Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-12-2003, 12:38 PM   #321
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Speaking of Ignorant Opinions...

"The Germans had NO intention of invading Britan during WWII. "

First of all, it's "Britain". Second, I guess you think that Hitler's bombing of Britain was his way of getting them to help him fight Stalin.

You insult Tom Jefferson's name with this ignorant, misguided attempt at intellectualism.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2003, 12:51 PM   #322
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

"If you'll look, Harley was using VR long before Yamaha started naming things V whatever"

No, they weren't. The V-max existed long before the VR1000. Look it up.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:01 PM   #323
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"What cruiser on the market can out-perform the V-Rod? None! "

WRONG! The V-Rod, if you do any research, is not the number one performer in any category by any stretch of the imagination. The V-max is considerably faster, the Road Star Warrior handles much better (the V-max even handles better), the V-Max has more top speed, any of the big cc twins will smoke it in a 50-80mph roll-on, and all of the other bikes in the class are less expensive. What does the V-rod do best in the performance cruiser category?

Answer... nothing!

Old 03-26-2003, 02:38 AM   #324
955i1340
Founding Member

Look again Vmax is struck in 1985.
955i1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:22 AM   #325
955i1340
Founding Member

Default Re: New Valkyrie

First one to 100 wins.
955i1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:58 PM   #326
jsimpson
Founding Member

You didn't have a chance to appreciate the liitle bike if you never got above 70. I dropped back from the group in Daytona and had it over a hundred in a sweeping turn around the airport with my wife on the back. The bike is sweet. It feels like a 911S with only two wheels!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:05 PM   #327
jsimpson
Founding Member

Default Re: don't BUY

When (and IF) you're an old-timer, you'll understand....
Old 05-11-2003, 03:50 AM   #328
jagalvin
Registered Member

Yep, congrats to harley on a fine machine. Welcome to 1985... ughhh... almost.
jagalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 05:50 AM   #329
babailey
Founding Member

Sure you could buy a jap bike cheaper but what do you get? A plastic clone of every other jap bike that looks like it was just popped out of the same injection mold. Then the next year when yamahondasaki publishes the new specs and they're making 3 more HP and the bike weighes 3 ounces less you have to run out and buy a new one and take a $3000 loss on your outdated model.

You guys are all crying about price, look at cost of ownership. Harley is the only bike you can sell for more than you paid for it. If you had bought a piece of crap AMF Harley in 1976, crashed it in 1986, and left it for dead in the back yard for 17 years, you could still sell it for $4000 (like I did).

Arguing about what's better, Harley or "the other bike" is like comparing a 1956 chevy to a nissan maxima. Sure the maxima handles better, has more ponies, is more reliable, but if I have to explain why the chevy is cooler than...well we might as well argue religion or politics. The harley has the "hot rod" feel. It's easy for anyone to make is faster, look better, sound better, etc. It's fun and easy to work on and aftermarket parts are plentiful.

I have a friend that had a dyno he drags around to swap meets. I asked him if he dynos a lot of jap bikes and he said he doesn't like to. It's too hard to make a jap bike better. Sure you can move the power curves around with pipes and jet kits, but it's lots of money for little gain. Christ, this guy is charging people $100 to drill holes in their air harley cleaner and making a few more ponies. It's that easy.

If you looking for reliable transportation, buy a honda civic. If your looking to go 202 mph head first into a jersey barrier buy a hayabusa. If your looking for a fun hobby with a low cost of ownership, buy a harley. There's an ass for every seat.

Next time you go to a hot rod show ask the guy with 1967 Corvette why he does just buy a maxima and I'm sure you'll get an earfull.

I bought my 2002 FLHT Standard for $14,500 I could have bought a 2002 Goldwing for $17,699. The NADA book on my bike is $15,025 the Goldwing is $15,250. My FLHT gained $500. The goldwing lost $2000+. I could easily sell my bike for more than $15000! How is the jap bike cheaper?
babailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:38 PM   #330
itsings
Founding Member

Default Re: Amen Brother

yea but there true...
itsings is offline   Reply With Quote