Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/744-harley-v-rod-reader-feedback.html)

12er 07-13-2001 01:07 PM

Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

KWH I think may have hit the nail on the head with this post. Now before you flame hear me out. Just last week we were hit with a statement that motorcycle deaths are on the rise in america. Whats america's #1 steed of choice? The death trap manufacturer mentioned above. And after thinking about it, having rode numerous Harley models and many other bikes his point is extremly valid. The facts are Harleys are heavy, dont handle and absolutely do not stop. Many times I thought I was going to have to revert to the flintstone method to get my friends Harleys to a stop. Granted that would do about as much as the stock brakes do... Avoiding accidents is the main way to stay out of them. If your steed doesnt turn, stop or accelerate when you need it to your in a world of hurt. Just this morning I was talking to two Harley owners and was listening to them complain about the brakes or lack of on there bikes. Just a thought...

Bat_Matt 07-13-2001 01:11 PM

Agreed. Looks like the R 1200 C. A lot.

minime 07-13-2001 01:21 PM

Comparo soon I hope. V-Rod right around Sturgis time, VTX on standby, Mean Streak should be no problem (right, Kawasaki?) either.

As for the Buell, intro will be in about a month or so. And E. Buell assures me that it's been sufficiently wheelie-tested already. But, for some strange reason, I'm not sure I agree :)

Minime

RC23 07-13-2001 01:56 PM

Re: Harley V-Rod "Melonhead"

no way man, the yuppies all want Softtails for posing ;-)

RRocket 07-13-2001 02:47 PM

Buying a new V-Rod? Stock up on Vaseline and be prepared for Gouge Fest.....

ngall 07-13-2001 02:59 PM

Re: Don

Well, I'd rather look like I was humping a football than look like I was giving birth to a gas tank at 55mph (i.e. highway pegs and ape hangers). How the hell do you operate a motorcycle with those things anyways? On a side note, for $16k+ I hope HD invested a little more in the hardware on their new bike. I was not impressed with the SAE grade 5 bolts used for engine mounting on my friend's Sportster 1200. Especially for over $9k. Give me a break. At least use grade 8, if not AN. And is it a cardinal sin to use a chain on a cruiser? I'd feel much more confident with one. In fact, IF I were to buy a cruiser, I'd be more likely to buy a VTX because it DOES have shaft drive. It boggles my mind that HD is able to rip off so many people with their grossly overpriced bikes. Bravo to their marketing wizzardry.

ngall

xv1100s 07-13-2001 03:02 PM

Please don't take this as rude, but...11 out of 12 (literally) Harley owners I know (no bike more than 4 years old) have nagging or serious problems with their bikes. The worst case being a 2 year old Softail Classic that blew an intercam bearing...$4500. This is a manufacturer who makes a low quality product under the cover of a fairly nice external appearance and the previous years protection of Uncle Sam. Yes, this bike looks nice, but knowing those who own others, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I'll stick to Jap and German for now and not worrying about wether or not the bike will take me to the next town without leaving me stranded. If you buy one, make sure you always carry your cellphone....and stay in range!

ngall 07-13-2001 03:15 PM

Yes! This is what we need more of! More motorcycles should be at the level of the FJR1300. Although, this surely is not the zenith of motorcycle development. It is probably more of a milestone than the V-Rod, however, in terms of combining comfort, power, and performance.

Holleywood 07-13-2001 03:25 PM

O.k., other than this bike being a bit spendy, what's not to like? While the japanese companies are trying to "out-Harley" Harley-Davidson, the motor company has been busy redefining the ultimate cruising statement, a title they have long possessed. Good job!

RidesaHDS 07-13-2001 03:44 PM

Harley - Kicking butt again!!!!!!!!

It took Honda almost 50 years to "begin" to make ground on the Motor Company by building a 100+ h.p. v-twin - and it "only" took 1800cc's to do it. Now Harley is kicking their butts again with less than 1200cc's. WAY TO GO HARLEY!!!!!!!!