Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-24-2001, 11:05 AM   #51
curver
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Futura vs. Ducati ST4 Reader Feedback

well i just traded in my st4 for a futura. i had 22,500 miles on that bike in 14 months with 5 of them winter. i calculated out my maint. costs and it was over $500/month. some items, valve adjustments, clutch and basket (15k miles) 3 sets of rotors(warranty), 1 set of brake pads, oil leak into clutch basket(warranty), broken exhaust valve spring(warranty), cam belts, and the list goes on. in the bike shop for service for over 1 month of the riding season and shop had it all winter to fix the other problems and wait for parts. Comparo so far is the aprilia handles better, smoother, cheeper valve adjustments, no belts, wet clutch(slipper i believe), 102 rwhp, i don't know what mo was doing for milage calculations but i am getting just over 40mpg and i only have on 1000 miles. you can buy a st4s but i bet you will have all of the same issues that the st4 has. as for looks i have recieved nothing but complements and it does draw quite a crowd.... but i have only had it for a week so the jury is still out....i loved the ducati when i first got it...
curver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2001, 04:23 PM   #52
PhilB
Founding Member

Default Not sure where you got the idea the ST2 is unreliable

Now I don't know much about the 4-valve (916-derived) bikes, as I haven't had much experience with them. The 2-valve (900ss-derived) bikes are very solid, however. I have a 1993 M900 monster, which is very similar to the ST2 mechanically. It serves as my primary transportation, and has been outstandingly reliable so far (78000 miles +). The valve adjustment intervals would be annoying if I lived in a place with no local dealer, but wouldn't be a fatal problem. Otherwise it has been no more trouble or expense than any other bike. I had the clutch replaced at about 62000, and valve guide seals at the same time. The lines to the oil cooler needed replacement at about 55000 miles. I've been through a couple of speedo cables and some tires and chains and sprockets and batteries and such. Got a Corbin seat when the original wore out at about 60000 miles. Got braided steel brake and clutch lines and barend mirrors. That's it. It even tours pretty well, although much over 500 miles in a day is tiring with no fairing. I wouldn't hesitate to take an ST2 anywhere. Sounds like I'd want to do some research before considering an ST4, though.
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:38 AM   #53
realdriver
Founding Member

I too am looking in the Sports tourer sector for a new bike, but haven't seen a review anywhere that tests VFR, Sprint, ST4 and Futura together. Please, please do a review of all 4 when Honda present their new VFR
realdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:39 AM   #54
realdriver
Founding Member

I too am looking in the Sports tourer sector for a new bike, but haven't seen a review anywhere that tests VFR, Sprint, ST4 and Futura together. Please, please do a review of all 4 when Honda present their new VFR
realdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 11:41 PM   #55
slowoldguy
Founding Member

Hey Boss,I presently own 3 Duc motored bikes(996,st4,gran canyon) with a combined mileage of 23000 over the last 2 years.Other than 3 occasions that idiot lights have gone on my 996 total warranty work has been nil.Back off the reliability crap until you put some miles on your bikes.My buddy has a Futura that he has put 3000 on and he loves it .I think it falls into corners too quickly and the front doesn't provide enough feedback over 120 in sweepers and it doesn't handle midcorner transitions as well .As far as touring range,none are good,the duc's best ,the vfr worst(and b4 mister sprint shows up,the trump is a better long haul tourer than any of them with plenty of motor but-arkansas twisties will have him crying for his momma).Also the st4 has plenty of acceleration and top speed to stay with any of the bikes mentioned.Ride what you like and remember,ride the corners hard-straightaways are for losers.slowoldguy
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 07:48 AM   #56
wwjdwithca
Founding Member

The Futura is clearly a design departure that could be higly praised, or flogged like a pack-mule, and that is an area that the Ducati would never be lowered. With that in mind the Ducati is clearly the winner in the design department. Why would you even consider buying a bike that someone may consider UGLY when you could buy a bike that is openly considered by all a very good looking macine.

wwjdwithca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 09:22 AM   #57
nitrofly
Founding Member

I guess it depends if you have a motorcycle as a personality enhancing accessory...and you gotsta be admired by the mostest peoples.

if u love the wild styling of the futura and despise the triumph inspired tupper-round blandness of the ducati like me...then get it!!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #58
RSTmike
Founding Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And if someone else thinking a certain bike is ugly stops you from purchasing the bike you personally like. You plainly have more issues than a bike will solve.
RSTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:06 AM   #59
RSTmike
Founding Member

Look at the Feb 05 issue of sportrider. All 3 are compared and the Futura comes out on top.
RSTmike is offline   Reply With Quote