Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-19-2002, 04:54 PM   #311
Bryan8252
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

Very funny post; I laughed for 10 minutes, I think. I am among the people who are always trying to figure out the motivation of anyone that buys or actually rides a Harley. I think I have concluded that they must have had sand kicked in their faces and their girlfriend stolen at the beach when they were younger. How else to explain their rediculous persona, and as you say, the death traps they ride. Oh well--ain't it fun?

Bryan

Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2002, 10:42 AM   #312
Matt_Pressley
Founding Member

Here's the thing, I think the bike looks cool, and from what I've read it performs very well. BUT, there's nothing about it that would make me go out and spend $20,000 on it when I can get a Kaw or a Honda or a Yamaha for A LOT cheaper without much loss in performance or especially comfort. I just don't see the value. That's been my biggest problem with Harleys all along. Its not their design, or their reliability, or their performance - its the price. I can get just as much (if not more) features on an Import bike for less money. I'm sure if I was rich, I'd own a Harley. I just don't have the money to burn so I can tell people "It's a Harley."
Matt_Pressley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:47 AM   #313
jeffreyc
Registered Member

Although I am impressed with the power, handling and overall finish of this bike (Based on all the information), It is really ugly.

It is great to see that Harley is delving into new territory with engine design, but that frame, tank and exhaust look like a Ness reject.

Of course, I don't care what other people want to buy.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:46 AM   #314
harleydavidson
Founding Member

I think the V-Rod was long overdue, and I congratulate HD for their effort! It's only 10 hp down on a VMX12, with half the cylinders and less displacement. It's about as long as a Deuce, and made in the USA. I've actually seen the bike selling new for under $19,000, in stock, on the floor. I agree that the V-Rod is the best, most-powerful production V-Twin cruiser today. The Kawasaki should be named "Weak Streak"; In fact, it only makes about the same amount of horsepower a stock twin-cam 88 makes. If the "Weak Streak" is considered a musclebike, then shouldn't ALL of the TC-88-powered cruisers be as well? A Fatboy makes similar hp numbers compared with the 'Streak! The VTX reminds me of a mechanical Sumo wrestler; strong, but incredibly obese. The V-Rod makes 20 more horsepower and weighs 138 lbs less! And no plastic headlight shell! Or ugly tank seam! The Warrior looks nice, but I think it is second-place to the V-Rod. The VMX12 is cool, but old, and nowadays is more of a standard than a cruiser. At least it's cheap. The Valkyrie is a stripped full-dresser, not really a cruiser, and doesn't have the enough cajones, considering it's heft, to be considered a musclebike. The Boss-Hoss definitely makes the most power, but at 1100 to 1300 pounds and $30,000 to $40,000 or more, is more of an exotic one-off machine, not a production bike. It has an engine that powers Blue Bird schoolbuses, for goodness sake! It's a kit bike for the wealthy or wannabe wealthy. Ever seen what they sell for once they're used? $30,000 new, $16,000 two years and 5000 miles later. The undisputed musclebike king IS the Harley-Davidson V-Rod!!!!! Long live the King!!!!!!!
harleydavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 03:45 PM   #315
rideandfly
Founding Member

I've owned a number of Japanese bikes, Harleys and BMWs. There's no question that the amount of technology you get for your money is best spent on a Japanese bike. The true cost of ownership is actually the lowest for a Harley. Just look at the selling prices of any comparable bike when it's over 5 years old and the Harley will be worth at least double of the nearest other brand (probably BMW). My 1994 FLHTCU was $16500 when I bought it in Aug. 1994, book value today is $14500. My 1995 BMW R1100GSA was $15000 when I bought it in 1995 and it's now worth $7800. A 1994 Gold Wing SE sold for about the same as my FLHTCU and my guess is it's probably worth about 1/2 of my Harley, today. So, to say you can get an import bike for less money is true, but if you ever sell it (and I've sold almost all the motorcycles I've ever owned, except for the ones I have now), the Harley is going to be the cheapest bike to own. I'm a motorcyclist that chooses to ride a Harley, not a Harley rider.
rideandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 05:35 PM   #316
trooper10
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

Most of us buy bikes to ride, not to see what we can sell them for in a few years. Until Harley understands this and makes a decent sport or even a decent touring bike, I'll continue to be a metric bike owner.

As far as the value goes, the bikes are only worth what we're willing to pay. Harley won't be able to ride the nostalgia wave forever. Sooner or later all the look-at-me-too Harley people are going to move on to the next fad.
trooper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 12:10 PM   #317
jeffreyc
Registered Member

Whew-hew!! I got rated a freaken TWO!

I think I am qualified to be senior editor at Cycle World)
Old 09-12-2002, 04:25 AM   #318
jsimpson
Founding Member

V-Max is a great bike, arguably the best performance bargain on the market. I would welcome, and maybe even buy, an updated V-Max. But to knock the V-rod in a vain attempt to make yourself feel good about owning your V-Max is pathetic. Can't you enjoy your bike without ragging on other people's choices?
Old 02-12-2003, 12:26 PM   #319
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: v-max

After riding both back to back, there is definitely no comparison- the V-max handles FAR better than the VRod, and is faster, too.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #320
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmm..

No, that's not why they don't use belts. There is no power limitation on belts if there is no limitation on belt size. Someone up above mentioned the Boss Hoss has a belt, but also forgot to mention that it is 3 or 4 inches wide. That simply wouldn't work on a normal sized bike.