Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-13-2001, 04:50 PM   #121
javarilla
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

In fondest hopes that someone from Buell product development is viewing this site -- ditto....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2001, 04:52 PM   #122
javarilla
Registered Member

And again, in case Buell has a automated site surfer crawling this site for Buell references - ditto...
Old 07-13-2001, 05:35 PM   #123
BuellBoy
Founding Member

Default Re: Hmm..

All else being equal, I'd agree with you, BUT reread what I wrote:

1,200 pounds! Almost TWICE the weight of the VTX

350 horse power! Almost THREE TIMES the horsepower of the VTX

250 ft/lbs torque! More than TWICE the torque

Doesn't matter how you spin that, that's an AWFUL lot of stress on the drive belt!
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 06:32 PM   #124
DrDeath
Founding Member

I heard Harley came down on the dealers for it, but did not put a stop to it. They were telling their dealers that after the fad slows down where will their loyal customers be if they become disloyal to the Motorcompany because they got screwed.
DrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 06:59 PM   #125
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback, Great Story!

I love the videos! The bigger, the better!

B
Old 07-13-2001, 07:15 PM   #126
bentvalve
Founding Member

First off let me say that the U.S.A. saved your bacon....not once,but twice. Second, I have been riding since I have been 15, so thats 30 years. I rode motorcycles, lots of them, never bought a car until I was 26. In that time I have rode and owned every Jap and American bike made. Never owned a British Bike. Rode one BSA 650 chopper. Felt like I was riding a dog going side ways. Like a coon dog. As for the Harleys....everyone I know Improve on the existing design. That is what makes it have "soul". You can rebuild a Harley 5 or 6 times over 17 years, and The bike after each rebuild, has a different personailty, it's got the soul Baby. As for your Jap bikes, they are dependable, always have liked them. All of them. But they don't have soul. As far as the head and they rake goes, It is 3,000 miles from coast to coast in this country. When you ride that, all the worry about the above mentioned is nice. Come to think about it, California Is bigger than U.K. Come to think about it, if there was a war,,,,the State of California, could kick the U.K. right in the horses ass. So take your ignorant opinion's and put them on your horse.

Semper Fi.
bentvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 07:26 PM   #127
chuck_h
Founding Member

Default Re: New Valkyrie

Don't wake up -- cause you must be dreaming. Something to consider is that forward controls just don't work when you start dealing with speed, horsepower and handling. Neither does an upright seating position. Perhaps it isn't the new Valkyrie (if there IS a new Valkyrie)... but it will be something else.

Hey --- Wake me up when that new HD motor turns 100,000 miles without being re-built -

wake me up when it actually can cruise for more than 150 miles without having to stop for gas -

wake me up when you can comfortably ride the bike at speed for more than a couple of hours -

Wake me up when a Harley wins a Superbike race or the Iron Butt Rally.

Wake me up when Harley actually enters a race that wasn't designed for harleys.

---

Actually - I don't anything against HD's. If I had more garage space and more money - I'd have one.

BUT - time will tell.

That HD finally made the leap into MODERN motorcycles is a GOOD thing. Let's see how long they last.

They are only building 11,000 of them, so doesn't look like they are all that confident.

OH ---

Wake me up when HD can build a bike that will compete with any number of Hondas and Kawis, etc. and sell them for less than 10k.

Wake me up when HD builds a bike that will run those 100k miles and provide a tight motor like BMW.
chuck_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 07:38 PM   #128
DonM
Founding Member

Default Re: Bend over and be counted

I've been reading everyones remarks looking for a place to put mine, and I love that "Vaseline Tax", so I'll put my two cents in here.

Quite simply this new Harley sounds too good to be true. More power out of 1200cc than Honda's VTX 18000cc? Doubtful. A really compliant fork that is raked out to 38 degrees? A sporty handling bike with forward controls, steel frame, and cast iron cylinder linings? If you believe all that than I have an internet stock you might like to buy...

So here is what I think is happening. The power comes from updating a very old engine design to a newer one. The good handling must come from extra frame flex making up for a fork that can't slide. Or, to draw an analogy from the sport of snow skiing, changing to a hotdog style where you lean way back on the skis and steer by putting all your weight on the tail end.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 08:05 PM   #129
jimcruise
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

I hope Harley has the good sense to include a well-stocked tool kit of various wrenches to tighten down their versions of "shake, rattle, and roll;" another brilliant marketing move to offer silver and uh... well, silver; oh well, I guess a few tassles and and a "custom" paint job and you'll be as unique as the others. If you want a skinny-ass bike that will fly I still think there are a few V-Max's on the floors.
jimcruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 08:26 PM   #130
jimcruise
Founding Member

Dude, stay with the VMax for the ride - you've got a helluva performance bike for the size and cost. As a recent owner of a VTX, throw away the concept of the slow V-twin - this bike screams torque at the high end and looks like a big bike without handling like one. There was a quote from someone in one of the mags that said "I have no logical reason for wanting one (VTX), yet I still do." I went through the same rationale but am thoroughly glad I got one because it is truly an amazing bike for the cruiser class.
jimcruise is offline   Reply With Quote