Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-18-2001, 11:30 AM   #221
mj
Founding Member

Default Re: New Valkyrie

Put me to SLEEP when I want to ride a motorcycle with FORWARD CONTROLS !

Put me to SLEEP when I buy a motorcycle based on how it looks parked in front of a tavern !

Put me to SLEEP when I buy a motorcycle with an antiquated motor because I like how it sounds !

I JUST DON'T GET IT !!!
mj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2001, 11:47 AM   #222
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

My BMW has had 2 warranty claims against it. One was a stiff throttle cable, and the other was a few staples coming out of the seat cover. Ive had it for only 9 weeks but already have 6k miles on it. BMW's tend to cover a hell of a lot more miles than the typical harley. So I would assume there would be more claims when you factor in mileage. Also most of the claims Ive read about BMW's are more for leaky fork seals than anything. Trailered Harleys are going to have a much harder time breaking down.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:15 PM   #223
oddlycalm
Founding Member

Default Remember the stillborn Harley watercooled engine?

Anyone remember the watercooled Harley engine (also via Porsche Design) that never happened many years ago? I happened to run into some of the prototypes of that engine doing some work with a machine tool builder in Japan that had been quoting on tooling the manufacturing for Harley.

This new engine struck me as having a very similar overall look, and to have a very similar head design, to the earlier one, although it was a V4 as I recall. Anyone suppose that is simply due to Porsche Design's approach having a similar look, or does it result from the work on the earlier engine being used again this time around?

Regardless of the pros and cons, it's nice to see Harley introduce V-Rod.

oddlycalm
oddlycalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 02:51 PM   #224
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod "Wet Head"

The Wet Head will do. Put a diaper on it when it leaks!

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 03:16 PM   #225
oddlycalm
Founding Member

Why not turn it around and look at it from the other direction? How many of us that can afford to drop $20K+ on a sled without worrying over it end up riding a V-Max or an FZR? Right, few/none. The buyer for this bike will be looking at Titans, and might look at a Ducati, or maybe a different Harley model, but isn't going to blink riding by the Yamaha store.

There's more to owning a satisfying ride that horespower or numbers. Seems to me that 9000Rpm is right in the ball park for V twins over a liter. The Ducati S4 revs to 8750Rpm's last time I looked, and Honda's RC-51 peaks at 9000Rpm also.

Sure your Japanese multi will out rev any liter+ twin (duh), but I saw Honda GP bikes race in the early 60's that were revving well past 15,000Rpm's, so it's not like high Rpm motorcyle engines are exactly news.

High revs and fast sportbikes are dime a dozen commodities in today's world. The V-Rod isn't. That's a big deal for the demographic Harley is aiming the bike at. My guess is that history will show that they pretty much nailed it.

oddlycalm
Old 07-18-2001, 03:38 PM   #226
oddlycalm
Founding Member

Default Re: It

Yes, Harley had Porsche Design develope a V4 design prior to the Japanese V4 releases. The heads at least look remarkably similar to the V-Rod's. I was quite surprised to come across the Harley V4 prototype on a visit to Mazak while in Japan in 1981. It was there because they were quoting on production machines and tooling for it.

As I was able to readily view this prototype while wandering around, I'd be stunned if the various Japanese motorcycle factories hadn't seen it also. Both Honda and Mazak are outside of Nagoya, and I always wondered if there was a connection between that and the flurry of V4's seen shortly afterward...

oc
Old 07-19-2001, 03:52 AM   #227
kj10347
Founding Member

Default Re: mr. Canadian hero (saved lives w/ your open pipes?)

You're absolutely right...I re-read what you had said and really couldn't find anything negative. I guess I shouldn't have said what I did. I guess the best way to explain it is personal preference. I thought the VTR was the best looking bike ever built. The I saw the Deuce and couldn't believe that Harley built a bike I could like. I think that we should all be really happy that motorcycling is in the state it's in right now. Never have there been more choices of high quality hardware.
kj10347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 03:52 AM   #228
shikarioth
Founding Member

Default Re: Remember the stillborn Harley watercooled engine?

Yeah! Old V-Max had probably stirred-up some ole boys at H-D, and they did right about dropping that. Now it's nice to see Harle-Davidson do something else than complain about restrictions and blah blah blah. It seems easy to criticize, as usual and, unfortunately, negative thinking always seems to feel a stronger urge to come out. What options would have been available to H-D, anyway? Think it over twice. To come up with the new engine now means they should have made-up their minds some time ago, have had a good appreciation of what their target and their options were, and build-up some sweat (at least 85% of the whole process). The package is nicely wrapped-up too since no one has yet found it to look like Wotzitaki Klang Bang or else. That it's costly is something else. But it's true for Mercedes Benz tanks too. The only reason why M-B sell overpriced cars is because of the need a large number of people have to show off in a car above their means, so they buy it used. M-B market stands on used car demand. At least, H-D does better.
shikarioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 04:20 AM   #229
kj10347
Founding Member

Check out the investor's page on the HD website and see what their production numbers are up to. However, with the economy poking along there'll be a lot less .rub riders having the $$$ to 'invest'. (I RIDE my Harley).
kj10347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 07:27 AM   #230
sedwardm
Founding Member

Yeah harley does it again....... it takes them 1100cc to put out the HP of a honda 600cc. Thumbs up harley.

Why do harley riders have beer bellies??? Because they sit around drinking beer all weekend trying to figure out what's wrong with the !*#@ thing now.
sedwardm is offline   Reply With Quote