Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-05-2001, 07:21 AM   #21
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia Futura vs. Ducati ST4 Reader Feedback

I WAS really happy.... (Sorry, typing fingers aren't working today.)
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2001, 07:25 AM   #22
tbuse
Founding Member

"I WAS really happy.... " (Sorry, typing fingers aren't working today.)
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 07:40 AM   #23
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: What about the ST4S??

Great explanation Minime. I think people often don't understand how things work. I recall a review that you did some time back where the bike from a specific manufacturer did not seem to fit with the other bikes. It was the same thing, you went to them asking for a bike to compare with a certain group, and they gave you something that didn't really fit.

I guess some people just think you guys can get any bike you want at any time, because you write a MC mag. Still a good article. Funny you mention the range problem, I just finished a review in Motorcyclist (probably June issue since I'm a little behind), and I don't recall them saying anything. Going to have to go back and now and look at it for milage or other range info.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 08:07 AM   #24
Carlton
Founding Member

LOL!! Noted. I'll be quiet now. About being disappointed, I sure hope you are wrong my friend.

Stay safe.

Carlton
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:08 AM   #25
kcobb
Founding Member

I just read a comparison between the Futura and FJR-1300 in the new Brit mag T.W.O. They basically said the FJR's seat was so uncomfortable they couldn't stand it. 80 miles and they had to get off to get the capillaries flowing again. Otherwise, a fine bike, though. I'm sure the seat problem could be fixed, anyway.

kcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:14 AM   #26
Carlton
Founding Member

I've read about the seat issue in other places too. Oh well, looks like a few hundred more for a Corbin. Any other problems noted, ie vibration, screen buffeting, etc.? How did the Futura do?

Carlton
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:27 AM   #27
kcobb
Founding Member

Great comparison, guys. Here are few more observations I had about the Futura after giving it a good looking over this past weekend (at MotoTek in Austin). Didn't test ride it yet, just sat on it, twisted the knobs, etc.

My first reaction is that it's pretty tall. I'm 5'9", which is somewhat average these days, and I was balls-of-the-feet on it. It also seemed rather top-heavy, taking a surprising amount of effort to go from side-stand to upright. And speaking of side-stand, it seemed about 1/2" too short. The bike leans over an alarming amount when on it.

Other maintenance issues. Chain adjustment looks easy. Checking oil is a bit awkward, you almost need a flashlight to peer in through one of the slits to check the level. You have to remove some bodywork to add oil, and that requires 2 different sized Allen wrenches.

I'm definitely leaning towards buying one, though. It goes bloody fast. I like the dealer, and he's local. I like the way it looks. You certainly won't see too many on the road, so it has good poser value. And the silver color matches my hair.

Old 07-05-2001, 09:34 AM   #28
kcobb
Founding Member

Let's see. They liked the FJR's screen better, since it was adjustable and provided more wind protection. The FJR's motor was smoother and more torquey. They didn't like the Futura's pie-chart fuel gauge. They also mentioned the 120-mile or so range as a problem. The Futura handled much better in the twisties and was very comfortable. Also mentioned the great headlight. I think one of the riders said he was "massively impressed the Aprillia." Overall, they said they didn't expect an outright winner going into it, since the two bikes are quite different. But at the end the Futura was the clear winner.

Old 07-05-2001, 11:40 AM   #29
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default What about the valve adjustment intervals?

That's the only thing that really bothers me about them.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 12:37 PM   #30
rvfrules
Founding Member

Default Boned again!

I've been to Ducati NoAm's website and they don't even list the ST4S. My dealer in Japan has a couple sitting on the showroom floor. Once again, the U.S. gets the short end of the stick when it comes to bikes.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote