Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-13-2001, 09:09 PM   #131
Gabe
Registered Member

Default All Hail the Hero!

He is so loyal to HD! I'm sure they'll give you a nice reward, like a, well, maybe you won't get anything from them, but you can create your own deluded sense of self-satisfaction for riding around on an antique bike for year after year. Oh, wait, you already did.

Actually, I'm just joking. I applaud your loyalty to your old hog. I stuck with my old air-cooled BMW for 5 years, and I learned a lot about riding on that thing.

But that's not what your original post was about. It was about deriding HD for building something modern and cutting edge, and belittleing consumers who like to have new stuff.

Maybe I should throw out my TV and buy an old Philco? Or start using a washboard to do laundry?

Some of us have come to the realization that riding is more fun (and safer) with new technology. Some of us don't like to spend an hour wrenching for 2 hours of riding. Some of us like to occasionally exceed 90 mph without feeling like the bike is going to explode.

Loyalty? I am fiercely loyal to my family, pets, friends, wife, and country. My motorcycle? I like it, but there's a million just like it. I can get another one.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2001, 10:18 PM   #132
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Let's raise a glass for the old VR1000!

While admittedly a spotty superbike effort, I always saluted HarleyÂ’s participation in a series that didnÂ’t directly translate into cruiser sales. Surprise! As is it turns out our Milwaukee friends had a little project cooking up on the back burner all along.

And while a perennial 10th place finish may not be the stuff of legends, it allowed those clever Milwaukee engineers to learn a thing or two about the go fast business.

Now letÂ’s see who has the last laugh.

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 01:20 AM   #133
Spooner
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

I hope Harley's liquid V-Star sells close to MSRP. That way real motorcyclists can afford them and buy them. They will put some actual mileage on the new bikes and we'll all know soon enough about reliability.
Spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 05:12 AM   #134
TommyJefferson
Founding Member

Default Amen Brother

The fact that these things even LIST for $17K is a sick, sick joke.

Most people who drive harley's also drive Chevy's or Fords. They balk at paying a $1000 premium to drive a Toyota and instead wind up buying a POS Grand Am that falls apart in 3 years.

Yet, when it comes time to buy a motorcycle, they line up in droves to bend over and take it right up the poop chute.

It's utterly ridiculous.

They'll wear Wal-Mart brand jeans and $6 sunglasses, but pay a $10,000 surcharge for a "brand" of motorcycle.

TommyJefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 05:26 AM   #135
TommyJefferson
Founding Member

Default It's not the dealers' fault

They are just doing what any astute business person is supposed to do, demand whatever price the market will bare.

The mind-blowing stupidity is on the part of the buyers who bend over and get raped on the price of these toys.

Old 07-14-2001, 05:34 AM   #136
TommyJefferson
Founding Member

Default Re: New Valkyrie

"Wake me when a 6 cylinder looks, sounds or feels half as amazing as a twin. "

Time to wake up Don.

[i]Wake me when I can put real forward controls on your stripped down Gold Wing.[i]"

Why they heck would anyone want "forward controls" on a motorcycle anyway.

I bet if it became fashionable to mount your gear shifter on the front forks and your clutch lever on the rear fender you'd be the first one to show up at the coffee house with the "cool new look".

Old 07-14-2001, 06:01 AM   #137
TommyJefferson
Founding Member

Default Speaking of Ignorant Opinions...

The US didn't "save Britan's bacon".

The Germans had NO intention of invading Britan during WWII. The Germans did everything but get on their knees and beg Britan to either leave them alone or help them fight Stalinist communism.

Churchhill goaded the US into fighting a horrible war on Britan's behalf because people like you believed the media hype at the time.

Machines don't have "soul". Aretha Franklin has "soul". The Pope has a "soul". A Harley doens't have anymore "soul" than my Chevy Z71, my Whirlpool washing machine, or my AR-15.

Semper Fi

Old 07-14-2001, 06:18 AM   #138
TommyJefferson
Founding Member

Default Well Said!

"Loyalty? I am fiercely loyal to my family, pets, friends, wife, and country. My motorcycle? I like it, but there's a million just like it. I can get another one."

HA!

Well said!!!
Old 07-14-2001, 07:21 AM   #139
nebo
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

Where i work it's guys in their 20s on Harleys, new, used, whatever, it's gotta be a Harley. Me and others in our 50s are riding Suzukis, buying Harley stock for retirement. Point is they got the young guys hooked now, and most of 'em don't care about the rebel image- they want girls on the back! it's the right bike for that I guess. I prefer women in other positions than seated behind me...
Old 07-14-2001, 07:43 AM   #140
babyrider
Founding Member

Default Re: Welcome to Century 21!

Nice, with porsche engineering,the japs will finally face some competition.
babyrider is offline   Reply With Quote