Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-17-2001, 07:52 AM   #201
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: It

Does this mean I can finally get some good sporting tyres for my 86 gSXR11????
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2001, 07:53 AM   #202
TCAir
Founding Member

Default Watch it.

I drive a Ford truck. I buy Wal-Mart jeans (Wranglers.) I DO NOT ride a Harley or will pay the premium for one. I own a Cagiva Gran Canyon T. For the record I paid $9K new. It is now worth $9200. I can still get parts (I contacted a dealer in the UK. Only takes an extra week.)

Please do not catagory all American-made drivers as Harley owners, and don't compare my Ranger (Merkur derived motor by the way,) with a Grand-Am.

Ford was smart with the HD pickup. Pray on the stupid and take their money. Funny though. The truck is more advanced than the bikes.

And as far as not paying the premium for a Toyota, I see an aweful lot of HD tags on Toyota pickups.

Just be careful when you make these assumptions.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:05 AM   #203
TCAir
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

GT2 or standard GT?
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:41 AM   #204
kj10347
Founding Member

Default Re: mr. Canadian hero (saved lives w/ your open pipes?)

However, you can be equally resentful for American made iron and NOT be a hypocrite?

Had my Deuce for over a year - VTR1000 before that - and not a single problem, leak, etc with EITHER of them. The Deuce, it's worth more than I paid for it with 10k miles, selling the VTR1000, thats when I had to bend over.
kj10347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:45 AM   #205
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Official Harley Press Releases

Nah, that won't work, the vette needed help from lotus to develop heads that flowed. 4 valves on anything american is not possible without external consulting.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 09:50 AM   #206
tbuse
Founding Member

The V-Rod is based on the VR1000, so it makes sense to have a "name" that uses the initials "VR". If you'll look, Harley was using VR long before Yamaha started naming things V whatever. That slow enough?
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:11 AM   #207
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

1. ...And they got smaked down. Next.

2. ...If you are trying to tell me that Harley really expected to sell a large number of bikes anywhere but the US in the 80's you're way off. Sure, they would've liked to do so... but their b&b was/is here in the U.S. Harley wasn't going to sell that many bikes in Japan REGARDLESS of what the taxes were... sorry. Japan, correct me if I'm wrong, does (now) love all things American, but their licensing policy pretty much clamps down on those that want Harleys most over there, the young kids who pay big $$ for Levi's. This is why the big-four produce 125cc and 250cc cruiser-style bikes for only the home market (though Kawi brought theirs here this year). Next.

3. ...This point was already covered. Next.

It's not that hard to sell every bike you make when you're not making that many. Harley STILL has not really caught up to demand, and it's 2001.

THAT is why their bikes are so expensive in large part... supply and demand. There's just enough demand such that the (before very recently) VERY limited supply became quite pricey. Why do you think so many up-start small-bike builders in the US were springing up all over the place the last 1/2-dozen odd-years?.. to fill the gap Harley wouldn't. Even these small producers sold quite a few bikes, for big $$.

Done.

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 12:23 PM   #208
mctcom
Founding Member

The first "metric cruiser" by H-D!!! All the fastners are MM not SAE. I owned a '00 1200 Sportster but traded it in b/4 the warrentee was out because it was in the shop so many times for oil leaks, ect. The service manager even told me "They have never gotten them(oil leaks) all fixed on the Sporty". Even after 17 years !!! First thing the Sportster web page tells you is to buy the service manual. Now I know why.

I was hoping for the new engine for the Sportster, but H-D has done nothing new on 02 for it. Now I own a 1500 FI Vulcan. Single pin,counter balanced, and rubber mounted. 85 foot pounds of torque @2200 RPM. $9800.00 with a 4 year no deductible warrentee. 1000 miles, no, not one, problem. H-D if you could build a bike like this I would buy it.
mctcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 04:46 PM   #209
ronled
Founding Member

Mine is ordered. Yipee!

Are the pipes/sound on the video stock? I'm assuming.

I saw an advance copy of Cycle Canada (Aug) that has a full article. They said with the Screaming Eagle optional pipes it sounds o.k. at idle but all Harley at throttle.
ronled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 05:01 PM   #210
Larry
Founding Member

Great bike if you like being alone. the OL isn't gonna spend 10 miles on that postage stamp sized pillion. How much money for a bar hopper? This thing is gonna look crappy with a backrest, saddlebags, windshield, 2-up seat, or any other accessory that makes it ridable for any distance. The styling doesn't blow my skirt up either. Looks like every other "sportcruiser".

There are tourers/cruisers and there are sportbike/standards, but "sportcruiser" is an oxymoron. Just a compromise bike that does neither very well.A sportbike w/forward controls? Yeah, right. A power cruiser? Maybe, but cruisers are supposed to be comfortable.

It's got performance? Until a 600cc crotch rocket pulls alongside with 118 rear wheel ponies weighing 400 lbs and 13,000 rpm capable.

It's a cruiser? Not parked next to my Suzi 1500 LC, which can be a solo barhopper one minute, and a long range 2-up tourer 15 minutes later. (total investment of 10K).

I'd like to ride one but I wouldn't buy one. Same as VTX or Warrior. No sale. If I want a powerful, high priced barhopper, I'll buy a Big Dog with 107" S&S motor.
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote