Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-14-2001, 05:36 PM   #151
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

Please, don't forget to include the VMax in the comparo. Just because it's got 4 cylinders nobody wants to come out and play . I've never seen the VMax in a comparo, and I'd like to see one.

I don't think people will be buying this new Harley because it has only 2 cylinders. This will be a different crowd than the traditionalist Harley buyer. I think they would also by a 4 cylinder version, I would.

I can't tell that my VMax is a 4 cyl bike looking at it from the side. And when I walk to the other side I still only see 2 cylinders that I can't tell aren't the same I saw on the first side. I have to be standing in front of it to notice that it's got 2 exhaust pipes coming out of the front.

So, please don't leave out the VMax in the comparo just because it's crippled by another pair of cylinders . It's a Muscle Bike, just like the V-Rod and the VTX and other 100+ HP cruisers.
rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2001, 05:46 PM   #152
rodneyj123
Registered Member

I agree, well said. This is the Harley I've been waiting for for 20 years and I want one. It's a modern design, with great looks and great power. I wouldn't be replacing my VMax but I would replace my BMW R1100R. This Harley is a Muscle Bike, just like my VMax and I want one. Oh, I already said that. Well what the heck, I'll say it again: I want one .
rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 06:57 PM   #153
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Re:Well Said!

Tommy my boy! Are you as coherent and flamboyant in real life? Or are you one of those shut in literary geniuses who only become this skillful with words through the anonymity of your keyboard? You go girl!

HA! Yourself.

CDN-Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 07:15 PM   #154
jimcruise
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

As long as "Oriental" bikes keep winning all the races and developing bikes that stand the test of time at a fair market price, then they will continue to be the majority - if the V-Rod can perform as suggested then more power to it for the USA. As it is, if your household is like the majority, then most things in it were/are manufactured abroad and that isn't likely to change until we start taking pride in what we produce; therefore metric is now the standard in most cases. If Harley can change past behaviour with the V-Rod by offering a dependable bike at "fair(?)" market value, then bravo!
jimcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 07:29 PM   #155
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Hail the Hero! Thank You, Thank You Very Much

Actually Gabe what my first post was about is trying to convince consumers and a company that built a reputation on tradition and customer loyalty not to walk away from the great machines that got them to where they are today. Yes I am fanatical about Harleys, all of them. The older the better. Air cooled, pushrods and carburetors have been good enough for the last 98 years. It's easy to understand technology that you don't need a $70/h mechanic and a lab engineer to decipher diagnose and repair. My point was that a sudden embrace of technology by some can alienate others. As far as I'm concerned I Love my bike a lot more than the other things you listed, probably because it is not an off the shelf machine and is not replacable (no one can replace the hours I've invested just the parts). Frankly my Harley was one of the last refuges of simplicity left in my life. On a final note going 90MPH maybe your thing but the typical Harley rider, in my opinion, will find more satisfaction in the scenery, comradeship and yes even the wrenching in any road trip. I would urge you Gabe to take a moment to straighten your back out, sit up straight, at a reasonable speed and take a look around you on your next motorcycle venture, it is the simple things in life that can give us back the most pleasure. Oh if you come accross that old Philco let me know, I could use the parts.
Old 07-14-2001, 07:43 PM   #156
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Harley Broken Down?

Now I wonder, Harley does outsell all the other motorcycle brands combined in North America, don't they? So one might deduce that it may be more likely to see a Harley with a mechanical failure than another manufacture just as a matter of percentages. One may also want to query as to the model year and condition of the Harley's you noted were "broken down". Especially considering the large number of older and older yet Harley Davidson's still on the road after twenty, thirty, forty even fifty years (older ones than this are worth to much money to ride, my opnion). Maybe, just maybe there are more, older Harley Davidson's on the road and attending events than any of the other imported bikes and that could confuse a person's perspective? Ya think?
Old 07-14-2001, 07:57 PM   #157
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Man you are right

Thanks, it doesn't happen very often and when it does it seldom gets noticed.
Old 07-14-2001, 11:23 PM   #158
Bantam
Founding Member

Default Re: Speaking of Ignorant Opinions...

I thought we were talking motorcycles or did I miss something...

If HD are that great why did they have to go to Porche for the engineering?
Bantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 04:15 AM   #159
bc3500s
Founding Member

Give me a break! Where do you think all the jap manufactures got the "V" design from? When you were all riding bikes that looked like ironing boards with wheels, you all laughed at a "V" engine. Now every jap manufacturer has one... different... maybe better, but they copied the look and feel.

Harley has had a "V" something for 80+ years.
bc3500s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 07:16 AM   #160
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Priorities

Some people have them and some people don't. One thing about paying extra for a Harley is that the money you spend doesn't go anywhere. Buy a Jap cruiser, spend $10, what's it worth in 4 years? Maybe $2500 - $3000. Buy a Harley, spend $20,000, what's it worth in 4 years? $13,000 - $15,000 if it's been ridden hard and beat up. If it's a garage trophy you'll get back close to what you paid for it. Hmm which is the better investment? Over the years I've also learned that 10 dollar sunglasses break just as easily as $40 ones.