Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-13-2001, 11:30 AM   #101
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Re: Get a life already...

Yes please VANILLA! Hence forth all ice cream should be vanilla. All dogs should be Tarriers. All Water should be wet. All air should be gaseous. All T-Shirts should be black and above all, all Harley's should be air cooled, pushrod V-Twins. My 2 cents.
CDN-Hero is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2001, 11:38 AM   #102
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default FYI

To start: Porsche (spelled with an S before the C) is a different brand than BMW.

I agree with you that the bike will bring new customers to HD... like myself. While I never would have contemplated the possibility of buying ANY of the other HD bikes, now this "Yuppie Head" V-Rod may very well end up in my garage next to my Porsche and my other bikes (none of them a Harley at the time). This bike looks great and promises to be a lot of fun to ride.

If you don't like it that is just fine, but some of us are attracted to the new bike and have the means to purchase one.

Kudos to HD!

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:43 AM   #103
cranx
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley V-Rod Reader Feedback

Harley's really really don't do it for me, but the first thing I thought of was also the R1200C. It's nice to see that HD can actually change, though.
cranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 11:50 AM   #104
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Does this mean that Kawasaki should start calling their new power cruiser the "Pathetic Streak"?
Old 07-13-2001, 11:55 AM   #105
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Re: FYI My Bad

What an unfortunate error. I guess I should take a closer look at the next PorSche I park at my valet job. That way I'll learn to spell their name properly. Hey maybe the next PorSche I park will be yours, wouldn't that be a hoot. Agh ha ha ah... I guess I'll just be content knowing there is only one "T" in Softail.

Kudos to you Sir, and for an Extra $5 I'll keep your PorSche close.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:05 PM   #106
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Re: Pathetic Streak MUST READ!

Actually the rumor mill is going crazy, it seems the new Kawasaki Power Cruiser with have either the ZX1200 motor or a motor purchased from another Japanese company (no one will name names though). The potential purchased power plant is suspected to be a flat 6 cylinder with a rumored 1800cc. Either of these motors will be in the traditional Vulcan chassis. The new name for these power machiines? The "Vulcanery". No joke, I'm serious.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:19 PM   #107
wwalkersd
Founding Member

"...the butt ugly gauges and head light have to go..."

Well, y'see, Porsche had this warehouse full of leftover Porsche 928 headlights...
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:57 PM   #108
CDN-Hero
Founding Member

Default Don't Spill Your Drink (class in session)

Only Fluid comes from my Harley is bug juice. And it sees a lot of those. What most uninformed, uneducated and uncouth fellows who see an old Harley and say "Geeze Bob, that thing's leaking oil" don't understand is that the older chain oiler loss system were designed to do just that. Funny a number of Jap bikes like Suzuki and such had simular systems in the early seventies, just like AMF Harleys, to oil their chains. Yet no one remembers these leaking Jap bikes because none of them are memorable. Not like a Hydra-Glide Pan or a 69' Dual-Glide FL Pan/Shovel. Class is finished for the day for your homework assignment I want you to crawl under that crotch rocket (looks like you're humping a football) you call a motorcycle and if you can get that ugly hunk of plastic fairing off check for drips and drabs of fluid, you'll be surprised. Did you know that the lower fairing is designed not only for aerodynamics but as a safety catcher for fluid so nothing gets on the race track? That will be a bonus question on the next pop quiz.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:02 PM   #109
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: It

Yes, D207ZR radials...
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 01:06 PM   #110
Bat_Matt
Founding Member

No, they won't buy this bike. It's called expanding your product base to attract new customers and keep the stockholders happy, which they are. There is absolutely no way Harley is going to drop the air cooled motors. Hell, the Evo 2 isn't even that old. I see your point, though.

My guess is, Harley is trying to attract a slightly younger audience with this bike. Many younger motorcyclists see the overpriced Harley line up and start looking real hard at much cheaper Japanese cruisers, if they like cruisers at all. Harley probably figures that eventually the fat, balding well paid middle managers who grew up salivating over Harley's rebel image will eventually erode. So they need product which is appealing for some reason other than the name.

For now, of course, the air cooled bikes are a cash cow. This is just market positioning.
Bat_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote