Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-09-2001, 09:08 AM   #291
David_2001
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

41000 miles huh? How could you have gotten 41000 miles on a bike at 30 mph? Your probably part of one of those black leather clad rolling roadblocks that annoys me to no end. Honestly, why do you guys have to ride all the good roads at 20-30 mph. You guys might as well get out on the highway and go in a straight line. Anyway, I if you think I can't ride, (or suk as you put it) you can come to track day at louden or pocono any time! I'll spank you like a redheaded step-child. I also have 7700 miles on my 2000 GSXR which I picked up last august. And as far as harley-davidson goes, like I said, I just want them to make a bike to compete with japanese sportbikes. It's some of the jerks who ride them that really bother me! Thanks for your input.
David_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2001, 09:53 AM   #292
Philbiker
Founding Member

Isn't that Vulcan FI a nice bike? I'll bet it doesn't even have pressed seams aroungd the gas tank either. Mmmm. live is good in K country.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 09:56 AM   #293
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default "bringing in a car company to help develop a motorcycle"

Dood. Honda Suzuki and BMW all make cars and motorcycles and they don't have anybody saying "I told you so". Hell Kawasaki makes friggin' ships planes and oil tankers. What the heck does any of that have to do with the m/c?
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 08:35 PM   #294
veetwin
Founding Member

Let's give Harley credit where credit is due. Many import bikes have copied the v-twin cruiser because it is in demand by the buyers of America. Harley has a tremendous following and great resale and probably the best support system for aftermarket parts. All good to have.

Harley does NOT have a corner on the market with a high revving v-twin, and this is not really a cruiser. I'd say from all I see and have read of both bikes (V-rod and V Max) that Harley has finally decided to join them instead of fight them.

Not to sound cruel but it's about time they have come over to the water cooled world of reliable high horsepower bikes. I hope this is the trend to replace all the old motors currently in production.

The VTX is a bloated bike that is an excercise in excess, just like all the S & S motors for the Harley's. It'd be nice to see Harley take this high performance, water cooled Sportster (it's what it really is) and price it correctly in the $10,000 range and build to demand. But then they couldn't keep up their bad reputation. I hope others realize that Harley is not a leader this time, but a follower.

I Am going to buy a bike in the near future and was considering a Harley (do not like air cooled) or a Vulcan. Both are way too big for the power, but I hate sport bikes (Buell or otherwise). I think instead I'll find a used V Max and customize it. Then I can have power, performance, reliability AND good looks for about a third of what Harley wants.
veetwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 06:27 AM   #295
vrod4me2
Founding Member

Default Screamin

I'm trying to put together a list of accessories that I want with my v-rod (my dealer will give me a 10% discount if I order them before my bike is delivered) and was curious about the "Screamin' Eagle" slip-ons they offer in the HD catalog. They don't list the actual performance increase, so I called HD. The guy I talked to (a man on the style team) read from the manual that they (with the ecm re-mapping) increase the torque / HP at the REAR WHEEL from mid 70s to 102 / 108!!! Wholly s*#t! What does that translate to at the crank? My first thought for wanting the slip-ons is the claim for a "deeper rumble", but another 45-50% torque and HP at the wheel is huge!

I also read in this months Cycle World (Sorry MO, I read paper too!) about a stroker kit, available from HD, that brought a Dyna up to over 100 HP, with the present short stroke of the Revolution, I wonder if they'll come out with a similar upgrade for it. Where do you go then? The salt flats!!!

I AM PUMPED!!!!!!!!

vrod4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 07:54 AM   #296
vrod4me2
Founding Member

Default Re: Screamin

Ok... I may as well call myself a dumbass before someone else does! So much for performance info from the style team! After my post I thought that the numbers couldn't be right (how do you lose 40 hp from the crank to the wheel!). I called back and talked to an engineer this time. The torque per their dyno tests (adjusted) goes from 72 to 74 and the HP (adjusted) goes from 102 to 108. So much for the salt flats! So now again I have to decide if I want to spend $650 for a little more rumble! probably not...
vrod4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 12:21 AM   #297
aliashw
Founding Member

Default Re: WAY WAY WAY OVER PRICED $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You got that right. If Harley wants to become another run of the mill throw away plastic jap bike maker then they are going to have to be priced like the usual throw away. Its going to attract the kids raised on plastic, but it sure isnt going to have the base of followers who love their bikes, love the bike lifestyle, love the adventure. The only good thing is at least they will still be making bkes that last a life-time for those who want something besides instant gratification and throw it in the trash when some new interest happens along. I wonder if its going to have that irritating sound of japanese junk too.
aliashw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 03:46 AM   #298
daniel1
Founding Member

Thanks but no thanks HD. I'll stick to my aircooled EVO with straight pipes, blue jeans & T-shirt, no helmet. I don't need an HD that's trying to look like a JAP bike!
daniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 05:12 AM   #299
jck22903
Founding Member

Default Thanks for the straight pipes, idiot!

Regarding your straight pipes: You sure aren't doing your fellow motorcyclists any favor. Pull your head out of your ass and take a look at the faces of the folks around you at the next red light.

There are a number of places I have visited where I wasn't allowed to ride my motorcycle (inside the gates, etc.), as quiet as it was. Generally it was because the folks who lived there had had enough of loud-piped like yourself, and decided to do what they could about the "problem" -- of which I now consider you a part of.

Regarding your criticism of the V-Rod's looks: I don't think that you are the target audience of the new bike. Fortunately for you, they will continue to manufacture motorcycles -- with seriously outdated technology -- for the jingoistic, chest-beating masses, of which you are obviously a member.

I for one am glad to see Harley making use of German, French, and Japanese technology (yes!) on their new bike. Maybe it'll remove some of that false "American-Built" cachet (i.e. Thai-made "Genuine Harley" pot-metal accessories).

--jck22903
jck22903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 04:14 AM   #300
hogmonster
Founding Member

Hmmmm...a little confused aren't you.

I currently own 8 bikes, 5 Harleys, anywhere from a 1935 VL Flathead, to a 99 Ultra, Ducati Monster, Honda dirt bike..etc. I have probably owned 60 different bikes bikes through the years, raced AMA, and owned quite a few exotics. I just happen to prefer Harleys now...

V-max---V4 with lots of power in a frame that ain't worth a damn and is pretty much butt ugly......Yup you can buy them pretty cheap.

Did you take a look at where the controls are on the V-Rod (ps..I rode one and have one on order). You don't put forward controls on a sport bike...now do you? This is a sport tourer, more towards tourer. Style is different...AAANNNNDDD it will retain some value in years to come. A Jap cruiser in 5 years ain't worth crap....A crotch rocket, even less. You seem to be confusing cost with value.

Why not get a BMW K1200rs....fast, comfortable, run forever,,,not Jap.....retains value.

Regarding HP....I owned a Harley "project" bike....dyno about 280 hp with gas (well..maybe some alcohol) and a little juice, and it was street legal (sort of). hmmm...how would a Vmax run against this...or a FZ.

What is the point on a nice calm Sunday afternoon? Ride what you got.

Hog

P.S. I always seemed to find that the fastest guy on the track was not always the one with the most HP, but the one with the most skill and balls.

hogmonster is offline   Reply With Quote