Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-15-2001, 11:18 AM   #161
MikeStew
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

It's interesting you should use the V65 as comparison, considering the numerous problems the early V4s had. 80's V4s had a high percentage of their cam shafts go bad (checked yours lately?), among others. Check this page for more details. Let's just say the V65 is not a good example to compare against.
MikeStew is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2001, 03:31 PM   #162
bentvalve
Founding Member

Default Re: Speaking of Ignorant Opinions...

Yes we were talking about motorcycles. And yes I did get off the beaten path. For that I apologize...but I do get sore at people who slam Hareley's because they can't afford them. The reason that Harley went to Porche is simple. It was cheaper. Harley makes more money and we pay more. Simple as that. This is the land of the big P.X. I did ride Harley's for 20 years, but don't no more...I can't afford them either. But that means that I don't automatically slam them. Eat them sour grapes. By the way I own a Suzuki 1100 4 banger...So go figure..hehe
bentvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:45 PM   #163
ZR-7
Founding Member

Default Re: Quize?

So tell me CDN-Hero:

Question: Why did I have to replace the rocker box gaskets not once, but twice on my '99 Sportster? Why did my friend have the same issue with his '00 Sporster, too?

Answer: ?

Question: Why didn't my '79 Suzuki GS750EX, '80's Kawasaki 250, 550, '85 Honda CB650SC, '94 Honda CB750, '94 Gold Wing, nor '00 Kawasaki ZR-7 ever leak a drop of fluid?

Answer: ?

Philip

'00 ZR-7
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 04:43 PM   #164
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

Never seen the V-Max in a comparo?

Go to "Manufacturer's Row." Scroll down to "Yamaha." Find "V-Max." See how it's compared to the CB1000, Speed Triple, and (I think) Monster. Draw your own conclusions.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 07:25 PM   #165
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Thanks, I had forgotten about that comparo. I also forgot that my VMax has 17" wheels and modern radial tires which solved all of the handling problems - and just like the report said there where a lot of them with stock tires. Also a mid sized windshield solves the wind problem. Too bad MO doesn't report drag strip times.

rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 03:24 AM   #166
Buffalo
Registered Member

Default Re: New Valkyrie

I work for an HD dealer. We have a 400lb customer who put 116,000 miles on his bike in 4 years (FXDL Dyna) The bottom end let go. He then put 500 miles on the new motor between 6pm on a Friday and 9am the next morning. My 1984 FXST Softail with built motor gets 180 - 200 miles before fueling riding 2 up.
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 04:08 AM   #167
GboroGoose
Founding Member

I think I'm going to go buy some Harley Davidson stock. (seriously...) It went up about 10% with this announcement.
GboroGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 04:23 AM   #168
fehuq
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

The reputation of Harley's being broken down on the side of the road is well established. Maybe Porche can help them out. And metric is superior to the english crap system we still have to use; the only reason it's still around is because Americans are too lazy to learn something new.
fehuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 04:41 AM   #169
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I agree with your statements in large part, but the only reason (or at least a very large reason) Harley is still "with us" and didn't die off in the early-to-mid 80's is that they lobbied for, and got, the huge tax on import bikes over 700cc.

Harley had at least one foot in the grave at that time and begged for relief from the waves of cheaper, better Japanese bikes in the form of that tax.

They got it, and it saved their skin... else, they very likely would have folded up. Let's not let the revisionist thinking based on how strong they are now cloud our memories, shall we? Harley was struggling b/c they could not compete on the performance and quality playing field and the Japanese were sticking it to them. Back then, there were as there ever will be the "loyal Harley customers"... but they weren't numerous enough to save Harley all by themselves... anyone that thinks so is flat kidding themselves. Harleys did NOT sell for the ridiculous mark-ups that they do now... again, revisionist history is projecting current sales models backwards in time to "rosey-up" the past b/c we're all touchy-feely about Harley these-days.

Now, I don't fault them for asking for that "help"... I think it's good that they survived... good for the motorcycle industry, good for America. Harley is a piece of American history whether anyone wants to admit it or not (most do, some don't).

Personally, I dig the new offering... probably the only Harley I'd consider buying and I guess that's their goal with this bike... to bring in new customers. I can't understand why ANY of the die-hard faithful or even the not-so-die-hards find any fault with this bike's styling at all. It looks like a full-on custom bike that could have rolled out of any number of high-profile SoCal custom shops! It -completely- succeeds in this respect! I find it hard to believe that they (the custom-shops) could do any better... Harley hit the nail on the head! Awesome looking bike... and I happen to think the radiator 'scoops' are probably one of the SLICKEST styling elements of the bike. It's FINALLY a cool looking treatment for a radiator! The custom-shops that simply cover them up with panels or fairings in an attempt to flat-out hide them have missed the point if you ask me.

Well, I've run-off on enough tangents for a while...

This bike definitely "works", no doubt about it. Good for them! They'll sell 'em all.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 05:11 AM   #170
bigjames
Premium Member

Yes, you may be a luddite and your buddy a whiner:

1988 ElectrGlide

169,000 miles and counting.

Same lower end

One major top end (valves gave up at 145,000)

2nd Ignition module (ok 3, but I burned up one accidently while working on it)

2nd Speedo cable

1st clutch calbe (bought a replacement 7 years ago, still not using)

3 Belts

Several base cylinder gaskets (I refuse to warm it up)

I could go one for ever, but I'll let the E-Glide do that!

Sounds like he really should quit working on it himself.

My other bike is a 2000 K1200LT, so yes, I know a little about luddites, the beemer folks call them Airheads (no insult intended, that is just what they call themselves).
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote