for around 400$. I guess the extra $2000 could go into a big bore kit or some Marchesini rims or some better brakes.

Just so you can sleep better at night
Old 07-17-2001, 08:30 PM   #109
schillhog
Founding Member

As is spelling, apparently.
schillhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 02:52 AM   #110
unpaved313
Founding Member

Lazy 1-In case you were in a cave or something, the media has covered how Buell rolled their production WAY back last year to concentrate on build quality. And my Buells have been no more troublesome than my Yamahas, and Honda, and MUCH less trouble than that damn Ducati of mine.