Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-13-2001, 10:45 AM   #81
VR1000racer
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

What an interesting day. Harley-Davidson introduces a water cooled, 4 valve, 60 degree fuel injected V-twin, and an all new short stroke air-cooled 988cc 45 degree, two valve v-twin.

One is in the ALL NEW Buell Street Fighter, with the biggest twin beam alluminium frame I've ever seen, and the other is in acruiser bike.

Guess which engine is in which bike?

And it's Friday the 13th!

By the way, I hope that the V-Rod is a refined VR1000 engine. I happen to have a lot of experience on them!

I will be bending over and paying the "Vasoline tax" for both the new V-Rod and the new Streetfighter.

See both at www.2wf.com

(sorry Brent!)

(VR1000 racer and owner)
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2001, 10:48 AM   #82
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default Get a life already...

Get a life already... and while we're at it should all ice cream be vanilla?
Old 07-13-2001, 10:52 AM   #83
Don_Crafts
Registered Member

Default Re: New Valkyrie

Yawn....

Wake me the day the Japanese design something with any sex appeal or style. Something people drool over. Something that looks brilliant standing still. Something people cherish.

Wake me when a 6 cylinder looks, sounds or feels half as amazing as a twin.

Wake me when I can put real forward controls on your stripped down Gold Wing.

Don_Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:04 AM   #84
draz
Founding Member

Default Official Harley Press Releases

Intereting how none of the official releases even mentions the word "Porsche." Here is what they say:

"The aptly named Revolution™ engine combines a host of technical traits including liquid-cooling, 60-degree geometry and dual overhead cams with

dramatic jewel-like styling that one could only expect from Harley-Davidson."

and

"Inspired by the VR 1000 Superbike race program and developed by Harley-Davidson's Powertrain Engineering team, the Revolution..."

and

"This all-American custom was inspired by Harley-Davidson's drag racing heritage and the VR 1000 Superbike race engine. It's really a stunning styling and engineering accomplishment."

The lenghts they must spin the story not to scare off many of their core customers who thinks anything that is not from the Heartland is sacrilegious, pagan and without soul. They should have gotten design assistance from the 'Vette engine team over at Chevy and they could have touted that it is super-duper American... but then it might have resembled The Boss Hoss or whatever that stupid V-8 bike is called!!!!

draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:15 AM   #85
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I think H-D has taken a step in the right direction. I've said for quite a while that when H-D made a motorcycle I was interested in riding, and could live with as an every day (only) ride, I'd start thinking about buying a Harley. They're almost there...

Things I like about the new V-Rod:

The motor.

The looks (mostly)

It handles (for a cruiser)

The instrument cluster

Things I don't like:

The weight.

The "parachute" riding position

The chrome thingys on the sides of the radiator

The price.

Overall, I think H-D has hit one out of the park... and I can't wait to see what they come up with next. Hopefully it'll be an all new Buell powered by this engine.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:21 AM   #86
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Oh, and BTW Minime,

I too think you were totally right to wait and honor your agreement, not letting other's dishonesty sway you into releasing this too soon. Kudos.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:33 AM   #87
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default They got out from under AMF in last 30 yrs...

and that was a pretty big something. In fact, it ended all the legitimate gripes that just about sent the bar & shield to the same graveyard as so many other legendary marques. Their detractors today are just the people who don't care for the *type* of bikes they build or else are jealous because they can't afford one. No business is obliged to try to please everybody, only to make products that can sell and market them so they do, resulting in both stockholders and employees being happy. H-D does exactly that and you can't argue with success --but some just gotta try anyway.
LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:46 AM   #88
LimeSqueezr
Founding Member

Default It won't, but lots of people wouldn't care if it did.

LimeSqueezr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:47 AM   #89
ttcaml
Founding Member

Excellent article, it was worth the wait. Could we see a big "power cruiser" shoot-out? The V-Rod, V92SC, VTX, Mean Streak ect. These bikes seem to be the hot thing right now, but which one is the best?

The new Harley looks like a winner. It should appeal to people like me who enjoy going fast, but do not want to work up a sweat doing it. It also looks great, unlike my current bike (or any sportbike). I guess this means that I should stop laughing at jokes about slow Harleys, and start watching for a V-Rod in my mirrors.

How long untill you guys test wheelie the new Buell? It looks like a pretty fun bike.

Enjoy The Ride.

Caml
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:47 AM   #90
Jase
Founding Member

Interesting. HD seems to be listening to the consumer. Whether the Harley faithful will like this bike or not who knows and who cares. There'll always be yuppie posers buying Harleys anyway. I think it's unreal: this would be the last bike maker I would've guessed would be making the bikes that we really want. Both the new Buell and this bike so far look kick-@ss.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote