Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-16-2001, 09:43 AM   #91
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default An exception....

For the most part, I agree with Granny's posts. However, this thread is different. Individuals enjoy riding for different reasons. Some like the sights, some the speed, some the girl on the back, some the sound and feel of the motorcycle. You are trying to argue which of the above is "Best". Its an illogical arguement, because motorcycles are ridden by individuals.

Just for S*its and Giggles, here is my contribution.... Surfing is about the water itself (the road), the board (the bike) and the speed, sounds and power of nature. To say that a surfboard that was "transparent" (although an actual see-through board would be fun to surf on, in really clear water) would be the best, is to miss the point of having different shapes / sizes / fin combinations.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2001, 10:15 AM   #92
Azrifel
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah! MO, we want answers!

Its got a better frame, better suspension, better build quality and a load more torque then your SV while it doesn't lose out on flickability but will probably even outhandle your SV in every aspect. That should make your life better.1

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 10:39 AM   #93
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Well,

I'm not sure that's a good venue for roadracing- I like AirBales, turnworkers and ambulances when I push it. Plus, it's a course you're familiar with.

But we'll see- maybe I'll take you up on that. Conversely, if you ever ride out here, maybe we can schedule a trackday together at Sears Point or Thunderhill.

check out the laptimes here: http://www.afmracing.org/SP0601.html

Notice the Open Superbike and Production times are similar to the 600 and Formula II (two-stroke 250) times.

The fastest times at Sears are on 250 GP bikes and 750 Superbikes. Even expert, national-level roadracers on Formula Extreme bikes can't best the 250 and 750's.

Seems like the extra power offered by open-class bikes is useful only for straight-line dragracing and ego-stroking.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 10:44 AM   #94
john
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

Buellboy, correct me if i am wrong, but i think this motor is freestanding from the Evo 1200 motor. My thinking stems from a recollection that the blast motor is a ground up design, not Evo based. Then i read that this new motor is the Blast motor redesigned into a V twin. Therefore...it is a seperate motor. But, once again, i could be wrong

Old 07-16-2001, 10:53 AM   #95
BuellBoy
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Buell XB9R Firebolt

The Blast! engine is one-half of an XL1200 engine that's been destroked. That made it the FIRST oversquare engine in Harley's history, but it's still based on the XL1200 engine, not a "from the ground up" design. That's why I get a kick out of everyone calling the XB9R engine a "Double-Blast." The Blast is half an XL, so doubling it just makes it an XL...
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 05:38 PM   #96
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Re: Just one little thing.....

I was under the impression that though they did that for the camera there were actual cases of that happening...true or not shall we discuss the Ford Pinto???? that is/was entirely true that car is a rolling coffin.

On a serious and slightly differant note...from the rumor mill Buell supposedly did a lot of R&D on the frame at/with a safety/crash damage firm in Ga. someplace. A lot of Buellers heard this as long as a year ago.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 05:45 PM   #97
Gabe
Founding Member

Default But!

The shock has no linkage and the swingarm will be heavy(ish) if it's full of oil- I don't think it will have the smooth, compliant action my Fox-equipped SV has.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 05:53 PM   #98
Gecko
Founding Member

Default Ugly muffler makes a good anchor

the muffler is designed to help the bike pass the EPA Noise Specs nothing more. They know that everone and their brother changes the pipe as soon as they buy it. The bike will drop at least 10lbs when you do it too

Colors will increase, anything that the present X1 or Blast have will likely be included over time (same material...red, yellow, grape, black )

Buells Brakes are exceptional and that one will likely outbrake anything on the road.

Buells have never been like other bikes. 160mph is not what you buy a Buell for. Great handling is. A Buell is just a differant bike for a a differant purpose.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:31 PM   #99
DrDeath
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe THIS bike should be the Blast!

Actually, I think the fuel would be safer in the frame than a tank. I have seen no frames torn apart, but a few cracked which would let the fuel leak out. If I remember that was a problem with the oil in the frame thing with Triumph, of course it was a steel frame, if that would make a difference??? Pretty slick thinking on Eric's part....only thing it is about 25 years late to be new.
DrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 11:03 PM   #100
Azrifel
Founding Member

Default Re: I pass them all the time...

Buy a Bakker Barracuda.

A TL1000 in a Nico Bakker frame. Nico Bakker is a recognized frame builder who build GP race frames and still provides GP frame solutions today as well as advising European and Japanese manufacturers.

The Barracuda is one cool motha and eats 996's and alike for breakfast.

Azrifel is offline   Reply With Quote