Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/744-harley-v-rod-reader-feedback.html)

zx6r-squid 07-28-2001 12:38 PM

Re: Welcome to Century 21!

True, it is better than anyone could have expected from HD; that's why Porsche designed the engine. Sad but true that HD can't get their act together.

bigdukesix 07-29-2001 04:11 PM

Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

Why are so many Jap sportbike riders comparing to the V-Rod anyway? Its not a sportbike. Its rediculous to even make the comparison, its like arguing that apples are better than oranges. I hate the dealer mark up also, but you bend over later when you sell the Jap cruiser anyway. And if Harley had gone bankrupt I wonder how many Jap cruisers there would be now? The only reason the Japs are making them is to profit from a market resurgence Harley created. If Harley could double their production and sell the bikes alot cheaper, how many buyers would buy the Jap cruiser over the Harley? The naysayers love to take a topic and exagerate the hell out of it, like Harley's leak oil (mine's never leaked a drop) bad breaking (my double front discs work great) slow (well they are not meant to be crotch rockets, but you can make them go fast, my sportster runs 11's). Let's face it, the Japs can try all they want but a copy is a copy and thats all it will ever be.

bigdukesix 07-29-2001 04:18 PM

The only bike it reminds me of sort of is that Hunwick Hallam Boss Powercruiser. And maybe that crossed with a Ducati Monster.

David_2001 07-30-2001 05:35 AM

Harley-davidson suks! Don't get me wrong,I want them to do better. When I get old I might like to buy a Buell (if they get more dependable). Why are they worried about building a performance bike when they still can't build a dependable bike? It's still not a sport bike. I want an American sportbike! Is that to much to ask? 140 mph - my gsxr is still pulling when the speedo is clicking past 185, and it's just a 750! And it handles, and it brakes, and so on, and so on...... Should we to be that impressed by water cooled v-twin. Ok then I'll take mine in a Honda RC-51 thank you!

seruzawa 07-30-2001 10:56 AM

Re: Hmm..

I have a very strong suspicion that the refusal of the Japanese manufacturers to use belts is actually because Harley has a patent and the japanese would be forced to pay royalties to Harley. The claims that belts can't handle the power are simply lies. It would also mean losing face to a company that the Japanese consider so inferior. They simply can't take the loss of face.

The Japanese have no qualms about stealing technology. Suzuki's monoshock design of the early 70's was stolen from an American inventor who attempted to market it to them. They simply out-spent him in court.

Very little new engine design has occurred since the thirties anyhow. While most of the technology has been improved, virtually everything we see to day in engine design (4-valve heads, OHC, etc. ) was designed in the twenties and thirties. We've been playing catch-up ever since WWII put such a hiatus on commercial developement.

Don't think that any of this technology is really new. It's just become affordable to produce.

seruzawa 07-30-2001 10:59 AM

Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

Look on the bright side. In 10 Years the Harley will still sell for over $10,000. The Honda VTX will go for about $1500.

That's the main reason the buy Harleys (or BMWs).

RidesaHDS 07-31-2001 06:01 AM

Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

No, I don't think I'm dreaming! We're talking V-Twin Cruisers here. Name 1 V-Twin Cruiser that puts up the numbers of the V-Rod and I'll concede that I may have been snoozing. The only bike even close is Honda's new VTX putting out 108 hp and it took them 1800cc's to do it... and it weighs over 750lbs. Let's compare apples to apples and stop comparing the V-Rod to all the crotch rockets out there. Harley owners have known for a long time that we can't compete with the sport bikes, however when it comes to "V-TWIN CRUISERS!", the market is owned by Harley-Davidson!!!

jmurphy361 07-31-2001 03:54 PM

WHY SO MUCH $$$$$$$$$$$

It looks good and sounds good but so do dozens of Jap bikes that cost half as much and have twice the technology. Hooray for Harley for entering and Era most bikes have been in for the past 5 years but again, WHY SO MUCH $$$$$$ If they are so difficult to get and hold there value so well why are every cities newspaper and trading posts full of Harley's for sale. Bottom line = WAY OVER PRICED !

jmurphy361 07-31-2001 03:59 PM

WAY WAY WAY OVER PRICED $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It looks good and sounds good but so do dozens of Jap bikes that cost half as much and have twice the technology. Hooray for Harley for entering and Era most bikes have been in for the past 5 years but again, WHY SO MUCH $$$$$$ If they are so difficult to get and hold there value so well why are every cities newspaper and trading posts full of Harley's for sale. Bottom line = WAY OVER PRICED !

Jerry-Rigged 08-02-2001 04:03 AM

Re:Over-Priced Junk? Maybe

Like my father used to say about Cadillacs, "Over-Priced Junk"! A Chevy with more chrome and gimmics. What will the V Rod prove to be? Only time will tell. But I can tell you this, I hate the looks of it. It looks like a Euro-cruiser, or in other words a BMW cruiser wana-be. I am not a big Harley fan, but at least their air-cooled bikes look nice. Shake on!