Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-16-2001, 11:44 AM   #181
Templator
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

Yeah, it's a pretty bike,.. yeah, it's powerful,.. yeah,.. I'd like to have one. But anyone who wants to get a V-Rod for MSRP better be related to Willie G. And they better be willing to wait a year or more to take possesion of it. Hell, I'm 45. I don't buy green bananas anymore. I ain't waitin' a year for anything! (ask my "ex" wife) Harley seems to have done a good job of building a bike that will keep the realistic purists happy as well as those who hanker for a bit of high tech performance every now and again. But if they want to put them in the hands of the new faithful, they need to stop playing marketing games and get their dealers in line.
Templator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2001, 11:55 AM   #182
chainhead
Founding Member

Go back and re-read what I wrote, then check your calander. Did I not say "narly two decades" ? I was not speaking of the AMF years. Luckily AMF sold enough bowling balls to keep HD's doors open. In all fairness though, I haven't heard that the bowling balls suffered the same reliablilty problems as the AMF HD's.
chainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 02:46 PM   #183
Bluto
Founding Member

Default Hold on there...

American executives and lawyers may get paid more than their German counterparts, but German tradesmen and technicians are paid a lot better than Americans. I would be quite surprised if engineers didn't also make more money over there.

Going to Porsche may well have been cheaper. But if so, it's because their people did not have to go back to school to learn how to design a _high performance_ motor.

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:23 PM   #184
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Chainhead,

Check -your- calendar... the tarrif STARTED in 1983, and ran for 5 years. The company was purchased from AMF at least 2 years prior.

The entire period of the petition for and the duration of the tarrif was AFTER AMF. The tarrif ended 1988... point being: well within the 'nearly two decades' claim... and most folks would round that down to just ONE decade b/c the vast resurgence of Harley didn't really catch fire until perhaps 89 or 90, and I'm being generous I think.

And I quote:

"1983 Harley-Davidson successfully petitions the International Trade Commission (ITC) for tariff relief, which is granted April 1, 1983. The tariff, scheduled to end five years later, is placed on all imported Japanese motorcycles 700cc or larger as a response to Japanese motorcycle manufacturers stockpiling inventories of unsold motorcycles in the United States."

And, I definitely agree with Rod... the Japanese were guilty of some UNFAIR taxing in the reverse direction... which is why I said I =agreed= with the petition and granting of the tax. I should've stated that more plainly... my bad. (as much as I hate to use such and over-used term, it fits)

That doesn't remove the fact that if not for the taxation, Harley -at best- would've struggled to recover for quite a lot longer than they did. Lest you think I'm just beating them down, I'm not. I'm simply weary of people constantly upholding them as some kind of ridiculous, infallible, business-icons. They are now definitely a powerhouse, they certainly did do a lot to pull themselves up by their bootstraps... they most definitely did get a big ol' boost in the back-side though.

Just like Chrysler. Chrysler did good. Harley did good. Yippee!!! (In case you're too young to remember this chainhead, Chrysler borrowed a bunch of $$$ from the government to save the company... then paid it back (with interest I think!?)) in record time too.

For the record, I'm glad they (Harley) recovered.

(yeah, Chrysler too...).

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:33 PM   #185
ViragoDude
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

Harley sure spent a lot of cash and time to come up with a bike that still can't beet a 1986 V-Max!

Which by the way costs only $10,999 and has a history!

All this hype about it being a sport bike. Right!

I'll be patiently waiting for one to pull up next to

my FZ-1!

ViragoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:39 PM   #186
ViragoDude
Founding Member

Which one is making a bad as cruiser? On word!

VMAX! 1200cc of ask kicker! Still basically the

same old Max from the mid 80's. Why, no other

cruiser has ever come close. Now they are looking

at an upgrade. Harley up on power? Vmax makes

around 115 at the rear wheel not the crank.

Or it can come try to play with my FZ-1!

Seems like way too much money for way too

little performance! Any punk on a R-1 will

kill it!

Old 07-16-2001, 04:08 PM   #187
ViragoDude
Founding Member

Your no longer waiting for a new V-Max? Why?

I doubt that this Harley will beat an old V-Max.

FYI we put my friends on the Dyno at Corbin last year and it cranked out 115 hp! At the rear wheel not "over 100" at the crank. My FZ-1 has 143 hp at the crank (Yamaha spec sheet)! But only 120+

(Dynos have been 123 to 128 that I've seen) at the rear wheel! The VTX and Warrior may not be as fast but they are aircooled V twins! They are not water cooled! Different animals for different buyers. These are for those that want air cooling

and good performance and handling. Watercooled

Power Cruiser, Mr. Max is still King!

People who really want performance still will not go with a Harley! It goes to 9,000 big deal, I've spun my old Virago to 9,200! The FZ-1 goes to 11,500!

Let me see if I get this bike yet? For a real world price $21,000 + you get 600 sport bike HP in a bike that weighs in at 600 + Lb. Has a chassis that is too low, with too much rake to handle?

Is it just me or am I missing something here? I think from the MO review that MO is getting big bucks from Harley to promote this bike. Them calling that Whale a sport bike is more fiction than reality.

So for those who blow the 21K on this bike I would

really like to see how much you like it when my

friend on a $6,000 V-Max checks out on you!

Old 07-16-2001, 07:00 PM   #188
hakaida
Founding Member

Default Re: Welcome to Century 21!

haole
hakaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 07:00 PM   #189
hakaida
Founding Member

u must be a haole
hakaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 04:47 AM   #190
Auphliam
Founding Member

There's always one in the crowd. Someone who can't possibly see any reason to want a Harley. They could make a goddam 1000HP frog and they would still complain that it still bumps it's ass when it lands.

Funny how the VTX(lash monster) and Warrior(just plain ugly) are afforded the classification of "Different animals for different buyers" but the Harley is just plain junk. Pardon me but your bias is showing.