Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-14-2001, 08:45 AM   #141
babyrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

man you are right.
babyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2001, 09:55 AM   #142
chainhead
Founding Member

I've been reading the responses posted here and I find it interesting that some people are unwilling to place their biases aside and look at a motorcycle for what it is. None of you schmoes (aside from the privileged moto journo's) has laid an eye on the bike and yet you already know ALL about it. I have no personal fondness for the air cooled harleys but alot of my friends ride them and I understand that although we look for different things from the motorcycling experience we're still the same under the skin.

As for this new bike...I'm as excited as hell and I can't wait to sample one (probably not an option immediatly as I'm sure harley has sold out the first two year's production run by now). I have never doubted that harley could do this. And I ask the doubter's to think about it....harley can sell every air cooled bike they make at a premium. They have been able to do this year in and year out for nearly two decades now, without the expense of racing programs or huge sums poured into R&D. No risky new models (H.D. got burned by that with the XLCR and the XR1000 a number of years ago. Those models were loved by the press yet collected dust in the showrooms.) to have to blow out at a discount to make room for the new year's models. It really made no sense to change. The indicators that harly would do this have been around for years. Why re-enter racing otherwise? H.D. wasn't winning in Superbike...but they WERE developing.

And to those who think H.D. engineers don't have the stuff, H.D. has had the pick of the litter for a long time. Do you have any idea how many resume's H.D. gets in one week? I'm pretty sure they ain't gonna be hiring any of YOU knowitalls.

Stop throwing spit balls and pay attention. H.D. just started class and we've all got a thing or two to learn yet.
chainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 11:25 AM   #143
Fugaziiv
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmm..

I also remember reading (and I'm not sure it was at MO) that another reason that honda went with a shaft was for reliability reasons...
Fugaziiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 11:31 AM   #144
testrider
Registered Member

"I'll stick to Jap and German for now and not worrying about wether or not the bike will take me to the next town without leaving me stranded."

I've heard that BMW customer warranty claims/100 units sold EXCEEDED Harley-Davidson customer warranty claims.

As for the Japanese, how many large displacement, v-twin, air-cooled models are currently offered? I'm aware of only a few. I'm not up to date on warranty claims for these comparative models produced abroad vs. H-D, but would be willing to bet that they are prone to higher failure rates than water-cooled versions of the same brand.

You do understand the thermodynamics involved in engineering air-cooled engines are far more complicated than water cooled versions? The expansion and contraction rates of different materials used in powerplants are far more manageable in a water cooled configuration because the operating temperature range is narrower and more predicatable under a wide range of user conditions. Not the case with air-cooled technology.

As for your friends, I'm dissappointed to hear about their ownership problems. Are you familiar with the maintenance practices of each of those 11 vehicles? Did they receive the proper service as outlined in the owner's manual, performed by H-D technicians?

I can only comment on my personal ownership experience. I currently own a Twin Cam. No major problems, but only 2000 miles so time will tell. The EVO I traded for it had 20,000 hard-ridden miles (mostly 2-up) and it never left me on the side of the road. Never leaked a drop of fluid.

testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 02:41 PM   #145
bentvalve
Founding Member

Default Re: Speaking of Ignorant Opinions...

How old are you boy?
bentvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 03:41 PM   #146
RidesaHDS
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

Can you say V-TWIN. Last time I checked the V-Max was a V-4!!! Oh, and by the way, the last ride I went on, we had to trailer 2 of the Jap bikes back! (Mainly because the tools we carry won't fit the metric junk they use on "Oriental" motorcycles!
RidesaHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 04:03 PM   #147
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Default Re: Hmm..

OK, I'm tired of hearing about engine torque being the load on belts, chains and driveshafts. Engine torque can only twist off the primary driven gear from the crankshaft. It has nothing to do with the load on the drive belt. It has to be multiplied by the primary drive ratio and then by the gear ratio in first gear (for maximum effect). THEN that result has to be divided by the transmission output sprockets radius to be converted into pounds of force on the belt. If you want a belt to handle more torque then make the sprockets bigger in diameter (this also works for chains).

Engine torque is a meaningless number for figuring out the load on any part of the motorcycle's drive train except for the primary driven gear!!!!!!!!! It's also meaningless for figuring out the acceleration of the bike!!!!!!! Harley riders started telling how much torque they made because they couldn't make any HP. The torque only tells you what displacement you've got, HP tells you how fast you bike will be.

Oh, and I LIKE this new Harley. I might have to buy one. It's soooooo Japaness looking .

Rod

rodneyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 04:21 PM   #148
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Default Re: Which Mfg?

Uh, actually the VMax does put out the "claimed" HP - 145 hp at the engine. It's the only cruiser that can run 10 second et's. It is an American style Muscle Bike.

I love the this new Harley but it's only barely faster than my BMW R1100R and is still 1 second slower than my VMax.

I agree, this is a great bike for the motor co and the motorcycle industry. Finaly, an American made Muscle Bike.

Rod
Old 07-14-2001, 05:10 PM   #149
rodneyj123
Registered Member

Default Re: FYI

I'm with you, I think this Harley looks great. Finally a cruiser with lots of horsepower and looks too. I might just have to own one to keep my VMax company at night.

This is the best bike that Harley has made in 99 years!

Old 07-14-2001, 05:20 PM   #150
Dryfly
Registered Member

Default Re: It

I wouldn't necessarily call a person who will probably not get any future business from a raped customer astute. Most if not all buyers would prefer not to receive the vasoline treatment if they had an option. Unfortunately, if you really want a Harley, you don't have a choice. I recall buying a car a few years ago that was in demand. I told the dealer I would pay the inflated price (because I wanted one bad). I also told him not to expect any future business from me due to his inflated pricing. Unfortunately for him, I've never been back. Wanting something and having the money to pay for it is NOT stupidity. It's a thing called desire. It simply burns a little deeper in some than others.
Dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote