Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-11-2001, 09:36 AM   #41
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Futura vs. Ducati ST4 Reader Feedback

I had the tremendous pleasure of test riding the Futura, the ST2 and the ST4 at the Honda hoot last month, and I want to share my impressions. First of all I didn't have any preconceived notions about sport tourers because I'd never ridden one before. Anyway I rode the Futura first on Wednesday. Aprilia took us on a fairly long ride on every kind of road there is, from Interstate 40 to long sweepers, to tight mountain twisties. I was most impressed with the RST's ergos, quality of build, instruments, motor, wide powerband, impressive acceleration, and handling. The 60 degree v-twin put out more vibration that the ZX-6R I had test ridden before it, but not enough to be a bother. The only disappointment at all was the weak exhaust tone, but I guess it won't bother the neighbors. Over all I REALLY liked the bike. I have short (29 inch) inseam and yet I had no trouble holding the bike stable at rest (on my tippy-toes). No complaints about the braking or shifting either. And the styling does tend to grow on you. After test riding several other bikes, I came back two days later for a second test ride and it just reinforced my initial impressions.

Next I test rode the Ducati ST2. I didn't expect it to live up to the Futura, but was I wrong! The ST2 was every bit as excellent as the Futura, and could it be(?) I actually enjoyed it more. The two big plusses for the Ducati was the better (almost magical) handling and the intoxicating motor. Now I understand the passion that people have for their Ducatis. (I had never ridden one before). I came back Friday morning for a test ride on the ST4, really wondering how it could top the ST2, but of course it did, with the same unbelievable handling and an even more delicious motor. To be fair I went back to ride the Futura one more time, but it didn't change my mind. Whatever conclusions MO came to, for my money, I'd rather have #1, the ST4; #2 the ST2; and #3 the Futura. But in this case I think you're going to be very happy with any of these bikes.

I had wanted to test ride the Interceptor also, but Honda saw fit to only bring VTX's and Gold Wings. Thanks a lot Honda.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2001, 09:19 PM   #42
BluFu
Founding Member

I just put a couple hundred miles on my new Futura and was relieved to get 40mpg. This is the best motorcycle I've ever ridden! My last bike was a BMW K1200RS on which I put over 30k miles. The Futura offers so much more handling, comfort and overall smiles per mile that I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone looking for a new ride.
BluFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 07:40 AM   #43
iillyyaa
Founding Member

Default Re: It is not really a 150 range... More like 200, IMHO.

I own an Aprilia RSV-1000 Mille. It also has a 5 gallon tank and the same engine as the Futura, except tuned for more top-end. I get 36 mpg average on the back roads when riding agressively, or 46+ mpg on the highway (top gear, ~75 mph.)

On the Mille, I still have over a gallon left when the light goes on. Then, if I start riding very conservatively, I can squeeze another 50 extra miles from it.

I took the RSV on a 3000+ mile trip last week, and the first leg of the trip was 400 highway miles - getting to the meeting place. The light came on at 180 miles.

My record range on the back roads so far was 203 miles when riding in the rain with my wife following me on her Duc'M900 (i.e. reasonable speed, low rpm, smooth throttle transitions.) BTW, I didn't run out that time, so I don't know what the true MAX range is.

The Rotax engine is so much fun! I think the guys who were doing the tests were playing around with the throttle too much, which resulted in poor range. Don't know what else could have caused that...

I know, the Futura is a little heavier and is possibly not as airodynamic as the Mille, but its engine is tuned for touring, which should offset those differences. It's an awesome bike! Don't make your final choice until you try it for yourself!!!

--

Ilya
iillyyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 12:52 PM   #44
sprintrdr
Founding Member

I like his idea for a longer test. The things you look for in a bike change a little when you have to live on it for a week. Try a week through the Utah and Colorado. You'll have a high speed desert crossing bookending a week of great mountain and canyon roads. Any bike that can handle all of that is a keeper.
sprintrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 09:33 AM   #45
v-core
Founding Member

Talk to an Aprilia mechanic and they'll tell you that it is very rare for an Aprilia to need valve adjustments unless it has high miles or been rode hard and put up wet.
v-core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 10:08 AM   #46
v-core
Founding Member

The design is odd but I like it. It is similar to the early 70's Bertone designed Ferraris.
v-core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 07:36 AM   #47
iacamacho
Founding Member

22 MPG???????...........no way!!!!!

I´ve read more than 4 posts of different Futura owners at the Aprilia USA Owners group http://www.aprilia-usa.com/ . and all they had to say is that the bikes average 40 MPG consistently......I think your bike was messed up!!!
iacamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:35 AM   #48
TorqNut
Founding Member

I had a ST4 (916) for 2+ years and out of that it spent 7+ months sitting waiting for parts. The Counter shaft retainer, which I meticulously checked, failed, took the counter shaft with it. Had to drop the entire engine, split the cases and wait 2 1/2 months for a new shaft.... then when retorquing the head stud bolts the studs pulled out of the engine cases. Disassemble, drill, tap, insert stainless inserts, reassemble.... you get the picture.

Maintenance interval is PATHETIC. In one summer, when the bike was acually on the road, I had to do 3 valve adjustments... UNACCEPTABLE in a touring bike.

I'll NEVER buy another Ducati. I don't care if they come out with SBK spec bikes for $10,000.

Is my experience unique? Maybe, maybe not. But I can say, almost with certainty, maintenance costs WILL be significantly higher.

Don't try to get a confession like this out of current Duck fans... they're worse than Harley owners when it comes to brand loyalty.

Yes it's beautiful, yes it's a total blast to ride (except for the frame flex), but it was a truly horrible ownership experience.

Take it or leave it. I know from experience. If you HAVE to have a Duck nothing anybody can say will sway you. The fellow that bought mine was told EVERYTHING... He almost broke his arm getting out the cash..
TorqNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 05:43 AM   #49
TorqNut
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Futura Mileage??

I got 40+ consistantly on the ST4 no matter how I rode it, and could run 240 mi on a tank. I wasn't sure it'd go 240 mi without breaking and I was amazed everytime it did. I'm sure the Futura can match that.

BTW, I had D&Ds and a perf chip on the Duck.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:47 AM   #50
TorqNut
Founding Member

Default Re: Want to really ride a great Sport-Tourer....Try the Triu

That's easy to do when you have an entire dealership footing the bill and will provide all that support.

If I'd had to repair one of the "maintenance incidents" on my ST4 it would have cost $3k + just for the labor.

You can have it!