Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-31-2000, 09:53 AM   #11
Daniel_Gerous
Founding Member

Default Re: Dainese Active Restraint Reader Feedback

You don't have to fill the survey form every time. I don't think you have to fill it out at all if you feel that it's invading your privacy. The password change is at the bottom of the survey form that you didn't want to look at. Relax !! Sheesh.

The apostrophe thing is hilarious. Keep previewing your post, and it keeps adding apostrophes.

Daniel_Gerous is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2001, 02:14 AM   #12
julle
Founding Member

I would say a big A!

This is something i for sure would invest in, eventhoug it only protects against front-impacts. It is still better than nothing! So what if it costs 500 $? it is cheap compared to the rest of your life in a wheelchair!

I'm bying! where can i get it denmark?
julle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 06:09 PM   #13
bikemonkey
Founding Member

The reason that governments step in to enact helmet laws is not likely due to motorcycle deaths, but due to people that almost die. The cost to nurse someone back to health costs a whole lot more than a pine box. The government is looking to save money. That's what its all about.

As for The Dainese vest... I like it. As long as it is comfortable and does not seem like you have a few steaks stuffed in your coat, I think I would get one.

I recently bought a back protector and always wear leathers when I ride. Because I would definitely look stupid if I crashed with my closet of safety gear. I want to walk away from an accident.

bikeMonkey
bikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 01:55 AM   #14
spaceace
Founding Member

My question is how well will it hold up sliding on pavement at 200 mph.(a question from a DragBike Racer)
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 04:08 AM   #15
amangones
Founding Member

Default It's NOT $500

Looks like a great idea. I would definitely consider buying one... HOWEVER, not that I want to insult your intelligence, but am I the only one who can read a couple of paragraph... everyone's been asking if it's 500... if you can read, it says "

Current estimates are a $500 increase in the price of an airbag equipped jacket and some three pounds of added weight. "

you know what that means right?

Let me repeat it ** $500 INCREASE **

i.e. if an airbag-equipped jacket is $500 (which I doubt), then this one would be $1000. Now you get a calculator if you don't believe me

$1000 makes me think about it a little bit before I jump out and buy it. If it's more, forget it.
amangones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:05 PM   #16
richsHP
Founding Member

I totally agree! I'm a budding new rider who just finished a motorcycle safety course, but I'm still concerned about safety. Car airbags save thousands of lives every year, so I'm all for it. I'm also an artist, so I care about style as well. At least it's Dainese that's designing the thing, so you know it'll be COOL. Be safe.
richsHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 08:14 PM   #17
richsHP
Founding Member

exactly. That's definitely another good reason. Guess who foots that medical bill. You and me! Some people act like the govt. is some kind of alien that comes from another planet that tries to take control of our lives, but if you remember your grade school history class--it's govt for the people, BY THE PEOPLE.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:15 PM   #18
richsHP
Founding Member

I'll be laughing at your funeral.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:38 AM   #19
dichotomy
Founding Member

This seems to be a very good idea at first glance. However, after I watched the mpeg in the article I’m not so sure. I was a witness to a pretty bad wreck involving a friend of mine several years ago. He got hit head on by a pickup truck with a combined impact speed of around 35 mph. (Much the same as one would have if T-boning a car that just turned left in front of you. You know, the “I didn’t even see that motorcycle” syndrome.) In any event, his injuries were consistent with the majority of frontal collisions. Head trauma, broken clavicle, teeth knocked out/shattered and inhaled into his lungs, broken ribs, knee and shin. The most serious injury was obviously the head trauma and his teeth being inhaled. The teeth thing may (or may not) have been prevented/lessened by the use of newer full-face helmets (his was a top of the line Bell at the time). The ribs and clavicle would almost certainly have been prevented or lessened by the use of this device (in itself possibly worth buying it). However, the injury that this thing is supposed to prevent wouldn’t have been lessened at all and possibly may have been exaggerated! As my friend’s body made initial contact with the front of the truck, his head was whipped around the pivot of his neck and slammed into the hood of the truck, which is very typical of a body first/head first impact. This thing looks like it would cause the exact same thing to happen but to a greater extent because of the added leverage caused by the bag hitting an object before the body with no forward restraint to the head and neck! (Watch the first mpeg closely! The dummies head and neck are greatly accelerated once the bag hits then are slammed into the crash object! Ouch!) The only thing that saves you in an auto crash when the air bag deploys is its ability to lessen the g-forces with which your head and neck are accelerated and then decelerated. That only works if it inflates in FRONT of your face! Maybe Dainese can work out the bugs here. But for my money, unless they fix the above issue I’ll just keep wearing my leathers/body armor and ride like the cell phone yapping, kid spanking, granny toting mini-vans and SUV’s are out to kill me. If they get the frontal impact thing figured out then I’ll be the first in line to buy one.
dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:34 PM   #20
kpinvt
Registered Member

The start of a new extreme sport. Crashing your bike at high speed into the guardrail on a bridge to see how much air you can get before you hit he water.