Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-02-2001, 12:51 PM   #281
mortybmyer
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

Hey Dave, they do build dependable bikes, like my 1997 FXSTC with 41,000 miles and only a broken clutch cable (made in Japan) at 30,000 miles. And they aren't worried at all at the factory. They can't build those pieces of crap fast enough! With H-D you pay the premium up front and get it back when you sell it. At the very least they hold their value. Oh, I hope you don't buy an H-D. They have enough assholes putting 500 miles are year on them! Be honest, they don't suck as bad as you. The dependability problems went away after the AMF days. In fact they went from a 50% rework rate at the final inspection station with AMF to a 97% pass rate with the current company. This information was presented in a statistical class I took at a hi-tech company. Jeez I get tired of the stereotype that they leak, loose parts and all the other crap you read here. And the way some people try to measure them against a totally different type of bike and wonder why they don't stack up. Oh, one other thing, it's the dealers that are the real criminals. Who pays MSRP for anything, let alone 2,000 over. If the factory says MSRP is say 14,000. I think they should sell for 12,000-13,000. But I'm sure that's still a little over your swollen head.
mortybmyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2001, 01:04 PM   #282
mortybmyer
Founding Member

Default Re: WHY SO MUCH $$$$$$$$$$$

jmurhpy361, because most of the people (wannabe's) that buy them, put 500 miles a year on them, and then move on to the next thing they just gotta have. I bought my 1997 FXSTC on 02/04/98, from a Middle school principle who lived on a golf course. It had 1,500 miles on it. $1,500 worth of extra's and I paid $2,000 less than he bought it for six months earlier. I purchased two new Harley's from the dealer. In the early 80's for $1000 off the sticker price. Supply and demand and crooked dealers are why they are so high.
mortybmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 01:30 PM   #283
road_runner
Founding Member

Well, lets see for the guys who say HD built in America..that expression is now shot to hell.. Enuff of that. The bike looks good and so do the videos to want to buy one. I suppose I will wait until I can test drive one...not paying $17,000 for a bike and no test drive. I test drove the VTX and did not like...

Glad to see HD finally opening the views now lets see some touring changes...
road_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 10:54 PM   #284
ATurbo2
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmm..

I don't know anything about Harleys and don't really care to. The "V-ROD" is a THROback as far as I'm concerned, Honda had as good or better much technology in 1980 in the CX500 Turbo, many of those bikes are still running. I'd like to see how many V-RODS are still alive in 20 years.

The argument about chain/belt/shaft drive is ridiculous. Boss Hoss bikes with 350+ horsepower are driven by kevlar belts. Certainly someone can make a shaft drive that will stand up to the torque also. I'd like someone to tell me why a final drive chain couldn't also be engineered to work insofar as motorcyclists usually pay attention to maintenance?

It's about image and looks, and brand consistency, nothing else. The engineering is available to make any of these drive choices viable, the question is what will the people buy? Don't fool yourself that 70, 80, 100 or even 200 ft/lbs of torque is beyond the capacity of any of the three final drive types currently available. This is not engineering per se, it's market-driven engineering, folks, and is largely a question of what will fit where and how it will look.

ATurbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 11:04 PM   #285
ATurbo2
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmm..

>> We've been playing catch-up ever since WWII put such a hiatus on commercial developement.

I'm sorry, but this is probably the most ignorant statement I've ever read, anywhere, at any time, ever. So now you're going back to WWII to forgive Harley-Davidson for not adopting new technology?

What about the likely buyers of Harleys?
ATurbo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 04:51 PM   #286
gmacc
Founding Member

I like the looks of the V-Rod Unfortunately I think the consumer is getting V-Rodded in the behind. Harley is missing the mark; yeah they say 16K sug. retail but we all know that that will transform into 20k by the time the dealer parts with it. Not to mention, I haven't met a Harley Dealer yet who takes trades of anything but its own iron. This is why I went Roadstar this past October. 1. 13k srp. 2. 98ci 3. 2800 trade on a 12 year old 70k import, net cost 10,2. A long way from 20K. I looked at Flhtc's and Heritages before making my purchase decision. Seeing I put 30k a year in the saddle, I choose something I knew wouldn't give me problems with the heavy mileage and would save me from hanging out in showrooms of $400.00 leather jackets sold elsewhere for $200.00 once a month or so.

ThatÂ’s my opinion and IÂ’m sticking to it!
gmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 06:06 PM   #287
alsmustang
Founding Member

I have read and read about this new Harley and it keeps saying that the gas tank has been moved but where to? I do like the bike And cant wait to ride one.
alsmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 10:55 AM   #288
MikeSouza
Registered Member

I have read that the fuel tank is actually below the seat (lowering the center of gravity) and the pseudo tank that you see on top is really the airbox. There is a picture on the HD web site to back that up. Click Here to see it.

I am sort of curious where you put the fuel pump.

MikeSouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 12:43 PM   #289
seruzawa
The Toad

Hear hear. I don't ride a Harley now, but I've owned two. These clowns who make those old tired claims about Harleys being unreliable only prove themselves idiots by the simple fact of their stupid and false claim. Ever since AMF went away H-D cleaned up its act. Only a fool or a liar would say otherwise.

Too bad the bikes are still way overpriced. But that's what happens when you deal with a union company. Harleys would be much cheaper if they didn't have to have so many useless breadgobblers on the company payroll.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:58 AM   #290
bwilder
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

And the VTX will still be running like the day it rolled off the showroom floor with zero out of pocket in repairs.

How many Harley owners can say that? I'm sure there are some....however not many!
bwilder is offline   Reply With Quote